LOL @ Stupid Road Signs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: LordRaiden
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: Encryptic
That's gotta be a Photochop. Funny, though.

The weirdest (not necessarily stupidest) sign I've ever seen on the road was on I-15 North somewhere in Nevada, while we were on the way to Vegas. There's a road called "Zzyyzzxx" or something like that, with a big sign indicating it. Who was in charge of naming THAT road is beyond me. :D

EDIT: Tried to snap a picture of that sign, among a few others (including the "Bun Boy" restaurant) on the way, but most of those pictures came out totally blurred. :(

Info on Zzyzx Road
I just realized something. The road's name isn't a joke or someone being stupid. It's a pictogram using letters. Look closely at each letter and you'll quickly realize what the name means. :Q

It's somewhat of a warning, but I'll let you guys figure it out. :D

huh? Plz just say.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: notfred

The weirdest (not necessarily stupidest) sign I've ever seen on the road was on I-15 North somewhere in Nevada, while we were on the way to Vegas. There's a road called "Zzyyzzxx" or something like that, with a big sign indicating it. Who was in charge of naming THAT road is beyond me. :D

EDIT: Tried to snap a picture of that sign, among a few others (including the "Bun Boy" restaurant) on the way, but most of those pictures came out totally blurred. :(

Info on Zzyzx Road

Good info. Thanks! :D

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

That's actually on the Cali side of the border... :D Stop at that General Store (where the Bun Boy) is, and there's a book "UFO's at Zzyyzzxx"... heh

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Ok, I'll explain the meaning of the Pictogram.

Zz means sleep. The Y is in reference to a fork in the road or just the road in general (not a straight one mind you) and zx means sleap forever, or death. So it translates to, "Sleep at the wheel while on the road and you will die."

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
PA probably has some of the dumbest road signs I have ever seen in my life. There is one on the PA Turnpike that says "Make love not 3 car pile-ups." wtf!?! lol....

hopeless879

Mar 4, 2002
Whenever I'm driving to Toledo theres a sign that says Stoney Creek on I-420. Can't help but crack a smile. I need to get a pic of that some time.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001

Zz means sleep. The Y is in reference to a fork in the road or just the road in general (not a straight one mind you) and zx means sleap forever, or death. So it translates to, "Sleep at the wheel while on the road and you will die."

You must've been smoking some seriously good sh1t to somehow come up with that meaning from those letters. :confused:

Say hi to Jesus for me while your floating up there. :D

TekChik

Jan 15, 2003

omg...i've driven that road to Vegas maybe 20 times (I went to college outside L.A. and went to Vegas a LOT during the time...LOL) and I never in a million years would've taken that sign to mean that.

I once got off at that exit, though (so to speak). My bf at the time and I wanted to uuummm...how do you say...not wait till we got to the hotel ;)

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: iloveme2
PA probably has some of the dumbest road signs I have ever seen in my life. There is one on the PA Turnpike that says "Make love not 3 car pile-ups." wtf!?! lol....

I actually remember seeing something like that, on 70/76 between Breezewood and Eastpoint.

Anyone from Chicago/Wisconsin ever seen the sign for "Bong Recreation Area"? It's pretty funny...It's north of Chicago on 94, right after you get across the border...

Kind of a crappy picture.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: AvesPKS

I actually remember seeing something like that, on 70/76 between Breezewood and Eastpoint.

Anyone from Chicago/Wisconsin ever seen the sign for "Bong Recreation Area"? It's pretty funny...It's north of Chicago on 94, right after you get across the border...

Dude, that sign rocks!! :cool: I wonder how many cops hang out there waiting for easy busts? :D

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD

Dude, that sign rocks!! :cool: I wonder how many cops hang out there waiting for easy busts? :D

Heh...there's usually a cop or two right around that area. I've been wanting to, uh, "obtain" a sign "just like that" for about three years now...

MisterPresident

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2002
Funniest I've seen is near the US/Mexico border. On the US side, there are multiple yellow signs of an immigrant family running across the highway.

Also, while in England, I remember seeing one with a man holding a cane, and a hunched over woman in a walker. The sign said "elderly people"

Here in Portland, there is a pedestrian overpass just south of Delta Park that is called the "Failing Pedestrian Bridge"

cainsdive

Sep 4, 2002
In Australia, when you cross the Nulubor from coast to coast , marked on the road are white stripes across it and a sign saying "Beware, planes land next 10 kalometers" .This is for the flying doctor service. Much of Aust is still remote.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cainsdive
In Australia, when you cross the Nulubor from coast to coast , marked on the road are white stripes across it and a sign saying "Beware, planes land next 10 kalometers" .This is for the flying doctor service. Much of Aust is still remote.

so it's funny because they misspelled kilometres?

TuffGirl

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001

I have that pic... much clearer picture of the Bong Recreation Area

I have a bunch of these random pics of road signs I uploaded just for you guys:

[*]This way to the Batcave
[*]Bunghole Liquors
[*]Dumb church sign, this one's not that funny
[*]Beware croc at the bottom of the hill
[*]Dilemma
[*]Dumfart tombstone
[*]Learn to speel
[*]Parking For Drive-Thru Service Only
[*]Secret Nuclear Bunker
[*]GUNS POSTAL
[*]Idaho Pot
[*]Satan's Kingdom, State Recreation Area
[*]Bizarre Shower Sign
[*]Typo? This isn't a sign, just a newspaper clipping. Same idea though.

:)

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
Near Life plaza in City of Industry, there is a restaurant called Young HO, right next to a shell gas station... Before you could go to Mwave, and them come back and eat Young Ho... Life was great then.... Of course now that Mwave is in the boondocks,...