Long-shot suit charges RIAA with extortion, racketeering

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
It's probably not the first time that record company executives have been likened to Al Capone, but this time a judge might have to agree or disagree.

A New Jersey woman, one of the hundreds of people sued for alleged music-swapping by the Recording Industry Association of America, has countersued the big record labels, charging them with extortion and violations of the federal anti-racketeering act.

Through her attorneys, Michele Scimeca contends that by suing file-swappers for copyright infringement, and then offering to settle instead of pursuing a case where liability could reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, the RIAA is violating the same laws that are more typically applied to gangsters and organized crime.

Text

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I agree..

there is no fvcking way a person should be liable for $250k per song downloaded. That is just completely ridiculous. The average person probby has about 1000 mp3s.. So, 250 million.. I mean.. god damn.

They are like the mafia.. only the mafia has better prices.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Oh please magic Jesus, if this lady successfully sues the RIAA for millions of dollars and wins, I promise I'll believe in you. :)