Lone folder wants to join the TeAm

dkm777

Nov 21, 2010
Hi folks,

I recently got my Gulftown overclock stable (4GHz, ~35k PPD) and would like to join you in a race to the top. How do I configure my SMP client to joint TeAm AnandTech? I'd be folding at night only though, because where I live electricity is cheaper at night :awe:.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Welcome to the TeAm, dkm777:thumbsup:

I don't have the answers but someone will come along shortly who knows it all!

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Welcome dkm777 :)

You will have to Configure your client, the TeAm number is 198

If you are running v7, click Configure and then the Identity tab.

If you are running an older version - I'll give someone else the opportunity to explain.

dkm777

Nov 21, 2010
I'm running 6.34. Where can I find this V7?

Edit: edited client.cfg to add team number. My folding username is DKMan777.

Last edited:

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Did you buy the gulftown new or used? Where did you get it? I'm curious now b/c I ended up getting my wife a new laptop instead of getting myself a new SB rig, but if I could just do a drop in replacement of a gulftown on the cheap (as I planned 2 years ago but kept holding off due to ridiculously high gulftown prices)...

dkm777

Nov 21, 2010
I bought it new here in Lithuania. It's a 980 non-X. Maybe it wasn't a smart move, but it does what I want it to do and the Sabertooth X58 mobo has all the features I want and fits in my case (all the good SB-E boards seem to be EATX, riddled with tiny, whiny fans or both).

dkm777

Nov 21, 2010
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :biggrin:. My cooling hardware should arrive early next week and I might be tempted to push my overclock a little higher (4.2-4.4GHz). So, a question to those running overclocked crunching rigs - is such a low increase in frequency worth the added heat and power consumption? It's winter now so it doesn't matter much (I turned the heating way down...), but in summer sleeping in the same room might be a problem since I don't have air conditioning.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
It will give you faster returns, which will give you better bonuses for each WU. But, honestly, only you can answer whether it's worth the added heat and power consumption (and risk of hardware failure) to you.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
but in summer sleeping in the same room might be a problem since I don't have air conditioning.
Cross that bridge when you have to... Many crunchers lower OCs or only run part of their farm or even quit during summer.

Every processor has a point where power consumption increases are greater than the increased output. I remember seeing a graph that showed this.