Looking at the HD 4870

DarkRPoS

Jan 19, 2008
Hey Anandtech,
I'm looking into replacing my 8600GT, and as a long time nvidia fan I was disappointed when ATI had the better options for my current price range. (Sub 200$.) I was looking at purchasing a HD 4870. Newegg had an open box Gigabyte model for 164$, which was a steal, but it went out of stock and disappeared. So I'm waiting on another good open box deal, though I doubt one as good as that will be coming again any time soon. If anyone knows of any other site besides the egg with a good deal on an HD 4870, I'd love to know. ;)

Anyway I've seen in benchmarks the HD 4870 and GTX260, which is slightly out of my price range, have been trading punches a bit. Which considering the price difference, I would be a bit pissed about if I was nvidia. Anyone have good words for the GTX260 at this point? Really seems to me like the HD 4870s got the deal due to price. Though I suppose i could go about 205$ for a GTX260, but newegg hasn't had them that cheap as far as I've seen.

My current worries are the following:
My PCI-E isn't 2.0, but from what I understand it should work fine anyway. Correct/incorrect?
My PSU is a 500w SeaSonic, I've heard varying reports on what the minimum and recommended PSU max output is for the HD 4870. Should I be ok? If not, can anyone rec a nice cheap replacement PSU?

Thanks for the time guys.

conlan

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DarkRPoS
Hey Anandtech,

My current worries are the following:
My PCI-E isn't 2.0, but from what I understand it should work fine anyway. Correct/incorrect? Correct
My PSU is a 500w SeaSonic, I've heard varying reports on what the minimum and recommended PSU max output is for the HD 4870. Should I be ok? If not, can anyone rec a nice cheap replacement PSU? Your PSU will work fine, and never buy a "cheap replacement" PSU

Thanks for the time guys.

DarkRPoS

Jan 19, 2008
I meant low price / good quality PSU ect. If there's one thing I know you don't slap in some no-name PSU unless you like your system like your eggs: Fried. :p But thanks for the help man, appreciate it.

DarkRPoS

Jan 19, 2008
Wow, I would've never expected the extra 512mb to make such a difference. I'm seriously going to have to consider paying a little more for the 1GB now. I think first thing to do is sell all these parts I have lying around. My room looks like it was a best buy computer section that had a tornado run through. :p

conlan

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
What resolution do you game at?

For higher resolutions, the 1GB model is the way to go IMHO.

DarkRPoS

Jan 19, 2008
1280x1024 currently but I'll be upping my monitor from currently 19" to 24" - 30" pretty soon, and the card I'm purchasing should be one that I'll keep around for awhile. So the 1GB would probably be a nice deal for me.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: DarkRPoS
Wow, I would've never expected the extra 512mb to make such a difference. I'm seriously going to have to consider paying a little more for the 1GB now. I think first thing to do is sell all these parts I have lying around. My room looks like it was a best buy computer section that had a tornado run through. :p

Keep in mind that those big improvements in the AT review are at 2560x1600 res with 4xAA. Don't get me wrong, the extra 512MB is cetainly helpful, but don't waste money on it unless it'll really be a benefit to you. But if you are going with a 24"+ monitor then cetainly the 1GB makes sense.

DarkRPoS

Jan 19, 2008
I think the main reason the 1GB is more appealing right now is that I am not looking to replace it in the near future. (Plus it isn't that much more $$ anyway.) I'd be on an i7 build before I'd want to get rid of it, and even then, I'd rather see it in Crossfire rather than be replaced. I've been buying low-mid range for awhile now, and I don't like having to replace my GFX card as frequently as I have been. The X2s are certainly out of my grasp but I think the 1GB coupled with the choice of crossfire in the future will keep me happy for quite awhile, seeing as how Starcraft II and Diablo III are probably going to be my main games in the next few years. I'm still playing SC:BW and WC3:TFT currently. :3