Look how they massacred my boy: the 2024 Mustang

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Could be worse, look how they massacred my boy

db6a2737.jpg

I saw one of those in that bright safety yellow recently. The nose was ridiculously huge in person lol. Like distracting large.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I saw one of those in that bright safety yellow recently. The nose was ridiculously huge in person lol. Like distracting large.
THE VISCOUNT: No one? But wait! I'll treat him to. . .one of my quips!. . .
See here!. . . (He goes up to Cyrano, who is watching him, and with a conceited air): Sir, your nose is. . .hmm. . .it is. . .very big!

CYRANO (gravely): Very!

THE VISCOUNT (laughing): Ha!

CYRANO (imperturbably): Is that all?. . .

THE VISCOUNT: What do you mean?

CYRANO: Ah no! young blade! That was a trifle short!
You might have said at least a hundred things
By varying the tone. . .like this, suppose,. . .
Aggressive: 'Sir, if I had such a nose I'd amputate it!'
Friendly: 'When you sup It must annoy you, dipping in your cup;
You need a drinking-bowl of special shape!'
Descriptive: ''Tis a rock!. . .a peak!. . .a cape! --
A cape, forsooth! 'Tis a peninsular!'
Curious: 'How serves that oblong capsular?
For scissor-sheath? Or pot to hold your ink?'
Gracious: 'You love the little birds, I think?
I see you've managed with a fond research
To find their tiny claws a roomy perch!'
Truculent: 'When you smoke your pipe. . .suppose
That the tobacco-smoke spouts from your nose--
Do not the neighbors, as the fumes rise higher,
Cry terror-struck: "The chimney is afire"?'
Considerate: 'Take care,. . .your head bowed low
By such a weight. . .lest head o'er heels you go!'
Tender: 'Pray get a small umbrella made,
Lest its bright color in the sun should fade!'
Pedantic: 'That beast Aristophanes Names Hippocamelelephantoles
Must have possessed just such a solid lump
Of flesh and bone, beneath his forehead's bump!'
Cavalier: 'The last fashion, friend, that hook?
To hang your hat on? 'Tis a useful crook!'
Emphatic: 'No wind, O majestic nose,
Can give THEE cold!--save when the mistral blows!'
Dramatic: 'When it bleeds, what a Red Sea!'
Admiring: 'Sign for a perfumery!'
Lyric: 'Is this a conch?. . .a Triton you?'
Simple: 'When is the monument on view?'
Rustic: 'That thing a nose? Marry-come-up!
'Tis a dwarf pumpkin, or a prize turnip!'
Military: 'Point against cavalry!'
Practical: 'Put it in a lottery!
Assuredly 'twould be the biggest prize!'
Or. . .parodying Pyramus' sighs. . .
'Behold the nose that mars the harmony
Of its master's phiz! blushing its treachery!'
--Such, my dear sir, is what you might have said,
Had you of wit or letters the least jot:
But, O most lamentable man!--of wit
You never had an atom, and of letters
You have three letters only!--they spell Ass!
And--had you had the necessary wit,
To serve me all the pleasantries I quote
Before this noble audience. . .e'en so,
You would not have been let to utter one--
Nay, not the half or quarter of such jest!
I take them from myself all in good part,
But not from any other man that breathes!

• Haha
Reactions: Elfear

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I was a BMW aficionado for decades, starting with my first one, a 1972 2002 Tii. (really should have kept that ugly little orange car)
My last one was a 1990 735i E32. Wonderful car to drive, PITA to work on, but still more or less manageable for me.
Damn, Boomer. Respect!

Reactions: Thump553

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Ugh, big grill syndrome. Lexus, BMW et al. At some point, the manufacturers must have all commissioned the self-same focus groups . . . recruited in a Walmart parking lot.

Yeah, that grill on the 'Stang. They say Ford wanted to more pointedly evoke their "heritage." It just doesn't work with the rest of the car, a step back from the current one, which is just fine!

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Reference the docu-drama biographical movie, "Ford vs Ferrari". There are no script-lines that I can remember wherein Ken Miles or Carroll Shelby expressed any concern for the GT Mustang's looks. As a matter of appearance and "image", only the flawed executives of Ford who resisted Ken Miles as a driver choice were obsessed with that. But Shelby's design team were attaching little streamers of crepe paper all over the car during test runs. They were replacing engines to reduce weight, center-of-gravity and other important factors.

If the new Mustang, like the Mustang Mach-E, is electric, the lack of a radiator and cooling subsystem universal to an IC engine has all sorts of implications for looks, while the designer -- if reasonably perfectionist -- would have still been interested in matters of drag and handling.

After all, in a market not yet rich enough with charging stations and charge-life mileage, those factors would still be paramount.

Of course, you can tell me that we're still discussing an IC engine with the Mustang models submitted, because I hadn't looked into the conventional sporty design: I'd only scoped out the Mach-E for my own prospects.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I didn't mean the performance of the powertrains, but the reliability of certain models. I.e. the E60 M5 is pretty much a bad car to purchase.

The 7 Series Bangle butt is rightfully the umm, butt of many jokes. But a lot of the 2000s BMW designs have aged pretty well IMHO.

I offer to you the new Genesis G80 and the Lexus LX. (Btw Hyundai/Genesis are executing really well, so I wasn't implying they don't make great cars.) Ever larger grilles are just a "thing" now with luxury cars. Let's hope one day there will be a reversal.

The grill is horrifying, the headlights look like stickers. Otherwise, I like a lot of that car, and in particular that the interior still looks like a car and not some stupid video game. I like a Genesis, too.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Well... one could argue that 'real' muscle cars aren't fuel injected and have no more than 4 gears. Or airbags for that matter, but I digress.

That being said yea the reworked front end isn't great. Seems like we're seeing a shift to smaller headlamps and big grills with loads of plastic trim.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
EVERY Mustang built after 1978 is god damn ugly.
Stop whining.
This isn't new.
In fact its older than many of the people on this forum right now.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
EVERY Mustang built after 1978 is god damn ugly.
Stop whining.
This isn't new.
In fact its older than many of the people on this forum right now.

Wrong. If you can’t see beauty in a third generation GT350 then you have no taste. You might as well buy any modern crossover and be done with it.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I’m considering an upgrade, but I want to test drive and see it in person first. If I don’t like it will probably drop in a super charger for my current ride for about 1/5 the cost of a new one.

FAF5DB17-8747-4D97-B1FF-4FA0564BD095.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I’m considering an upgrade, but I want to test drive and see it in person first. If I don’t like it will probably drop in a super charger for my current ride for about 1/5 the cost of a new one.

View attachment 80189

I almost got a yellow one! It's such a great color IRL. Lambos are the only other car I like yellow on, but the yellow they picked for your model is just right! They came out with a newer yellow that doesn't look as good.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I almost got a yellow one! It's such a great color IRL. Lambos are the only other car I like yellow on, but the yellow they picked for your model is just right! They came out with a newer yellow that doesn't look as good.
Its funny I started dreaming about getting a Mustang about the time 2018 model was about to drop. I was excited about the slight boost in HP and the 10 speed automatic. I at the time had a fairly crappy IT job pay wise so it was more or less a long term or pipe dream. Thankfully I randomly got in touch with a head hunter for a contract job with 2x pay and was able to actually buy something. I went to a dealership to look at this 2015 GT that only had 8K miles on it after 3 years and it had every option except the performance pack. So I have the premium, Recaro seats and shaker 12 speaker audio ect... for a very reasonable cost and its long paid off. The drive home was scary as it was snowing that day and a 100 mile drive and I did'nt learn until 3 months later the car has summer tires on!
I did later install the Ford Performance power pack 2 for some torque/hp gains and a 91 ocatne gas tune up from 87. I also removed the exhaust resonator and installed an x-pipe and installed an axel back Roush muffler. It is very loud and I love it.