Logitech MX518 versus Razer Copperhead

AmongthechosenX

Aug 10, 2008
I currently have the choice of a Razer Copperhead mouse, or a Logitech MX 518 mouse, either one for $25 (used off of a message board).

For some reason I'm leaning towards the razer, but everybody is telling me the MX518 is the best mouse to get.

Opinions?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
If you are left handed, then the answer should be obvious.

If you like to grip the mouse primarily with just your finger tips, often flicking the mouse - Copperhead.

If you like to grip the mouse with your entire hand and palm and make fast, long, sweeping movements with lower sensitivity settings - MX518.

Otherwise there really isn't that big of a difference to be honest. People will swear by one mouse or another, but most people only own one mouse, and they're just doing the typical fanboy thing in trying to further justify their decision.

Other factors to consider:

Copperhead has onboard memory that stores customized profiles, allowing you to setup the mouse to work the way you want it to, and then it will be able to function that way without drivers no matter the computer you plug it into (including if you setup macros to the buttons, increase the polling rate, etc...).

MX518 has extra buttons in a more functional position and has a sensor better suited to very low sensitivity play.

AmongthechosenX

Aug 10, 2008
hmm. i'm pretty sure I'm a low sensitivity gamer. i don't like the mouse being able to spin my player 3 times when i move it an inch, haha.

everybody i've asked i saying MX 518. I've also found a razer lachesis for sale. i may be checking that out.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
right, but the low sensitivity required for there to be a difference is really really low, on the order of 12+ inches to do a 360

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
between the copperhead and MX518 I will say the MX518, because my copperhead broke within a year, and there was many complains about the laser sensor.

IF it's the copperhead 3G or the old Diamondback(which I also own), I am gonna say I prefer them over the MX518/G5, mainly because of the shape that caused my thumb to rest too deep into the mouse. However only 1 of the side buttons are useful with the razer because the other one is hard to press, and the wheel is not as responsive as logitechs, if you can't live without the side or 3rd buttons then get the logitechs. And the software's crappy, for all of my razer mouses (like 4 of them...) I end up using the software to set up the profile and then uninstalled it.

One last note, the copperhead/diamondbacks are lighter than logitechs. Razer mouses are light in general, even the heaviest boomslang doesn't feel like much weight comparing to the logitech counterpart. They are made for high sensitivity users.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I happen to have a MX518 and a razer Copperhead.
Both are great mice and allow sensativity adjustments on the fly. (so you dont have to have it set extra sensative if you dont wanna)
And neither REQUIRE the software to be installed which i like, cuz i hate extra crap running.

It really is personal preferrence of which "feel" you like.
But either one will most likely feel wierd to you at first, but you get used to the one you're using after a day or so and you'll love it. (either one)

I actually love both, but it takes some getting used to when i switch between my pc's. (one has mx518, other copperhead)