Looking for a couple of good SciFi books.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: thebestMAX
AtLien-

<<You have a library?! I am so jealous...

All I have is a bookcase (so far). Maybe if/when I get to be your age, eh? >>

Id trade you anytime!!!

I have a room, wall to wall, floor to ceiling bookcases but still have books stacked on the floor and I gave so many away.

Never had a home life or even my own room when I was a kid and traveled for business till I was in my early 50s. Really wish I had all the books I ever read or Id even settle for a list of them!

Just bought 5 more today!

If you have to surround yourself with something, book are your best choice!

Wow, I'm jealous too :D I wish I had time to read that much.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Another vote for Ringworld.

Check out the other books by Larry Niven. He has published several collections of short sci-fi stories that I love. They are great for a quick read.

Ryan

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
<<Wow, I'm jealous too I wish I had time to read that much.>>

Well, it used to be easier to read before the internet and TV. :D What else was there to do?

Hope you get what I mean but I have been reading since i can remember, even got an adult library card (when there were such things) by proving to the Head Librarian in the town where I grew up that I had far exceeded the content of the childrens section.

When I was traveling for work it was either be in the bar drinking, picking up women or reading. I got a little reading in then. :D

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
I read Ender's Game/Shadow and I, Robot by Asimov....as suggested by ppl on the board and i must say they were realllllllly good!!

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Steven Barnes (Streetlethal, Gorgon Child, Firedance) is underappreciated. Steve Perry (The Man Who Never Missed) is probably the best sci-fi writer none of you have heard of. ;)

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: thebestMAX
<<Wow, I'm jealous too I wish I had time to read that much.>>

Well, it used to be easier to read before the internet and TV. :D What else was there to do?

Hope you get what I mean but I have been reading since i can remember, even got an adult library card (when there were such things) by proving to the Head Librarian in the town where I grew up that I had far exceeded the content of the childrens section.

When I was traveling for work it was either be in the bar drinking, picking up women or reading. I got a little reading in then. :D

Hehe yeah, I know what you mean. So many distractions it makes it hard to find time to read. I would read now, but I'm kinda practicing guitar, and from 7:30-10pm on Monday nights I like to watch CBS sitcoms :D I've got "The Hunt for Red October" by Tom Clancy I'd like to read too.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
So many fun pursuits, so little time really for each of us.

Another author, any body ever read Harry Harrisons works?

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You will find great new books by:

David Brin

Alastair Reynolds

Kathleen Ann Goonan

just hit Amazon

/end Sci-fi otaku mode

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
the best, tons of his stuff. Slippery Jim diGriz, the Stainless Steel Rat, absolutely fabulous.

Garion

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2001
Ender's Game is a must-read. Definitely one of my all-time favorites. Some other interesting ones..

The Rings of the Masters series, and the Soulrider series both by Jack Chalker

Footfall, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Armor, by John Steakley (sp?)

Nimisha's Ship, by Anne Mccafrey

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Robert Heinlein (And almost anything else he writes!)

Battlefield Earth, L Ron Hubbaard (And don't pay attention to the movie. The book is incredible)

- G

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Posted too late for your vacation, but...

I posted this on Hot Deals a few months ago...free e-books from Baen Books.
Contains stuff by David Drake (already mentioned). If you like Drake, I also recommend David Weber and Eric Flint.

Also...

"Hyperion" by Dan Simmons
"The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" by Robert. A. Heinlein
"Footfall" by Niven & Pournelle
For Horror Sci-Fi - anything by H.P. Lovecraft
For Humor Sci-Fi - "Phule's Company" by Robert Asprin

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Battlefield Earth, L Ron Hubbaard (And don't pay attention to the movie. The book is incredible)
Well said! the book is excellent.David Brin is wicked smart and a great sci-fi writer, Earth, Startide Rising, The Uplift Wars,and the rest of the 2 Earth clans Trilogys, Sundiver, the short stories in Otherness all great. Benford's Timescape was a great concept as well. Roger Zelazny's Princes of Amber novels were great too.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
There's definitely some good stuff in this thread :) Here's some of my favorites (some of which others have already mentioned):

Iain Banks' Culture series (Player of Games; Consider Phlebas; Excession; Look to Windward; etc..)
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series
Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy (The Reality Dysfunction; The Neutronium Alchemist; The Naked God)
Daniel Keyes Moran (Emerald Eyes; The Long Run; The Last Dancer) *excellent, but rare and hard to find*
Bill Baldwin (The Helmsman; others in the series) lightweight, but a lot of fun
Joan D. Vinge (Snow Queen; Summer Queen)
Ian MacDonald (Desolation Road) quite possibly one of the strangest books I've ever read, extremely good if you can get into it
Steven Barnes (Streetlethal; Gorgon Child; Firedance)
Dan Simmons' Hyperion series - read the entire series!
Walter Jon Williams (Aristoi)
E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman and Skylark series' - lightweight and dated, but lots and lots of fun to read
Jack L. Chalker's Well World series, and his Flux and Anchor series
Vernor Vinge (anything by this author is excellent; The Peace War; Marooned in Realtime; A Fire Upon the Deep; A Deepness in the Sky)
Alan Dean Foster's Flinx novels - lightweight, but a good read with a bit of hidden complexity

There's many, many more.. :)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Another one:

John Varley (Titan; Wizard; Demon; and also don't forget Steel Beach; The Ophiuchi Hotline)
Greg Bear (Eon; Eternity; Legacy) Eon is one of the best scifi novels ever.

May 31, 2001
Anything by Melissa Scott, she is excellent at creating deep worlds and societies. Frederick Pohl writes great stuff too, reading Narabedla LTD right now.

Also, ARMOR by John Steakley.

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
The last time I was at Barnes and Noble they said that today was the day that Dune: House Corrino came out in paperback. I may have to head over to the store to get it tonight. The other two in the Dune prequels are fantastic. Herbert is coming out with a new one in September called Dune: The Butlerian Jihad (or something like that). Should be a good book.

Other than thos, my vote would go to Ringworld by Larry Niven. Doesn't get any better than that. He also has ten books called The Man-Kzin Wars I-X which are collections of short stories involving his Known Space. Great reads.

I'll also throw in a good word for Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. I read Ender's game years ago, then recently read Ender's Shadow and decided I had to read Ender's Game again. I found another one in the series at a clearance sale once but hadn't read it until now, called Children of the Mind. I think that's the last book in the Ender saga. Not quite as good, but how do you top the original? Great books all, so enjoy your reading time....

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
I've seen the movie "Starship Troopers" umpteen times, but I haven't read the book. Is it better than the movie, as most books usually are?

much much better than the movie, the movie sucked,

anything by heinlein

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
I don't see C.J. Cherryh listed...some very interesting reads. She's also collaborated w/ Anne McAffrey, with some interesting results. Certainly not the newest author, but certainly one I enjoy.