LOL so we found a new way to piss off our users.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Yesterday morning we turned on content filtering on our exchange servers. around 4:30 yesturday a engineer comes down madder than hell because his email got blocked and he had a auto response saying his email was blocked from being sent because it contained profanity blah blah blah...

So i try to explain to him why the company is doing this and in a loud angry voice with his hands in the air he says

"why do we need to block profanity"? and storms off

i swear im not making this up.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I don't doubt that you're not making it up.

Heck, if I turned on content filtering, > 90% of our messages at work probably wouldn't get through. :p

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Citrix
Yesterday morning we turned on content filtering on our exchange servers. around 4:30 yesturday a engineer comes down madder than hell because his email got blocked and he had a auto response saying his email was blocked from being sent because it contained profanity blah blah blah...

So i try to explain to him why the company is doing this and in a loud angry voice with his hands in the air he says

you should've said "because im the fsckin network administrator, and i said so, that's fscking why!"

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
I don't doubt that you're not making it up.

Heck, if I turned on content filtering, > 90% of our messages at work probably wouldn't get through. :p

I just checked our rule database. 105 messages blocked because of adult content this week. That isn't spam, as that rule is run before this one, so it's already been filtered out.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Why the hell *would* you block profanity in email? Your employees know who they're talking to, and they know what is appropriate conversation with different people. If one engineer sends a schematic to another engineer, and says something like "this is all fvcked up, can you fix it?" Why shouldn't the other engineer get his email?

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003

Don't you work at Hustler Magazine?

JK... No content filtering internal, but do inbound (kills lots of spam that way.) Also have Finjin and Bluecoat for web filtering. But we have an appeal process for white listing. Have his manager approve it... :p

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
Why the hell *would* you block profanity in email? Your employees know who they're talking to, and they know what is appropriate conversation with different people. If one engineer sends a schematic to another engineer, and says something like "this is all fvcked up, can you fix it?" Why shouldn't the other engineer get his email?

:thumbsup:

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

Because the company can do whatever the fsck they want! If the employees don't like it, they can quit their fscking job and go work someplace else. :p

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

Because we were f*cking told to by the f*cking VP of IT thats why.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005

hahaha, i would start sending him emails "your a fscking a-hole of a boss. i fscking slept with your wife" etc etc. and if he receives them, you can just say "hey dude i was just testing the profanity filter man"

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: KLin

Because the company can do whatever the fsck they want! If the employees don't like it, they can quit their fscking job and go work someplace else. :p

If you notice, I asked "why", not "is it allowable". The company could spraypaint all thier desks purple with green polka dots if they wanted to, but you still might want to know why they did it, no?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

If you notice, I asked "why", not "is it allowable". The company could spraypaint all thier desks purple with green polka dots if they wanted to, but you still might want to know why they did it, no?

The semantics really don't matter here. They did it because they can, and the VP of IT wanted it done.

pclstyle

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2004

The semantics really don't matter here. They did it because they can, and the VP of IT wanted it done.

lol VP of IT is a useless title around here. the disposal crews could complain about something he initiated and have it vetoed into oblivion.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

Maybe they want email sent out from their organization to be professional? As hard as it is to believe it is possible for adults to have conversations without profanity and still exchange the necessary information.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004

Hillary Clinton runs an IT department??

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001

What makes you think it's appropriate to use profanity on company e-mail? Besides being unprofessional it could be a liability if somebody sues the company and said e-mails get subpoena'd. I also don't understand why people get personal e-mail at work that contains questionable content (or really any personal e-mail for that matter.) Is it really that hard to wait until you get home to read your personal e-mails?

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: compnovice
1 vote for ATOT removing profanity censors :p

Fsck that sh!t. It's going to turn in to a fscking zoo with all the ass fsckers swearing and sh!t. We don't need that here!

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Dunbar

What makes you think it's appropriate to use profanity on company e-mail? Besides being unprofessional it could be a liability if somebody sues the company and said e-mails get subpoena'd. I also don't understand why people get personal e-mail at work that contains questionable content (or really any personal e-mail for that matter.) Is it really that hard to wait until you get home to read your personal e-mails?

What makes you think the profanity is in personal e-mail?

MrFanel

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
Our internal IM system does not block profanity... dunno bout emails though, cuz I never use profanity in emails :p