Look forward to paying more for gas this summer

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I don't understand all this oil crap. They say it should be higher in the summer since demand is higher, but in the winter you got all these homes using some type to oil product to warm their homes which jacks up the price. To me, it's a conspiracy with the oil companies and OPEC. Gas prices jump 10 cents at the pump overnight but it takes weeks to come back down. Also this supply and demand stuff is a farce, when was the last time we ran out of oil? 70's or so. That wasn't because demand was higher than the supply. The demand pretty much stays the same, do you think that cutting back OPEC production would lowerer demand, probably not. But I don't think that cutting back 10% will cause a supply problem, so why would oil prices rise? I don't get it, someone explain it to me.

KK

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: buckmasterson
Those Opec'ers are gonna soak us again!

Opec

"Trent Duffy, a White House spokesman, said: "It is our hope that producers do not take actions that undermine the American economy and American workers." So far, high oil prices have shown little sign of holding back the US economic recovery."

Not to worry, they'll still be plenty of the rich folks on the road in the U.S. according to the President.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: KK
To me, it's a conspiracy with the oil companies and OPEC.

KK

You think? Of course it is, but maybe not to the extent you think it is. Look at the last couple of years when the stock market tanked. There was at least one industry cranking out tremendous profits. The oil companies have succeeded. We are now conditioned enough to think that $1.49 for a gallon of gas is cheap.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: rudder

KK

You think? Of course it is, but maybe not to the extent you think it is. Look at the last couple of years when the stock market tanked. There was at least one industry cranking out tremendous profits. The oil companies have succeeded. We are now conditioned enough to think that $1.49 for a gallon of gas is cheap.

I wouldn't mind paying one year 1.20 for a gallon, then the next year they up it to 1.22, then 1.24 the next, and so on. This crap of bumping up the price 15 cents overnight is not right.

KK

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
I guess no know knows crap about economics (surprise :roll;). OPEC is a Cartel. That means that they control the price of oil, period. If they want to make more money, they can. There are no regulations, or governing body to control them. They do as they please. Supply and Demand do not apply because demand is so overpowering.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

KK

It is, I pay about 1.70 :(

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

KK

I wouldn't mind paying one year 1.20 for a gallon, then the next year they up it to 1.22, then 1.24 the next, and so on. This crap of bumping up the price 15 cents overnight is not right.

KK

"This crap of bumping up the price 15 cents overnight is not right."

Awwwww, you don't agree with your fellow AT experts that this is absolutely neccessary by the Oil Barons, that it is all Supply and Demand? :Q

I hope the Oil Barons raise it so high that we have all these empty hulks of SUV's abandoned all over the place. It would be awesome, it would look like the beginnings of the makings of a scene from Terminator. :D

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Considering that when adjusted for inflation, gas prices are still pretty cheap, bring on the higher prices! Get the lemmings out of their SUVs.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur
Considering that when adjusted for inflation, gas prices are still pretty cheap, bring on the higher prices! Get the lemmings out of their SUVs.

...just picked die Frau up an SUV; looks like she'll buy her own gas this summer.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003

Opec

Yeah Cartels dont work. Someone in OPEC will cave to the almighty dollar and pump more than they are supposed to. Or Argentina and Mexico will get greedy and up production levels. Gas wont be any more expensive than it was last summer/is now.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: digitalsm

Opec

Yeah Cartels dont work. Someone in OPEC will cave to the almighty dollar and pump more than they are supposed to. Or Argentina and Mexico will get greedy and up production levels. Gas wont be any more expensive than it was last summer/is now.

Want to put ten bucks on that?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

Opec

I'll bet that the price will dip below what it is now at one point in every summer month.

KK

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

Opec

I'll bet that the price will dip below what it is now at one point in every summer month.

KK