LOL of the day - Palin "seriously interested" in running for POTUS 2016

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
As I haven't had the privilege of discussing Palin's worthiness for high office with a devout Palin supporter face to face, mostly because I think none of them will even admit to it yet will vote for her if given the chance, I'm still at a loss as to why there are a multitude of Tea Party members that undoubtedly would vote to elect her for the presidency yet refuse to offer any compelling reason as to why they'd do such a thing.

This thread is a perfect example of the lack of compelling, reasonable and actionable evidence toward why she should get the nod over all other candidates.

I'm confident if given the chance, she'd get millions of votes nationwide in a presidential bid.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know why that would be the case.

Tribalism. There are millions of people on both sides who will vote for the stupidest (D/R) over the smartest (R/D) just because that's their team. It's one of the more fundamental necessities of the human psyche; the need to feel like you belong to a group.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
As I haven't had the privilege of discussing Palin's worthiness for high office with a devout Palin supporter face to face, mostly because I think none of them will even admit to it yet will vote for her if given the chance, I'm still at a loss as to why there are a multitude of Tea Party members that undoubtedly would vote to elect her for the presidency yet refuse to offer any compelling reason as to why they'd do such a thing.

This thread is a perfect example of the lack of compelling, reasonable and actionable evidence toward why she should get the nod over all other candidates.

I'm confident if given the chance, she'd get millions of votes nationwide in a presidential bid.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know why that would be the case.

My mother is a fan of Sarah Palin. From what I gathered she has an affinity for people that she can relate to, basically small minded simple folk, or the polar opposite of intellectual elitist. Palin's a much more extreme personification of what people saw in George W Bush, ie someone they could have a beer with. Unlike Bush, I dont think any amount of help would have gotten Palin through Harvard and Yale

I personally dont want someone running for an office as important as president that I could personally relate to. I want their intellect, persona, and presence to be superior to my own in every way. I'm just a simple man with a BS in MIS, and I could crush Palin in a debate.

Feb 6, 2007
My mother is a fan of Sarah Palin. From what I gathered she has an affinity for people that she can relate to, basically small minded simple folk, or the polar opposite of intellectual elitist. Palin's a much more extreme personification of what people saw in George W Bush, ie someone they could have a beer with. Unlike Bush, I dont think any amount of help would have gotten Palin through Harvard and Yale

I personally dont want someone running for an office as important as president that I could personally relate to. I want their intellect, persona, and presence to be superior to my own in every way. I'm just a simple man with a BS in MIS, and I could crush Palin in a debate.

It's funny, because if you offered up an ignoramus in any other field, no one would be for it. Like if you asked your mother if she'd let an ignorant fool work on her car, I bet she'd be against it. If you asked whether she'd let an ignorant fool perform open heart surgery on her, she'd recoil in horror; they'd just kill her. But an ignorant fool with a complete lack of brains and inadequate training in international diplomacy? "Sure, I'd vote for her for President." It's unbelievable. We require a modicum of knowledge in the people we trust with the very important job of changing our oil, but running the country? "Someone I can relate to."

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
It's funny, because if you offered up an ignoramus in any other field, no one would be for it. Like if you asked your mother if she'd let an ignorant fool work on her car, I bet she'd be against it. If you asked whether she'd let an ignorant fool perform open heart surgery on her, she'd recoil in horror; they'd just kill her. But an ignorant fool with a complete lack of brains and inadequate training in international diplomacy? "Sure, I'd vote for her for President." It's unbelievable. We require a modicum of knowledge in the people we trust with the very important job of changing our oil, but running the country? "Someone I can relate to."

Very astute observation. Sometimes I think the constant attempted dissemination of complex policy to the masses via cable news and the internet, usually dumbed down enough to make casual viewers feel like they have become adequately informed, has contributed to the general sense that it is alot simpler than it is. Generally uneducated voters that believe they have all the answers is of course nothing new, but when modern media and technology gives them the ability to organize into a powerful political movement, well then you get disastrous results like this.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article8227599.html

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Very astute observation. Sometimes I think the constant attempted dissemination of complex policy to the masses via cable news and the internet, usually dumbed down enough to make casual viewers feel like they have become adequately informed, has contributed to the general sense that it is alot simpler than it is. Generally uneducated voters that believe they have all the answers is of course nothing new, but when modern media and technology gives them the ability to organize into a powerful political movement, well then you get disastrous results like this.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article8227599.html

Your linked article is unfortunately being played out over and over again in almost all the cut taxes, cut taxes, cut taxes red states. Unemployment not dropping like the high tax blue states, infrastructure not being fixed, education results getting worse, health care results getting worse, etc., etc. Georgia is almost leading the way in the "reduce taxes until the state crumbles philosophy". And it's sad, really.

I think this is the most telling part of that article:

In addition, high-tax states have been generating employment at a faster clip than the Sunflower State for the last two years — exactly as long as the tax cuts have been in place.

Imagine that, cut taxes to the bone and no one comes, even when the state subsidizes a lot of the cost of setting up a business.....no taxes for a decade or longer, reduced costs for acquisition of land, etc.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Even most republicans find her a joke, but there are still millions who would vote for this total buffoon.
Very well said. In other words: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Last edited:

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Trump getting in on the party, too:

Link
Trump does this every election. He will never run because he is widely hated by a lot of people and will never lose. His self-esteem can't take it. he merely does this so, please forgive me, people like you will help give him free publicity. That's all it is :)

Nov 29, 2006
I think the GOP itself needs to run a smear campaign against her to make her look bad to the public. She would pull enough votes to affect someone who matters. Wait..what?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think the GOP itself needs to run a smear campaign against her to make her look bad to the public. She would pull enough votes to affect someone who matters. Wait..what?

Exactly who likes her? I can't fathom who in the world would be a palin fan. I can only think of two types; the same type of people who enjoy watching reality tv (so non political) and those who get joy from watching people who annoy the shit out of people.
But are there actually palin fans that like her for her politics?

Nov 29, 2006
Exactly who likes her? I can't fathom who in the world would be a palin fan. I can only think of two types; the same type of people who enjoy watching reality tv (so non political) and those who get joy from watching people who annoy the shit out of people.

Wait..are you saying most people vote based on politics? I thought most people just blindly followed "there side" regardless of who's name was on the ticket and are clueless about the actual issues of the country :)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Wait..are you saying most people vote based on politics? I thought most people just blindly followed "there side" regardless of who's name was on the ticket and are clueless about the actual issues of the country :)

I guess it's hard for me to fathom people supporting her only because she's a republican. Then again I also find it hard to believe anyone blindly supports a political party even when that party supports positions they don't agree with.

Nov 29, 2006
I guess it's hard for me to fathom people supporting her only because she's a republican. Then again I also find it hard to believe anyone blindly supports a political party even when that party supports positions they don't agree with.

I agree, but that seems to be the majority of voters in this country. Sadly.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Legit question but you would be called an elitist. "How dare you demean "real Americans""

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014

From a year ago:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2014/08/alaskans-down-on-palin-potential-2016-bid.html

Although most people in alaska realize she's an idiot, even 20% who claim they want to see her run is a worrying figure.

People like her are terrible for republicans because as long as they treat her with any seriousness they are somewhat lumped in with her by association. Hell, she was going for VP and came relatively close to it not many years ago. That speaks extremely ill of the republicans. Every time she's on the news we get a reminder that she was the republicans' best pick for VP!!