LOL @ Dateline NBC...good lookin' people vs average lookin' people in everyday situations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Anyone here a human resources manager? Or anyone here hire people for their company? If so, do you take a pretty woman over an ugly/obese woman? If you're female, do you take a handsome male over a obese/ugly male?

Well I know for a fact if the two applicants are equal in all other aspects, the people hiring in my department hire the good looking women.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I hire people for my restaurant and of course I give preference to the attractive ones(If I do find any at all).
Its wrong but....no but its wrong.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: CTrain
I hire people for my restaurant and of course I give preference to the attractive ones(If I do find any at all).
Not really. Would you rather patron a restaurant full of attractive wait staff or butt ugly ones with bugars stuck in their unkempt beards?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

I guess that is just how life is. Tough luck if you're ugly, deal with it in some other way, shape, or form.

rival

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
i think dateline this a few years ago with job interviews, hot dumb chick vs ugly smart chick...and another with the broken down vehicle with a hot girl vs ugly....

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: tcsenter
Not really. Would you rather patron a restaurant full of attractive wait staff or butt ugly ones with bugars stuck in their unkempt beards?

who said anything about the unattractive waiters being unkempt? someone can be ugly and clean, too.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Where could it be hosted and what file size should someone that's capturing it shoot for?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003

Ugly doesn't mean unclean.

But I go to this fast food restaurant, and the the morning cook there has a HUGE mole on his cheek. Looks so freaking disgusting. I lose my appetite if I see that.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: oLLie
Where could it be hosted and what file size should someone that's capturing it shoot for?

Once you capture it, there will be plenty of takers. The ideal file size should be around 100 MB.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Originally posted by: oLLie

Once you capture it, there will be plenty of takers. The ideal file size should be around 100 MB.

I thought that might be around right but the bitrate calculator on dvdrhelp.com says that for ~50 minutes of video, and a 100 MB file, you should use ~148 kbps. That seems awfully low to me, might need to resize it to 320x240 in order for it to look better.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Luckily I haven't really wokred in an environment where this type of activity takes place, word has it that the company I am working for now used to be notorious for this, the head US director embezelled tons of company money for home repairs, parties and even yacht crusies where he would take all of the hot secretaries out for weekend parties, basically if they didn't participate they were fired...he even had them pose for a calendar called the Women of Astra or something, tried finding it online but it is hard to come by.....

here is a link:

http://www.businessweek.com/1996/49/b350412.htm

I think it is a sad part of life but it is a reality where those who are deemed good looking will get perks simply because they are visually appealing, heck I applied for a IT position at a Legal firm and am most certain judging by their other techs that I did not fit their mold, not that I think I am "ugly" but I am not anything great to look at either :)

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti

Ugly doesn't mean unclean.

But I go to this fast food restaurant, and the the morning cook there has a HUGE mole on his cheek. Looks so freaking disgusting. I lose my appetite if I see that.

MOLE MOLE MOLE MOLE</austinpowersinpersonation>

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Well what do you expect - if you help the hot chick maybe you'll be in her pants by night's end! In many areas of society people prefer to deal with more attractive people. Being ugly hurts your chances of promotion, average salary, etc.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: dolph

who said anything about the unattractive waiters being unkempt? someone can be ugly and clean, too.
True. I will amend my question:

Would you rather patron a restaurant full of attractive wait staff or butt ugly ones?

Hmm, didn't seem to change anything, really.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Is this story the whole subject of Dateline or is it only a short segment? I'm editing the capture now and not all of it looks related to this.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
If a hot woman in a short skirt dropped stuff I wouldn't help her pick it up, I'd stand behind her and enjoy the scenery :D

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
I PM'd Adul about hosting the capture (he's the one with the thread talking about how they have a ton of bandwidth), but I haven't heard back from him after he asked me how large the file was.