Looking for a 1440p IPS higher refresh rate monitor for gaming and everyday use

thedummy

Nov 19, 2015
Hi

I recently got a Dell 2716DG, a 27"1440p 144Hz GSync monitor, to be used with a 1070. However, having worked with IPS dsplays for the past several years, I feel really hard using TN panels again. Although I set the Dell monitor to the most commonly used (and accepted settings), my out of the box Acer monitor that I got for 3 times less gave much better colors without any tweaks.

2ngfxva.png

xu7lw.png

So, is there any 1440p IPS monitor with higher refresh rates (90Hz+) for around $450. I don't necessarily need Gsync - I feel colors and viewing angles will be far more important than perceived smoothness (I don't play many FPSs either).

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Asus MG279Q is around $550. Freesync, which Nvidia chooses not to support, but it's the closest QHD 144Hz IPS to your price, I think.

Acer XF270HU was discontinued I think but you may also be able to find one for a similar price.

lefenzy

Nov 30, 2004
Which one is the TN? The one on the right? Can't tell.

Are TN panels really that bad? I use both TN and IPS, and minus the color shifting, I think TN is decent. The shifting isn't that strong on modern panels either, and I prefer TN shifting to VA contrast shift.

The Dell one is an 8-bit panel too. The reviews seem to say that the Dell panel color temperature and gamma are a bit off out of the box. Did you try perhaps downloading an icc profile from tftcentral? Not tuned for your specific monitor, but it can improve things.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
My PG278Q TN was replaced with a PG279Q IPS. The only difference I can tell is the matte coating and the viewing angles.