LOL So many Russian Bots on overdrive as we approach midterms

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Russian Bots Linked To Viral Twitter Attacks

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ks-over-rude-dems_us_5b414945e4b05127ccf2d083

Attacks with the hashtag #WalkAway purport to be from a “grassroots” wave of one-time Democrats who have left the party in part because they say they are so incensed by the hateful and divisive behavior of party members. The message is to “walk away” from ugly confrontations, “intolerance” and hate — and from the Democratic Party.

But the hashtag has been connected to Russian bots. It has ranked as the third or fourth most popular Kremlin-linked hashtag for days, according to bot tracking by the Hamilton 68 site run by the bipartisan Alliance for Securing Democracy, which keeps tabs on Russian activity on the American internet.

Arc Digital has made the same connection in the “strikingly similar” tweets pushing a “familiar narrative” of Democratic “bullying.” Arc traced the campaign from a Facebook group in May and subsequent tweets whose traffic suddenly began to explode late last month.

Amplification of tweets by bots does not necessarily mean content is created by Kremlin-linked operators. But bots typically grossly exaggerate Twitter traffic — and influence — by replicating chosen messages tens of thousands of times.

The aim of such a campaign is to manipulate public opinion by “gaming online algorithms” to rocket content to the top of internet searches, noted Arc Digital.

Fox News and other conservative outlets in turn have helped amplify the message by reporting on the #WalkAway “movement.”

The “civility” issue was heightened by President Donald Trump and other politicians after Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) called on Americans to confront members of the Trump administration in public harsh anti-immigration policies. Waters made the call in a rally after White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was told to leave a restaurant in Virginia and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was hounded out of a Washington restaurant by protesters.

Trump falsely accused Waters of calling for violence against members of his administration — she had not — and warned her: “Be careful what you wish for.

Given Trump’s unique presidential history of name-calling, it’s ironic that Democrats are now being accused of lacking civil discourse.

The Washington Post noted in a story Tuesday that while #WalkAway had gone viral, it didn’t necessarily mean that there were hordes of actual people leaving the Democratic Party. The tweets are mainly being shared by right-wingers — and/or amplified by bots, the paper said, though the Post didn’t specifically mention Russian bots.

LOL Sad! Figures those with no/ little brain using ability are easily manipulated.

Watch yourself from these bots who act like regular posters but just magically appear. You know who they are. Use some common sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cytg111

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
It's all the fault of the Russians.

Americans are innocent. Republicans are innocent. Trump is a saint. No American has ever spread fakenews. No American has ever called the press "Lügenpresse". No American has ever voted for an arsehole like Trump. No American has ever made a twitter-bot, or used one. No American has ever locked children in cages. No American has ever tried to remove people's basic pillars like health care or social security. No American has ever tried to stop other Americans from voting. Or their vote having an impact. USA never started unnecessary wars around the world, killing hunderds of thousands of people.

The Russians invented gerrymandering. The Russians started Fox News. The Russians invaded Iraq. The Russians funded a civil-war that destroyed Syria. The Russians increased military spending. The Russians lowered taxes for the rich. The Russians did it all. The Russians did it !

REALLY MOMMY, I DIDN'T DO IT. IT WAS ZE RUSSIANS !!!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Americans are innocent. Republicans are innocent. Trump is a saint. No American has ever spread fakenews. No American has ever called the press "Lügenpresse". No American has ever voted for an arsehole like Trump. No American has ever made a twitter-bot, or used one. No American has ever locked children in cages. No American has ever tried to remove people's basic pillars like health care or social security. No American has ever tried to stop other Americans from voting. Or their vote having an impact. USA never started unnecessary wars around the world, killing hunderds of thousands of people.

The Russians invented gerrymandering. The Russians started Fox News. The Russians invaded Iraq. The Russians funded a civil-war that destroyed Syria. The Russians increased military spending. The Russians lowered taxes for the rich. The Russians did it all. The Russians did it !

None of that addressed anything in the OP.

Nov 29, 2006

We found one already?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Sounds just like a response a Russian bot would make.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Yes this is a great idea, spend all your time thinking about how the Russians are out to get you instead of actually working on your message to the voters.

Reactions: Cerb

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Democrats? They said mean things! They're just as bad! Just stay home & let the deplorables decide the election!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yes this is a great idea, spend all your time thinking about how the Russians are out to get you instead of actually working on your message to the voters.
Yes this is a great idea.
Pay no attention to Russia's cyber warfare.
Pay no attention to the fact the Russians have enough background work to actually hack our voting machines.
Pay no attention to the fact POTUS is doing nothing about it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

They just amplify the GOP message.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yes this is a great idea.
Pay no attention to Russia's cyber warfare.
Pay no attention to the fact the Russians have enough background work to actually hack our voting machines.
Pay no attention to the fact POTUS is doing nothing about it.

Shut them down. The #walkaway movement should be pointed at twitter and facebook.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Well duh.. no wonder people are tired of the Nancy Pelosi DINO's who offer 90% Trumps agenda. They want Sanders agenda but run into 2 parties who say its way too left.

The election of Ocasio-Cortez has showed there's a reckoning coming for the Nancy Pelosi wing and the old guard is on its way to being replaced by those that actually represent the people.

That said Trump and his russian bots do not.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
None of that addressed anything in the OP.
Oh, we can only talk about bots on Twitter ?
Yeah. That's terrible. Something really needs to be done about bots on Twitter. Otherwise it's the end of the world.

Your country is run by a idiot. A malicious idiot.
Your country is slowing moving towards fascism. (I'm happy to explain, in case you hadn't noticed yourself).
One of the two parties in your country is already behaving like fascists.
The fascists already have a very firm grip on your press. There's a hardly any true free press left.
Half your fellow citizens voted for Trump.
Half your fellow citizens are cheering on the sidelines while your country moves towards fascism.

But yeah, twitter. Terrible.

Who gives a fuck ?
It's twitter.
Only idiots go there.

Get your priorities straight.
And your number one priority is not Ze Russians.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well duh.. no wonder people are tired of the Nancy Pelosi DINO's who offer 90% Trumps agenda. They want Sanders agenda but run into 2 parties who say its way too left.

The election of Ocasio-Cortez has showed there's a reckoning coming for the Nancy Pelosi wing and the old guard is on its way to being replaced by those that actually represent the people.

That said Trump and his russian bots do not.

Yeh, let's splinter the Democrats. They're 90% as bad! Poor Bernie! So cheated!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh, we can only talk about bots on Twitter ?
Yeah. That's terrible. Something really needs to be done about bots on Twitter. Otherwise it's the end of the world.

Your country is run by a idiot. A malicious idiot.
Your country is slowing moving towards fascism. (I'm happy to explain, in case you hadn't noticed yourself).
One of the two parties in your country is already behaving like fascists.
The fascists already have a very firm grip on your press. There's a hardly any true free press left.
Half your fellow citizens voted for Trump.
Half your fellow citizens are cheering on the sidelines while your country moves towards fascism.

But yeah, twitter. Terrible.

Who gives a fuck ?
It's twitter.
Only idiots go there.

Get your priorities straight.
And your number one priority is not Ze Russians.
Do have some sort of attention deficit disorder? You seem unable to concentrate on what a thread is about.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Do have some sort of attention deficit disorder? You seem unable to concentrate on what a thread is about.
This thread is a distraction to all the things serious people should be concerned about.
Just like any time an American is mentioning "ze russians" is a distraction.
That's what I am saying.

Trump, the Republicans, Fox News, Bannon, the alt-right media, they are laughing their socks off.
"Look at those stupid liberals. They let themselves be distracted by the tiniest upheaval. While we are robbing the country blind".

I hope you get your russian twitter-bots banned.
It's worth the effort for sure.
In the mean time, Trump is appointing another judge in your Supreme Court.
And that will have a huge negative impact on your country for the next 20 years.
But you wanna fight Twitter-bots.
Good luck.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This thread is a distraction to all the things serious people should be concerned about.
That's what I am saying.

Trump, the Republicans, Fox News, Bannon, the alt-right media, they are laughing their socks off.
"Look at those stupid liberals. They let themselves be distracted by the tiniest upheaval. While we are robbing the country blind".

And that will have a huge negative impact on your country for the next 20 years.
Good luck.
It's like you think that people cant process more than one thing at a time.

Reactions: woolfe9998

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's what I am saying.

Good luck.

Gawd. Russian psyops have proven themselves to be very effective Trump enablers. That message wouldn't be nearly as loud or pervasive w/o their efforts.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That's what I am saying.

Good luck.
I refuse to accept Russia interfering in our Democracy isn't of any concern. This interference could easily have given us the Trump to which you referenced. Not that Russia directly elected him but there are too many of his people who are not mentally capable of realizing they are being conned.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's what I am saying.

Good luck.

My question is, why do we keep assuming that this is an either/or situation? You do know that it's possible to fight Twitter bots and develop a cohesive election strategy, right? Besides, when Trump is known to have interacted with these bots in the past (because he's clueless), there's a very practical incentive to cracking down on bots: it prevents Russia from directly feeding Trump's lies.

The main concern isn't so much distraction as that establishment Democrats are pushing back against more popular but also more definitively left-wing candidates. They're still clinging to a very narrow definition of "moderate" that, I'd say, risks alienating younger and minority voters. The party needs to embrace people like Ocasio-Cortez rather than acting like she's an outlier. I mean, the Democrats still stand a realistic chance of taking the House given widespread opposition to Trump, but I wonder how much better they could be doing if they presented more of a united front.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I was just thinking about this and how there has been an up-tic in pro trump messages and how we always seem to get the same characters right around election time. I'm waiting for buckshot to show up along with others (sp33demon was another one).

Their mo has been the same as it was in previous years, flood the forums with stories that lower the positions morale and hype up trump.

I'm guessing this meeting putin and trump will be having will be about strategy for the mid term. What's funny is that in the past I would have totally ignored such talk as just crazy talk but I can't really say that now.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I was just thinking about this and how there has been an up-tic in pro trump messages and how we always seem to get the same characters right around election time. I'm waiting for buckshot to show up along with others (sp33demon was another one).

Their mo has been the same as it was in previous years, flood the forums with stories that lower the positions morale and hype up trump.

I'm guessing this meeting putin and trump will be having will be about strategy for the mid term. What's funny is that in the past I would have totally ignored such talk as just crazy talk but I can't really say that now.
You have to remember that some people are just idiots and some people are just arseholes.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I refuse to accept Russia interfering in our Democracy isn't of any concern. This interference could easily have given us the Trump to which you referenced. Not that Russia directly elected him but there are too many of his people who are not mentally capable of realizing they are being conned.

It's the same wedge issue con that the GOP has been running since Gingrich, at least. Russian psyops just exploit social media better.

They know what they're doing & they're not in it for the MAGA. They deliberately & ruthlessly exploit our cultural weaknesses to serve their own ends.

Trumpsters are so caught up in it that they can't back away far enough to get a good look at it. You know, like "Wait... What? I'm with them? How can I be with them? Why would I want to be with them?"