Looking at my opteron 170 box. Can I just install it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

johnnq1

Mar 4, 2007
alright. one of the cores gave me rounding errors in the first 15 minutes of prime. i guess this cpu is going back before my 7 days are up. if i run memtest just to check the memory, would this cpu give me biased results? i'd rather not install the 3200 just to recheck the memory.

johnnq1

Mar 4, 2007
well this is just great. 6 minutes into the test and there are over 100 errors. says "failing address 0005c1f2b7c - 1473.1mb" if that means anything. so, assuming my cpu just has high temps, i'm in a worst case scenario situation. i could return the cpu and take a 30 dollar loss, then upgrade to am2 or c2d...OR buy new, super expensive ddr1 ram. i bought this cheapie mushkin stuff and i'm pretty sure the warranty ran out (gonna check that after this post). is there any way the ram could be fixed? i don't know what could have happened...i ran every test possible for 24 hours the first two weeks i got this thing. no problems...

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Okay, so after 15 posts in this thread, here's what we know: you have an Opteron 170 that you think you aren't overclocking, and your system isn't stable. Please include the rest of the details that we'd need to know, to be able to help you.

johnnq1

Mar 4, 2007
ok:
opteron 170 that gets very high temps compared to my previously not overclocked 3200 venice. i have 2 days left to return/rma to newegg.
mushkin cheap ram that gets errors in memtest. it used to work flawlessly...but not anymore. it has a lifetime warranty, but i don't see this model for sale anymore. where could i check?

assuming warranty is gone, i have to either A: spend lots of money for new ddr1, B: RETURN new 170 and upgrade either am2 or c2d. i've been totally out of the loop for 2 years so i'm gonna have to do a lot of reading if my warranty is gone.

scrawnypaleguy

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2005
Those temps aren't so bad. I recently installed an Opty 175 and running at stock speeds and volts I get high 50's load temps through Orthos, and I'm using a Scythe Ninja (granted, my case fans are all set to 5v, but still)