London is cracking down on knives

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Theres been some recent knife attacks (I wouldn’t think any more than in any large city) so the mayor is cracking down. If you order a knife online it can’t be delivered to a residential address.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ery-online-government-crackdown-a8293686.html

And he sees no reason anyone should carry a knife

https://mobile.twitter.com/MayorofLondon/status/982906526334668800

No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law.

I almost always have a knife nearby. Not for defense or anything but utility. What good does banning home deliveries do?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I think less of anyone that doesn't carry a knife. I carry five for work. All but one(leatherman micra) get used almost daily.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
What good does banning home delivery of knives do? I can’t wrap my head around this.

ETA: they are going to implement a "targeted" stop and frisk :D

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-43678988

I see it like banning "Saturday night special" guns in the US, where it's more about reducing convenient access to weapons than their lethality. With that said, stop-and-frisk is always dicey... I suspect London police aren't significantly more immune to racial profiling than their American counterparts.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i carried a knife while traveling in boston once, only to find out that my knife was .25" too long to be legal (i think 2" is the limit). so i got the heck out of there before i got busted.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Chefs have to travel with their knives every day.
Trade workers, anyone in any type of construction work is going to have knives on them as well.

Knives are much different to regulate than guns. The average person does not need a gun to do their job but for many of people knives are carried around for their job everyday.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Trade workers, anyone in any type of construction work is going to have knives on them as well.

Knives are much different to regulate than guns. The average person does not need a gun to do their job but for many of people knives are carried around for their job everyday.

Harder to regulate hecause people don't need guns? Just because others use them for work?

Employers will have a secure area for the knives. Why do the knives need to travel?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Harder to regulate hecause people don't need guns? Just because others use them for work?

Employers will have a secure area for the knives. Why do the knives need to travel?
Most Contractors don't work at one place of employment, they don't clock in and out at one place. They go directly to their jobs from where they live, take their tools home everyday.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Most Contractors don't work at one place of employment, they don't clock in and out at one place. They go directly to their jobs from where they live, take their tools home everyday.

Yes I'm aware I've been in the trade for almost 20 years.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
The best way to solve this is to ban humans. It is the only outcome to work, imho. Luckily, I am not a human, but rather a vastly superior inorganic facsimile of a human. I have the details to prove it, bee boop bop bee, see not a human. *wink*