Looking for a decent pair of speakers for my PC Desk

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Well, I have found out that my previous pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV-30s have bit the dust, something went bad on the PCB and it's beyond the point of repair. I was hoping that it was just a bad cap as have been the case for other folks that bought these speakers but it's not the case.

So I'm looking for another pair of desktop speakers. I'm really not looking for a 2.1 system, just a 2.0 system will be just fine although I'm looking for speakers with at least the characteristics of studio monitors as I need these to be near field capable because of the space I have available to put them in. Here's what I'm looking for in a speaker pair:

• Has a 3" or 4" woofer and a decent sized tweeter
  • Is relatively tonally flat
  • Is powered or it at least doesn't require a silly amount of amplification
  • Has tight bass
  • Budget: Somewhere around $150, the lower the better
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Problems I have with Logitech speakers in general:

1) Bass has a tendency to sound muddy

2) Nowhere close to being tonally flat

3) Very much tuned for loud gaming

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Monoprice has several studio monitor sets that are basically m-audio clones, all of which go on sale from time to time(check next weekend):

3" - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605300
5" - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500
8" - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605800
Sub - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605999

Accessories4less also has this smaller Cambridge Audio 2.1 set for $99:
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...m5-2.1-multimedia-speaker-system-w/usb/1.html

Review: http://www.audioholics.com/computer-speaker-reviews/cambridge-audio-minx-m5-review

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
So I want to add a question to this thread:

If one is looking for a great set of speakers that will work for both games and music, and that person really enjoys quality audio especially for music... is a set of studio-type monitors going to be the better product, or would I be better off with a good and mostly-neutral 2.1 computer-specific set? I have heard good things of the Logitech Z623 set (mentioned above)... and of course there is the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 set. However, I had that same Klipsch set once already and it gave up the ghost after being put away in the basement for awhile. So, it likely got too damp or something, but still... the construction quality is poor, something I've seen mentioned far too many times for that Klipsch set, which is sad because they have, IMO, terrific sound for what they are. I'm afraid to invest in them if they are so riddled with poor quality control and generally have cheap construction.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So I want to add a question to this thread:

If one is looking for a great set of speakers that will work for both games and music, and that person really enjoys quality audio especially for music... is a set of studio-type monitors going to be the better product, or would I be better off with a good and mostly-neutral 2.1 computer-specific set? I have heard good things of the Logitech Z623 set (mentioned above)... and of course there is the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 set. However, I had that same Klipsch set once already and it gave up the ghost after being put away in the basement for awhile. So, it likely got too damp or something, but still... the construction quality is poor, something I've seen mentioned far too many times for that Klipsch set, which is sad because they have, IMO, terrific sound for what they are. I'm afraid to invest in them if they are so riddled with poor quality control and generally have cheap construction.

Depends on your budget. Personally I think of those 2.1 things as squawkers more than speakers. Monitors are a giant step up.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Those 3" speakers look pretty nice for the money. I'm sure the 5" are better speakers, but I think getting them properly placed on a desk might be a challenge.

I'm gonna check those prices in the next week and see if they have any deals going. My Altec Lansing 2.1 set that I have been using since 1995 are finally going out on me and I have been through all of these threads numerous times. Maybe I'll try something other than "computer speakers" this time around.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Those 3" speakers look pretty nice for the money. I'm sure the 5" are better speakers, but I think getting them properly placed on a desk might be a challenge.

I'm gonna check those prices in the next week and see if they have any deals going. My Altec Lansing 2.1 set that I have been using since 1995 are finally going out on me and I have been through all of these threads numerous times. Maybe I'll try something other than "computer speakers" this time around.

For you, Adam a7x :whiste:

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a7x/description

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Now here's a question:

how would one best incorporate high-quality audio into a triple-monitor setup? You can't exactly have the speakers/monitors flank your center display.

I've got my monitors mounted onto an adjustable three-wide single-pole mount. I've got them fairly high on the mount, as high as the current setup allows which offers maybe 4" or 5" of clearance below them.

Almost any quality set I use will thus have the tweeter blocked by the monitors, at the minimum. And I don't want tiny little cubes or anything like that Cambridge set.

Thoughts? I am really liking that Definitive Technology Incline set, they look great and the reviews are terrific. But... is there some way I can make it work?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
No room to the side of the monitors?

I feel like that might be far too wide of a stereo setup?

I might have enough room on the one side, but the left side hands off the edge of the desk. I do have another stand off the to side that might be a slight bit lower than the desk but my computer case is right next to the monitor so there isn't a place on the literal side of the display to put a tall speaker. I might.... MIGHT be able to scoot the table/stand over a little bit more to give space between it and the monitor...

3x23" 16:9 monitors is pretty damn wide though

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I feel like that might be far too wide of a stereo setup?

I might have enough room on the one side, but the left side hands off the edge of the desk. I do have another stand off the to side that might be a slight bit lower than the desk but my computer case is right next to the monitor so there isn't a place on the literal side of the display to put a tall speaker. I might.... MIGHT be able to scoot the table/stand over a little bit more to give space between it and the monitor...

3x23" 16:9 monitors is pretty damn wide though

Wide soundstage is a smaller problem than putting the speakers on their side.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Wide soundstage is a smaller problem than putting the speakers on their side.

Kinda figured as much... but I am curious, the design is usually to help ensure the tweeter is at the correct height and angle to get to your ear so that imaging is correct.

What if the were placed on their side but also carefully aimed upward? Think that would prevent an issue with proper imaging?

And what if they were put at the right width for soundstage but placed above the monitors, standing, but somehow properly aimed tilted downward? I suspect that might be difficult in my setup though... and I imagine that is likely worse than laying them on their side.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Kinda figured as much... but I am curious, the design is usually to help ensure the tweeter is at the correct height and angle to get to your ear so that imaging is correct.

What if the were placed on their side but also carefully aimed upward? Think that would prevent an issue with proper imaging?

And what if they were put at the right width for soundstage but placed above the monitors, standing, but somehow properly aimed tilted downward? I suspect that might be difficult in my setup though... and I imagine that is likely worse than laying them on their side.

No on their side is just bad news. The radiation pattern is designed for upright placement.

above aimed downward is better than on their side.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Yeah I think the only way for speakers too large would be above the displays. The displays are also angled outward at maybe 30-35º.

Speakers at the edge would be nearly even with my head, I think the soundstage would literally be too wide to be worth investing in anything that is supposed to be terrific.

I am going to be debating hard if something like the Definitive Technology Incline's are worth it if I have them above my displays and aimed down. Due to their incline, getting them to the right downward aim just might not work at all - they are tall and the tweeters are at the top of course. Two 4" woofers (one passive radiator) stacked with tweeter on top... to get them aimed down to have the tweeter pointing at the ears, logistically, it might not be worth the trouble. :\

Which puts me back looking at 3" and 4" monitors. Of which, almost certainly, will still need to be put above the displays, but at least they can be aimed down with relative ease.

It seems like perhaps only the AudioEngine 2's would fit without having to raise my monitors to the point of discomfort (hell, they should be a tad lower than they are right now), but unfortunately those aren't exactly in my budget... those DTs were also not in my budget, but I was drooling after a few reviews. Monitor-like with a touch of multimedia, the tiniest of bump in the bass - I'm no audio engineer or recording artist, so I don't demand 100% accuracy, but I do want full audio (to include solid mid-range) as well as great imaging and sound stage.

With that in mind, should I return to looking at something like the Klipsch set instead of 3" monitors (or even 4") that might be too lacking in the bass notes? I know I can add a sub, sure, but I'd rather not have to if it's not in the package - not at this point in my life. Maybe later where I might care to spend more on audio equipment in general, but I can only afford so much right now. :\

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah I think the only way for speakers too large would be above the displays. The displays are also angled outward at maybe 30-35º.

Speakers at the edge would be nearly even with my head, I think the soundstage would literally be too wide to be worth investing in anything that is supposed to be terrific.

I am going to be debating hard if something like the Definitive Technology Incline's are worth it if I have them above my displays and aimed down. Due to their incline, getting them to the right downward aim just might not work at all - they are tall and the tweeters are at the top of course. Two 4" woofers (one passive radiator) stacked with tweeter on top... to get them aimed down to have the tweeter pointing at the ears, logistically, it might not be worth the trouble. :\

Which puts me back looking at 3" and 4" monitors. Of which, almost certainly, will still need to be put above the displays, but at least they can be aimed down with relative ease.

It seems like perhaps only the AudioEngine 2's would fit without having to raise my monitors to the point of discomfort (hell, they should be a tad lower than they are right now), but unfortunately those aren't exactly in my budget... those DTs were also not in my budget, but I was drooling after a few reviews. Monitor-like with a touch of multimedia, the tiniest of bump in the bass - I'm no audio engineer or recording artist, so I don't demand 100% accuracy, but I do want full audio (to include solid mid-range) as well as great imaging and sound stage.

With that in mind, should I return to looking at something like the Klipsch set instead of 3" monitors (or even 4") that might be too lacking in the bass notes? I know I can add a sub, sure, but I'd rather not have to if it's not in the package - not at this point in my life. Maybe later where I might care to spend more on audio equipment in general, but I can only afford so much right now. :\

Or headphones.

really nothing wrong with speakers on the side of three monitors.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Or headphones.

really nothing wrong with speakers on the side of three monitors.

I have headphones now, and while I could definitely get much nicer ones (I have Sennheiser HD 280 pro), I would rather get an option where I can listen while not wearing anything. Or while I am working from home I can keep listening but put on my headset without messing with headphones... side benefit, really, but of course it's nice to have the option to choose whether I want to listen with open-air or more isolated with headphones.

Anyway, here's a crude drawing showing my setup:
stereo-imaging.png

That just seems to be very much against the rule of having an equilateral triangle between ears and monitors for proper imaging.

Now, I may sit further back when listening to music and just browsing the net, but I would be close when playing any games.

I might be able to push back the displays a fair bit if I lower them an inch, but the general idea remains - it just seems far too wide.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Oh man - the HD598SE is on sale for $95 at Amazon.... such an upgrade over my HD280... oooo dammit. But I want speakers too. argh

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I have headphones now, and while I could definitely get much nicer ones (I have Sennheiser HD 280 pro), I would rather get an option where I can listen while not wearing anything. Or while I am working from home I can keep listening but put on my headset without messing with headphones... side benefit, really, but of course it's nice to have the option to choose whether I want to listen with open-air or more isolated with headphones.

Anyway, here's a crude drawing showing my setup:
stereo-imaging.png

That just seems to be very much against the rule of having an equilateral triangle between ears and monitors for proper imaging.

Now, I may sit further back when listening to music and just browsing the net, but I would be close when playing any games.

I might be able to push back the displays a fair bit if I lower them an inch, but the general idea remains - it just seems far too wide.

Not really. Look at pictures of recording studios and you'll see how wide they set their speakers.