looking for a cheap inkjet that prints great text

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I got an R200 to use as my personal printer over the summer, and it's been working out great. Wonderful photos, great CDs and DVDs...text, not so good. The text is always just a bit fuzzy, and as I've done some research, it turns out this particular Epson model isn't so good at text printing. My mom and brother both own HP inkjets, and the text quality is wonderful on them - looks as good as a laser! I want to get one for printing text and basic graphics. Any recommendations? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a cheap text printing with some basic color capability for graphs and stuff (mostly for use for homework).

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
cheap laser
inkjet needs costly premium paper and good ink to even attempt crisp text

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
cheap laser
inkjet needs costly premium paper and good ink to even attempt crisp text

hmm...I want color with it tho, because I usually print out reports and stuff for school.

however...if I went the laser route, I could just print the text, then put the same piece of paper in the Epson to print color. hmm...

Staples had a Konica laser printer for $99 recently, too.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
color + laser is expensive and the color isn't so good. so yes, cheap route is to get both if you need photos and crisp text. printing reports no reason to buy expensive paper for and stuff..laser is great for everyday text stuff, crisp even on garbage paper, and cost per page beats inkjet obviously. if all u do is print stuff that always needs both photo color and text on the same page.. eek...

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
color + laser is expensive and the color isn't so good. so yes, cheap route is to get both if you need photos and crisp text. printing reports no reason to buy expensive paper for and stuff..laser is great for everyday text stuff, crisp even on garbage paper, and cost per page beats inkjet obviously. if all u do is print stuff that always needs both photo color and text on the same page.. eek...

nah, just once in awhile for reports. most of my homework for college is in black and white, its mostly text, but once in awhile I have reports that I need color for images, graphs, pie charts, etc.

I'm still thinking about that Samsung laser printer that I found out about recently...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Canon i860

under $100 . . . separate (large) black tank for text and eXcellint color when you need it . . . . quiet and fast, relatively cheap ink. ;)

:thumbsup:

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
Canon i860

under $100 . . . separate (large) black tank for text and eXcellint color when you need it . . . . quiet and fast, relatively cheap ink.

----------------

or a i560 or a pixma 3000 or 4000.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin
Canon i860

under $100 . . . separate (large) black tank for text and eXcellint color when you need it . . . . quiet and fast, relatively cheap ink. ;)

where can i get one? i checked newegg compusa and best buy, none of them carry the i860.

thanks.

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
Canon i860

Definitely. I have the iP4000 (the i860's replacement), and it pwns me.

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
It's been replaced by the ip 4000...

You might find a i860 on closeout at a reduced price.

Actually the i560 and it's replacement, the ip 3000 will do just as good text. The 4000 adds a photo black cartridge for better photos.