Local news is such a joke! You'd think we were under a state of emergency

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Ok, our forecast today is for 1/2" to 3/4" of ice. There's probably already a 1/4" out there that I can see.

Well, the local news stations are interviewing people on the phone from ALL OVER the freaking state and they ALL say the SAME #$@&%$& thing!

<heavy southern drawl>

"Uh...yeah...this is Earl, it shore is slick out dare. Ah tried scrapin' the ice offa mah car but, I tell ya, 10 minutes later it was already covered agin."

"Yeah, this is Beverly. My neighbor done called me and told me not to go to church cuz she seen on the television that it was closed for services. Mah front porch is like a skatin' rink."

And then they go into a 5min. spiel with the weatherman about the Doppler radar showing precipitation coming in.

Then they cut to a reporter on the scene and we get to see more pictures of cars moving fine down the interstates but cars in parking lots spinning tires a bit before they get going.

rolleye.gif

I think I'll pop in a movie. Got the HTIaB and my 27" Apex hooked up in my room last night (only good thing about the Apex is it was cheap...$119...wow...quality sucks but I'm used to my HDTV ;) )

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
That's what people like. At least here.

No one cares about anything important, they just want to hear absurd and obvious local stories.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
There was a big worry about that in KC too. Wasnt too bad for me, I kicked it in $wd out of the parking lot, hit the highway and cruised out of the city on my way home at a brisk 65, passing everyone and just flying by the people who have no idea what "bad weather" is.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
"All is fine, nothing to see here" doesn't make a news cast that anyone wants to watch.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
My mom has a friend who moved to Indiana from Georgia several years ago... The first snow of the winter (a nice, dry, and gentle snowfall of about an inch), she called her mother in Georgia all in a fit about this "terrible blizzard." Oh, and in some of the southern states (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), they'll cancel school at the mere possible threat of snow...

But here in Indiana, we only cancel school and church services if things get icy or rather deeply covered in snow. Unlike Michigan, where they actually clean the freaking roads and go about their business without letting the snow and ice accumulate for a few days before deciding to do anything about it.
rolleye.gif

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
this is the winter version of when the hicks go on TV in the summer and say that the tornado...."just sounded like a train was right ontop of the house (trailer)"

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
snow sucks ass though. I'm better off on my 21-speed in 3-4 inches than my mustang...

lol... I'd rather push that feaking car to work in the blizzard of the centruy than drive a honda there :beer:

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
School is only canceled here if the snow is over your head.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: kyparrish
this is the winter version of when the hicks go on TV in the summer and say that the tornado...."just sounded like a train was right ontop of the house (trailer)"
Reminds me of one line from Jeff Foxworthy: "I thought we'd be killed, or even worse; I looked out the window in time to see the Jenkin's house go right over our roof - all I could think was Caroline still has my casserol dish..."

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
that's all right, here in SoCal when they're predicting a little rain all the news broadcasts have "Stormwatch"!!!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: jliechty
Oh, and in some of the southern states (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), they'll cancel school at the mere possible threat of snow...
Yep. Of course, in the South we get far more severe weather than in the midwest.

But here in Indiana, we only cancel school and church services if things get icy or rather deeply covered in snow. Unlike Michigan, where they actually clean the freaking roads and go about their business without letting the snow and ice accumulate for a few days before deciding to do anything about it.
rolleye.gif
Yep. There has been ice on the roads for 15 hours and they have done exactly zero about it. Every idiot in the county is calling me at work, too. :)

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I live in Columbus, OH, and right now we have quite a bit of snow and ice out there... which I wouldn't mind. It's just the drivers that don't have a freaking clue that I mind.

If there haven't been trucks out cleaning the roads, there's a reason. My dad is a road worker for a township about 50 miles south of here. His bosses called him and informed him that he is not to report to work until the snow stops falling... which will likely be in an hour or two. If there is ice on the roads, and then snow accumulates on top of it, you do NOT want snow plows to push the snow away - the snow will give you more traction than the ice will (assuming you drive decently). Conditions vary... I would bet that right now dad probably just fired up the truck and is getting ready to go over to the shop and prepare to plow. Since the snow will be stopping soon, and we're not supposed to get much more ice, it's a good time to get the roads cleaned.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: jliechty
My mom has a friend who moved to Indiana from Georgia several years ago... The first snow of the winter (a nice, dry, and gentle snowfall of about an inch), she called her mother in Georgia all in a fit about this "terrible blizzard." Oh, and in some of the southern states (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), they'll cancel school at the mere possible threat of snow...

rolleye.gif

Maybe in some states, but our system won't cancel unless the roads are clearly dangerous.

Edit: There is a reason "they don't do anything about it"; it isn't cost effective to fund cleanup crews when there is hardly ever snow/ice.