Logitech Webcam Recommendation (B990 vs. C920)

Status
Not open for further replies.

essential

Aug 28, 2004
Something is wrong with the search feature at the moment, I just get timeouts, so forgive me if this has been covered.

I am buying a webcam within the next 3 weeks primarily for video calls (Skype primarily i'd assume). I was intent on buying the Logitech B990 HD Webcam. Even though it looks geared toward businesses, I wanted the B990 because it had hardware h.264 encoding (I have an older computer so this was important) and USB 3, which to my knowledge was the first Logitech Webcam with USB 3 (future proof).

Today I read on Engadget that Logitech announced the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920. It almost looks to be the consumer version of the B990 but with 1080p recording (which I don’t need). It looks to have hardware h.264 encoding, UBS 3, and many of the other features appear to be similar or the same.

Anyone see any differences I am missing or have a recommendation between the two?

Thanks!

Logitech B990 HD Webcam
http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/for-business/products/webcams-headsets/devices/b990-hd-webcam

Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/webcams/devices/hd-pro-webcam-c920

takeru

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2002
i was looking at the b990 and c910 last year during black friday. several reviews say the same things. the b990 has no official drivers from logitech, and is seen as a hid device for the most part. the h264 is supported by a select few programs only, i think mostly related to teleconferencing. the point of the h264 was for usage on thin client devices. also, there is a very big size difference between the two. the b990 is HUGE. i would get the c920.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Can't wait to get a C910 when C920 comes out…..Price will be cheaper!

essential

Aug 28, 2004
i was looking at the b990 and c910 last year during black friday. several reviews say the same things. the b990 has no official drivers from logitech, and is seen as a hid device for the most part. the h264 is supported by a select few programs only, i think mostly related to teleconferencing. the point of the h264 was for usage on thin client devices. also, there is a very big size difference between the two. the b990 is HUGE. i would get the c920.

Thanks for the replies. I'll go with the c920, didn't even think about physical size. I'm pretty sure Skype supports h264 which will probably be it's main usage, trying to lighten the load on the CPU.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Finally I got a new Logitech C910 for 42 dollars!! I love this webcam!!!

herit02

Jul 15, 2012
i am just about to invest my savings for this webcam (Logitech HD PRO C920), i wanted the bestcam, to be future proof, is it worth the best cam i could get for money??

eafshar

Mar 14, 2014
The mindset to future proof your webcam purchase disregards your current understanding. Firstly, no-one can knows what will be invented in the future. It hasn't been invented yet. So you cant really future proof, if you don't define what your operational purchase goal is.

a) If your set your operations then as image capture tool, then yes, it can be future proof then unless you want to wait until 4k webcam, then 1080p is fine. But thats a LONG way off.

b) Instead if you define your purchase as a holistic tool to capture the essence of face to face conversation, you instead need to look at something metaphysical. It's an idea at this point. ;)

---

Hi,

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. I locked the thread because the previous reply was a year and a half ago.

Our members refer to such posts as "necro" posts, and some of them tend to post replies ranging from sarcastic to hostile, including possible accusations of spamming, whether warranted or not.

You are welcome to continue posting on our forums. Thanks for understanding. We hope you enjoy yourself on our forums. :)

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator/Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.