Looking for a 4-bay NAS or external enclosure for old HDDs

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by It's Not Lupus, Aug 7, 2014.

1. It's Not Lupus

It's Not Lupus Senior member

I'm looking for recommendations for a 4-bay NAS or external enclosure to put my old Samsung F1 and F3 1TB hard drives. This isn't for any important data, and I'm not looking to spend a lot. I need at least JBOD support.

I get the impression that some NAS units might be picky with the model of the drive.

I was thinking about an external enclosure like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817576009
    but that involves pairing it with another PC.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - external enclosure HDDs Forum Date
    USB 3 to M.2 SATA external enclosure with MX300 M.2? Or dedicated external SSD? Memory and Storage Jun 24, 2017
    Swapping HD's in the same external enclosure. Memory and Storage Feb 14, 2017
    Best 3.5" RAID 1 external enclosures? Memory and Storage Dec 4, 2016
    External HDD enclosure that turns off. Memory and Storage Jul 9, 2016
    Looking for 3.5" external hdd enclosure Memory and Storage Oct 19, 2015

3. BonzaiDuck

BonzaiDuck Lifer

I, too, am interested in this very topic. I had been converting IDE->USB2 external drive boxes to eSATA. I want to use a single port on my PCI-E SATA-3 controller, to connect with a port-multiplier in a NAS enclosure with its own power-supply and switch. The port-multiplier should allow for an addition of four drives or a net increase of three.

There is an outfit which should be pretty commonly known to enthusiasts:

www.addonics.com

or "Addonics." They offer controllers, port-multipliers, NAS enclosures with power supply. They've "been around" since the late 1990s.

4. dave_the_nerd

5. wasabiman123

wasabiman123 Member

If you want to plop down some $$ on a good 4 bay NAS for general purpose storage, and media stuff (no transcoding though), I can wholeheartedly recommend the Synology DS 414, it's been great to me so far. about 450$ on Amazon.
    For your immediate purposes though, an external enclosure makes the most sense.

6. BonzaiDuck

BonzaiDuck Lifer

I had come across this MediaSonic option before, and took a closer look at it.

I can only guess that the OP's needs are similar to mine. I want an external eSATA-connected box with its own power-supply that can be configured as a secondary drive-pool to my WHS-2011 server with the currently-installed Stablebit DrivePool software. I had been assured by their tech-support that such a drive pool can be mounted and dismounted from the server at will -- manually.

The MediaSonic box requires port-multiplier feature of a controller in the computer feeding the eSATA connection. The port-multiplier must deploy FIS-switching. The SATA-III controllers in my server fill the bill for that.

On the other hand, there have been reports of mixed results with use of port-multiplier.

7. dave_the_nerd

If nothing else, SATA port multipliers will bottleneck your performance.