Lol, Trump supporters not knowing what they support him for

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I asked my nephew this many times and still get the same response as these folks. Said nephew and I never talk politics, ever.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
That young boy, his grandmother looks so proud he looks and acts like an orange baby loser.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Guess they finally figured out that Trump was not going to be able to "lock her up" as no one mentioned that.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I can't decide whether this matters, to be honest. People might not be articulate enough, or knowledgable enough, to be able to explicate _why_ they feel the way they do, and that makes it frustrating to argue with them and very hard to persuade them through reason and words, but that doesn't mean they don't have reasons of some kind for feeling as they do. If they can't tell you in words what those reasons are, you have to figure them out some other way.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I can't decide whether this matters, to be honest. People might not be articulate enough, or knowledgable enough, to be able to explicate _why_ they feel the way they do, and that makes it frustrating to argue with them and very hard to persuade them through reason and words, but that doesn't mean they don't have reasons of some kind for feeling as they do. If they can't tell you in words what those reasons are, you have to figure them out some other way.
A lot of them are just deplorables

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I almost voted for Trump in 2016. He was saying all of the right words to me that made me believe that he would really drain the swamp. I swear that I think that I am responsible for my nephew being a Trump supporter. That is one sin that I cannot erase if he can't use his logic to see what Trump truly represents.

Mar 11, 2004
I almost voted for Trump in 2016. He was saying all of the right words to me that made me believe that he would really drain the swamp. I swear that I think that I am responsible for my nephew being a Trump supporter. That is one sin that I cannot erase if he can't use his logic to see what Trump truly represents.

Damn, dude. Well good you at least see how wrong that was.

At least you didn't actually vote for him and then try to tell us how you super duper didn't before finally fessing up after you finally couldn't defend his abhorrent behavior for the 1000th time in the first 6 months of his presidency. The sad thing is, I think the posters that were doing that then left here, not out of embarrassment but because they instead went the other direction and decided to become the true fanatically devout.

I had a nephew that was that way. He used to spout fucked up racist stuff on Twitter. He's dead because he couldn't handle not being a dumbshit teenager and binge drinking and doing drugs after he had gotten a heart transplant.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Wow, full-on heart transplant throwing caution to the wind. Seems unusual, but yeah it's also that age...

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I asked my nephew this many times and still get the same response as these folks. Said nephew and I never talk politics, ever.
And isn't that one of main problems, that you can't even talk about politics with those who have a different opinion. If nothing else try listening to him, and try listening to him and his fears. I think the first step you can do on a personal plan is to try building bridges to Trump supporters, so it will be more difficult to demonize their opponents. Don't try to give the "correct" answers but ask the right questions and listen.

Mar 11, 2004
Wow, full-on heart transplant throwing caution to the wind. Seems unusual, but yeah it's also that age...

Yeah it was really sad, and sad that getting a heart transplant didn't improve the path he was on. It might have been for the best though, he was starting to be a very shitty person and it was starting to escalate.

Mar 11, 2004
And isn't that one of main problems, that you can't even talk about politics with those who have a different opinion. If nothing else try listening to him, and try listening to him and his fears. I think the first step you can do on a personal plan is to try building bridges to Trump supporters, so it will be more difficult to demonize their opponents. Don't try to give the "correct" answers but ask the right questions and listen.

Maybe you should tell that to the assholes demanding that we hear their verifiably made up bullshit and lies that demand that we appease them? The issue I can almost guarantee is not him not listening to his nephew, its his nephew being a fucking shithead refusing to listen to him.

We're not the ones that burned the bridges. I'm sick of hearing how we need to be nice and listen. "Oh but if you're nice to them and just listen it'll be so much better." Nope. Done that, they don't, they just treat that as though you're accepting of their bullshit being valid when its not.

I'd love to hear the magical "right" question that will suddenly talk these assholes down from their manic fanaticism. Let us know oh Turmp supporter whisperer, you're our only hope!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I had a conversation with a good friend of mine who still is to this day an ardent Trump supporter as to why he thought, no scratch that, why he knew Trump was a great president that was very much worth supporting. He got stumped when the discussion turned to WHY he thought Trump was so great. For every nebulously vague reason he mentioned in support of Trump I debunked those points of his with factual evidence to the contrary. The guy got flustered to the point of getting angry with me before I realized it.

What was a discussion that we could both learn from turned into a litany of excuses for Trump's behavior on his part and my beginning to feel that I was persecuting the guy for his political beliefs from merely offering up the facts of the matter.

I had to apologize to him when it dawned on me that I had cornered him into an indefensible position where he was at the point of being barely able to hold back his anger from it. His final retort to my replies was "well I have my own version of facts as to why I support Trump" delivered in a very tense defensive style of oratory. All I could come up with was a quizzical look on my face and a thought that after all of that back and forth we went through (a matter of ten minutes or so) this was the end result of the "discussion".

Never had another one of those "discussions" with him since. All I'm glad about is that our friendship overcame what amounted to an testy argument on his part and a prosecution of his support for Trump on mine.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Maybe you should tell that to the assholes demanding that we hear their verifiably made up bullshit and lies that demand that we appease them? The issue I can almost guarantee is not him not listening to his nephew, its his nephew being a fucking shithead refusing to listen to him.

We're not the ones that burned the bridges. I'm sick of hearing how we need to be nice and listen. "Oh but if you're nice to them and just listen it'll be so much better." Nope. Done that, they don't, they just treat that as though you're accepting of their bullshit being valid when its not.

I'd love to hear the magical "right" question that will suddenly talk these assholes down from their manic fanaticism. Let us know oh Turmp supporter whisperer, you're our only hope!

Yeah, you're probably right. I haven't experienced it first hand, so I still have some kind of hope for these people.

Nov 17, 2019
Late October, a neighbor who I considered had sane and well adjusted made a statement that proved him to be otherwise. Said something about the Turd 'talking Christian' and being 'moral'. It was about all I could do to not laugh. They he said he thought Ben Carson would make a good President. Pretty sure my eyeroll was evident.

I can't cut him off completely because I need him to help me with things now and then.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
What was a discussion that we could both learn from turned into a litany of excuses for Trump's behavior on his part and my beginning to feel that I was persecuting the guy for his political beliefs from merely offering up the facts of the matter.
Problem is that those beliefs aren't really political, they are more akin to a fundamentalist religion!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
On imgur I'm sometimes gently confronting Trump supporters about their assertions (and I've been thanked for being polite while others were being abusive), and I'll continue to do so, but my general opinion is that they're not starting by being honest to themselves, so it's like confronting an alcoholic about their addiction when they're not in the right place to make a new start.

So while I think it's important to dial back your initial response in the face of political ignorance (because there's always the smallest chance you might get a Trump supporter to have a rethink in their own time), it's equally important to quickly recognise when you're wasting your time in the face of wilful ignorance. It's not your job to immerse yourself in this level of toxicity, and no-one is likely to thank you for it, least of all the Trump supporter.

A classic example was a guy who was claiming that antifa and qanon look the same to an outsider, and followed it up with the usual baseless assertions of BS he'd probably picked up from FB (his opinions also included that he believed that antifa would/could have stormed the capitol). I asked him to cite some sources, to which he basically refused all the way and claimed that I was trying to hide something by not citing my sources (despite my only assertion being cited) and trying to help educate him in his evidence-based pursuit for learning. I gave up, then noticed a day or two later in another thread he was distinguishing between various right-wing elements including qanon.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I had a conversation with a good friend of mine who still is to this day an ardent Trump supporter as to why he thought, no scratch that, why he knew Trump was a great president that was very much worth supporting. He got stumped when the discussion turned to WHY he thought Trump was so great. For every nebulously vague reason he mentioned in support of Trump I debunked those points of his with factual evidence to the contrary. The guy got flustered to the point of getting angry with me before I realized it.
From what I have been reading about arguing with the intractable is you don't attack the beliefs they have, concede those and attack the many other things he has done wrong IE if they love his economy attack his predatory relationships with women, everybody has a mother sister wife etc

Reactions: tweaker2

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
2016 - "Small businesses are struggling because of Obamacare"
2017 - "Small businesses are doing great because of Trump"

LOL

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004