Long term, is Intel planning to exit the consumer market?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
200mhz on a 4.5Ghz+ part is less than 5%, its hardly what i would call a measurable increase, its within the testing margin of error.

And even in time if it turns out to be a 100-200 increase over last gen thats still a very sad increase for a brand new generation of CPU.

However you try and justify this its still 0 IPC increase and a few percentage points at best OC headroom for a brand new generation.

It's not really a new generation though, is it? It's like Haswell Refresh all over again, just with better marketing.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
That isn't really fair. Kabylake has some extra OC headroom . . . maybe 200 MHz on average?
Looks to be the same as 4770K -> 4790K. Same folks will crow over that though.
It's like going from a 12" penis to 12.5" - big deal.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's not really a new generation though, is it? It's like Haswell Refresh all over again, just with better marketing.

Personally no i do not think its a new generation at all, its a joke to call it that.

Intel on the other hand is telling us that yes it is a new generation, and since they are the ones making it its their decision to call it and market it however they want, and they chose to call it a new generation, so me and im sure many others are justified in calling them out on there total lack of performance increase from one generation to the next.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The real question "for how much longer will there be a profitable PC market?"

For quite a while, I expect. After all, you can be profitable, even when the market is shrinking, and not expanding. At least, to a point. If the PC (desktop) market goes away completely, then there might be issues, LOL.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
200mhz on a 4.5Ghz+ part is less than 5%, its hardly what i would call a measurable increase, its within the testing margin of error.

And even in time if it turns out to be a 100-200 increase over last gen thats still a very sad increase for a brand new generation of CPU.

However you try and justify this its still 0 IPC increase and a few percentage points at best OC headroom for a brand new generation.

Well point being, we were all told Kabylake cores would be essentially identical to those of Skylake, and the only reason Kaby was here in the first place was as a stopgap since the "actual" next gen was delayed anyway.

So a 200 MHz clock boost is better than the expected 0 MHz clock boost.

Still not great, but you know, silver linings . . .

Looks to be the same as 4770K -> 4790K. Same folks will crow over that though.
It's like going from a 12" penis to 12.5" - big deal.

She ain't complainin either way though, right? Or is she . . .

Ahem uh, well, the 4790k was popular enough in its day, so you know, right.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I think you are misunderstanding and underestimating the way ARM processors are designed. The number of cores is mostly for efficiency purpose. And it is not like they can't make use of all the cores as proved already.

ARM architecture is improving faster than Intel.

I don't think he is. ARM is improving faster because it started off so far behind. That's like me starting a business with 10 customers in 2016 and improve to 20 in 2017 and claim that I'm growing faster than Apple. Not to mention, ARM improvements are also slowing from generation to generation.