Look what I found on the side of the road.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
So we (my grilfriend and I) were on the way from lunch today and out of nowhere this black streak flies right in front of our car and then goes straight up in the air. The car in comming the opposite direction had nailed it.

We stopped and got out of the car, as did other to see what the hell happened. Turns out THIS had been hit, and was now lodged in a barbwire fence. We got some blankets and pulled it out of the fence. I held it in the back seat as my girlfriend drove to the vet.

Pic is of vet holding the hawk. He just grabbed it out of the blankets like there was nothing to it.

EDIT: The vet gave it a visual clean bill of health, but kept it for observation. He specializes in birds.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
congrats to you. I take my hat of to you sir for doing the right thing and saving that birds life

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I hear the make good eatin' - you should have just taken it home and fried it up :).

Just kidding.

So does the bird have broken wings - what's the prognosis?

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
The vet gave it the ok, but kept it for observation. No bill.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
those hawks hunt all the roadside ditches looking for some tender vittles. i'd just have kept driving, i'm sure they get smoked by cars on a daily basis.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
I almost hit something similar on my taking off on Thursday, had to swerve.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What an awsome looking bird. :)

Good of you to take care of the bird. Now will the vet just turn it loose into orbit, once he's evaluated it, or is he going to keep it as a pet?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

Good of you to take care of the bird. Now will the vet just turn it loose into orbit, once he's evaluated it, or is he going to keep it as a pet?

Hopefully the vet will turn it loose again.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004

He's a really good vet, I'm sure he'll let it go. He offered it to us, but we already have 2 dogs, 4 cats and a bird. Thats not counting her parents 4 dogs and 3 cats, and their bird.

My dad asked if we added it to our zoo. :(

Circlenaut

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001

It's a wild animal how could the vet even consider giving it as a pet?