lol, how is a show like hell's kitchen on the air?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Ramsey just hates seeing people fuck up food. I don't think he's a jerk at all, just intolerant.

But yeah a lot of those cooking shows are ridiculously staged. I enjoy watching Masterchef, for example (winner of season 2 was a stupid choice), but it's easy to tell how set up that show is.

You know those private commentaries that contestants do between the main event? Yea, they're totally told what to say by producers.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
All "reality" shows are as scripted as they need to be. Some do a better job of masking it than others. I accept it as entertainment and just go along for the ride, but sometimes it's just too obvious. This season's antagonist, Elise, should have been gone weeks ago...if it were about cooking. She's there to aggravate the others and she is good at that.
112066764_hk_carrie_elise_xlarge.jpeg

Oh yea, the prize is a trip to the beach.....you just knew the team with three women was going to win. But then they totally missed out on the gratuitous bikini footage. None...zero. Someone dropped the ball.

Last edited:

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
You know those private commentaries that contestants do between the main event? Yea, they're totally told what to say by producers.

Yep, that was what I was implying. I doubt the producers hand them a script. It's probably more like, "You're angry that _____ won and you didn't. Build off of that."

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
I just imagine at the beginning of the season, everyone draws his/her personality from a hat and just acts on it.

Kitchen Nightmare > MasterChef > Hell's Kitchen

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah, prime time needs more T&A if you ask me.

well, not blatant T&A for the sake of T&A, but appropriate, normal T&A. replacing all of the now-accepted violence and murder with some tits would go a long way in getting this country back on the right track.

fucking christian fundy assholes.

/rant.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
It's best to get the DVD's (fuck no - I don't pay for them....) they aren't bleeped and you can figure out more of the actual plot and what the hell Ramsey is saying most of the time.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I know. Ramsey needs to bite his tongue. So little self control it's sad. I step into the other room where I can't hear the dialog and I just hear *beep* .... *beep*

Hopefully the latest episodes will be free on Hulu after an 8 day delay. Sorry FOX, I'm not paying to watch your shows. Frankly HK is a throw-away show and the network knows it because they blow through episodes as fast as they can.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's best to get the DVD's (fuck no - I don't pay for them....) they aren't bleeped and you can figure out more of the actual plot and what the hell Ramsey is saying most of the time.
I think this is the OP's point, not that there shouldn't be profanity on TV. Why put a show on TV when you have to bleep it to the point that you don't even know what people are saying?

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
I just imagine at the beginning of the season, everyone draws his/her personality from a hat and just acts on it.

Kitchen Nightmare > MasterChef > Hell's Kitchen

Kitchen Nightmares is all edited too. They did a restaurant my cousin worked at last season. He said they had to swap out the cooks because one was an illegal and the other had warrants. My cousin was a waiter but they made him act as the head chef. He didn't care because he played the "guy who turned it around and saved the kitchen" role that episode.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
It's just a show he puts on for his US audience. If you watch any of his UK shows, sure he has moments of rage and anger, but for the most part he is very genuine and caring. The swearing thing really is him, though. He swears non-stop in his UK shows too. Must be a Glasgow thing.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Gordon Ramsey is a jerk. Not in a cute, fun way, but a jerk. Unfortunately his shows are entertaining, and tempting to watch, which is the viewer giving him money.

I wasn't sure how much was a persona, but hearing about ral-life cheating, about how when he worked at a restaurant and thought another guy was going to be given his position, he stole the restaurant's reservation book and tried to frame the other guy, that kind of jerk.

I wasn't a big fan of him bringing baby pigs for his young kids to help raise and then eat, either, the kids crying about it. I do like some things he does, though.
why don`t you post links backing up your allegations?
You should not be allowed to slander another person without absolute proof...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Then make sure none of your kids, or whomever you are concerned with, can watch it. Very simple fix really.

But what if I believe that I am not responsible for what my kids see? Are you infringing on my first amendment rights?

:colbert:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The next logical step is to produce a show that is nothing more than a 22 minute long bleep with all actors' mouths blurred whenever they talk. Then everyone can stand around the water cooler and discuss what they think happened in the last episode. copyright 2011 dank69

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It's just a show he puts on for his US audience. If you watch any of his UK shows, sure he has moments of rage and anger, but for the most part he is very genuine and caring. The swearing thing really is him, though. He swears non-stop in his UK shows too. Must be a Glasgow thing.

Yeap. His UK shows are incredibly good. Kitchen Nightmares UK (the original) is very very good, and he is very very genuine. The US version is pathetically horrible.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i've seen SSSSOOOOO many people claim all this shit is scripted, but i've never ONCE seen anyone provide even a link to any kind of proof proving it.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Ramsey just hates seeing people fuck up food. I don't think he's a jerk at all, just intolerant.

But yeah ALL of those REALITY shows are ridiculously staged. I enjoy watching Masterchef, for example (winner of season 2 was a stupid choice), but it's easy to tell how set up that show is.

FTFY

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
The Owl now has a craving for pizza. The Owl's only concern is upon whose vehicle will the digestives be released.

Oceanas

Nov 23, 2006

I like Gordon, but the stolen reservation book story is totally true.

As far as him being a jerk, that's for everyone to decide for themselves. Anyone who has seen Boiling Point or Beyond Boiling Point could tell you that the way he acts on HK is pretty much really how he acts when he's running the line. If anything, he's more tame on HK. In reality, pretty much none of the HK contestants would last more than a night in his kitchen.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
I like Gordon, but the stolen reservation book story is totally true.

As far as him being a jerk, that's for everyone to decide for themselves. Anyone who has seen Boiling Point or Beyond Boiling Point could tell you that the way he acts on HK is pretty much really how he acts when he's running the line. If anything, he's more tame on HK. In reality, pretty much none of the HK contestants would last more than a night in his kitchen.

Wow Ramsey is such a punk. Guess you gotta lie and cheat to get 120M.