Longing for a good racing games on PC

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Vampirrella, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Vampirrella

Vampirrella Golden Member

I used to love playing racing sims from the old days from Papayrus like their indycar and nascar series in the mid / late 90's. Ive played the heck out of Nascar Season 2003 and still have that installed on my system to this very day, tried all the mods and track add-ons ect... but im tired of it.

Ive tried Toca race driver 3 and wasnt really impressed. All the Need for Speed games in the series are more arcadish for my liking. Tried the trackmania series, also arcadish fun, not what im looking for. Crashday was so-so, again too arcadish!I have also dusted off my old game called F1 challenge '99-'02 and have been playing that again but it feels like ive alrdy played the heck out of that too. I need something refreshing in the race car sim dept.

Are there any other racing sims I may have missed over the years that i didnt mention?

Thanks in advance!
    "desparate racing sim fanatic"

2. Loading...

3. CalvinHobbes

CalvinHobbes Diamond Member

GTR 1 or GTR 2.

4. TheUnk

TheUnk Golden Member

DiRT? Though maybe a mix between sim and arcade.

5. effee

effee Golden Member

6. NYHoustonman

NYHoustonman Platinum Member

GTR/GTR2/GTL as mentioned.

I'm a big racing sim player, but I've actually enjoyed Test Drive: Unlimited a great deal. It's similar to Porsche Unleashed (the old NFS game) in its mix of arcade and simulation, but you simply can't beat the vehicle selection on the PC, and it's great fun to just cruise around.

7. Inspector Jihad

i heard that the new gtr is fantastic.

8. Barfo

Barfo Lifer

I'm liking Test Drive Unlimited very much but you'll probably think it's arcadey even though it's less than the need for speed games.

9. ObiDon

ObiDon Diamond Member

still my favorite of the series!
    plus, i'll add another vote for the GTR family.

mercedes-benz world racing was pretty good, too. it was published by TDK interactive and was pretty much "mercedes unleashed" except i don't think there was the ability to upgrade your vehicles. there's a lot of vehicles in there though... including the A series and G series.

i have world racing 2 which has cars from a variety of manufacturers but i haven't gotten around to playing it yet :eek:

10. swtethan

swtethan Diamond Member

GTR2!!!! Come play online with me.

11. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

GTR 2 Game of the Year Edition is out, and can be found for $20 or less. It also got very good game reviews.

12. ObiDon

ObiDon Diamond Member

what does it add versus the original version? does it still come with gt legends as well?

13. swtethan

swtethan Diamond Member

Ive been playing the demo for a little bit, 10 mins ago i went to EB games and bought the GOTY edition. SEE YOU ONLINE! Anyone want to race tonight?

14. Schadenfroh

Schadenfroh Elite Member

GTR 2 allow you to play on a LAN without having separate licenses per computer?

15. ashishmishra

ashishmishra Senior member

Another vote for Test Drive Unlimited, cockpit view is breathtaking. Also after you finish the game you unlock the "Hardcore Mode", which works beautifully for the Race Track in the game but not so much in the normal roads.

16. CubicZirconia

CubicZirconia Diamond Member

I've played the demo and it seems promising. It's a lot like Rallisport Challenge, except with better damage modeling. It's not a sim, but it's more difficult than a typical arcade racer. I've really had fun playing it. I would definitely check out the demo.

Be warned, the game is a monstrous system hog.

17. TecHNooB

TecHNooB Diamond Member

Flatout 2!

18. pontifex

pontifex Lifer

i've been playing Need for Speed Most Wanted lately. pretty fun

19. rangda

rangda Member

For racing sims:

GTR 2 (FIA GT 2003/2004)
    GT Legends (loosely based on FIA Historic Racing)
    rFactor

All 3 of these are very good racing sims and have thriving communities of modders adding content to the games. If you are in the USA, you can get the GTR 2 Game of the Year edition edition for $20 which includes both GTR 2 and GT Legends. Note that GT Legends uses StarForce copy protection in case that bothers you.

There is also RACE (2006 WTCC) available through Steam. Because of Steam, there are no community mods for this game although an expansion pack has been released.

[Edit]I forgot to mention that there are demos of all 4 of these games available from the web sites I've linked so you can try before you buy.

If you want to read up on racing sims I highly recommend heading over to the Race Sim Central Forums.

20. rangda

rangda Member

GTR 2 (in the USA at least) uses copy protection so you need the DVD in the drive to play. Which means that unless you have method of defeating this (and don't care about being legal) you need 1 license per computer.

As far as I can tell you don't need the DVD in the drive to run the dedicated server (I never connected to it but I tried starting it once to make sure it worked), so you could have 1 copy of the game and use that 1 copy for both a dedicated server and 1 client. (Note that the client and server cannot run on the same box.)

21. getbush

getbush Golden Member

LIVE FOR SPEED

22. ultra laser

ultra laser Banned

Track mania united.

23. KAZANI

KAZANI Senior member

Colin McRae: DiRT

24. MarcVenice

MarcVenice Moderator Emeritus <br>

DiRT is pretty fun, it's a bit arcade like, but it does take some skill estimating corners, how fast you can go through them, anticapating crests/jumps and such, and on the second highest difficulty you really can't hit a tree or anything, since your cooling system will get busted, and if it is let's say at 60% your engine performance will also decrease to the 60%ish region.

I really only like the 4wd and the rwd tracks though, the tracks where you race against computer AI are boring, like buggy's, those big trucks, and those pick-up trucks. Hill climb is half decent, but not as much fun as 4wd/rwd rally's. And like mentioned, the game needs a pretty good rig to run well.

Race the WTCC is also okay-ish, haven't played it much yet though, it came with my 8800gts, but it's not as exilerating as DiRT and such. More GTR2 like, albeit not as hardcore as GTR2, which is unplayable without a decent steering wheel, unless you enable all the sidekicks, which defeats the point of playing the game :p

25. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

Sadly the only fun racing game ive played in quite a while was Burnout 3 for the Xbox.

That game was fantastic.

Burnout 4 was terrible, and i havent played a PC racing demo ive enjoyed for years.

26. MarcVenice

MarcVenice Moderator Emeritus <br>

Forza 2 rocks, so does PGR3 imo. Xbox 360 games though, not pc :(

The new NFS: Pro Street might give us PC racers something to look forward to.