lookin for a fast 4 port-router

nxh

Nov 9, 1999
I previously used a 3com wired router but internet connection speeds were not being used to its fullest when connect to one of its ports. Then I switched to a networkeverywhere 4 port wired router but it still didnt utilize the available internet bandwith to its fullest when i had my computer connected to one of its ports.
I know this fact when i connect directly to the cable modem i get around 1400bps download speeds vs when its connected to the router i get 200bps max.
Now, I'm using the linksys wrt54g router and my download speeds are around 1400bps when connected through one of its ports.
But now i need a second one for my apartment and dont want to pay extra for the wireless feature that i dont need, does any know what other 4 port router other there uses the same chipset?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Slower speeds through a router is not normal at all. The one you were using that went from 1400 to 200 was defective. Any functional router will have nearly the same performance as a direct connect to modem.

mboy

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: skyking
Slower speeds through a router is not normal at all. The one you were using that went from 1400 to 200 was defective. Any functional router will have nearly the same performance as a direct connect to modem.

Actually, that is not entirely correct. On SUPER fast connections (like Optimum Online 8mb down 1 mb up connects) a router with a 100mb WAN port is almost always faster then one with a 10mb port. Even tho 10mb is should theoretically more then enough to handle the connection, the reality is that 100mb WAN port routers perform MUCH better on OOL.
For a 1.4mb conection tho, a 10mb WAN port router should not bottleneckyou at all. That was most likely a defective router.
Any one of the SMC's should give you full bandwidth.
I was using a SonicWall original Soho and was limiting me to about 4.5mbps down. Switched to a snapgear SME 550 and what do you know, back to full 8mb+.
Go to the OOL forum at DSL to see what I am talking about.

MIght also want to play with MTU settings on the router if the setting is available.