Llano shipping

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010

What are you smoking? nV and Intel aren't even on speaking terms, let alone share R&D. The SNB GPU's don't have any nV tech, and there won't be any in future Intel processors.

I think he was reading into the recent cross-patent deal between Intel and Nvidia. Intel now has access to Nvidia patents, but you're right in that SB does not incorporate any of it. The next gen of integrated GPUs might be another story though.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/01/intel-nvidia-settlement.html

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
I think he was reading into the recent cross-patent deal between Intel and Nvidia. Intel now has access to Nvidia patents, but you're right in that SB does not incorporate any of it.

Well, no. All the big players use tech patented by each other, cross-licensing or no. It's simply impossible to make a modern DX10 GPU without trampling on about a hundred patents by AMD, nV, S3 (yes, really) or Intel. The cross-licensing deal simply codified the status quo -- "We both know that we could both stop each other from shipping a single product with a simple cease-and-desist. So let's not." Or, in more detail, Intel sued nV for trying to invade on it's chipset business and nV pointed out that every single GPU made by Intel since 1998 or so contains technology whose patents are owned by nV.

Nobody really refrains from shipping a product because it infringes on a competitor's patent these days -- because you can be certain that the competitor also infringes on a bunch of your patents. The only patents that are scary are the ones owned by companies that don't have any products that would be threatened by your patents, or "patent trolls". The patent system might be in need of reform.

But in any case, this is all about the lawyers in both companies trying to make themselves look useful. This has absolutely zero real-world implications for engineers working at Intel.

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
GPU memory bandwidth, is a issue.

a few solutions:
1) Sideport memory (either Embedded, or a extra socket, for GDDR5 ram to be put into)
2) Embedded DRam on chip. (like IMB does with its Power line, or Xbox360 ect ect)
3) Faster DDR system memory, more channels (tripple or quad).

DDR4 is right around the corner too... DDR4 in tripple channel or quad channel, could be enough for next generation APUs. I believe the Embedded DRam on Chip solution is what is gonna be adopted, AMD will ask IMB for a little help and volla... 16-32mb Embedded Dram will be added onchip for the APUs (which will be plently memory bandwidth for the next gen APUs).

I dont expect next gen top APUs to be 6970's in performance.

http://citavia.blog.de/2011/04/05/a...onstruction-work-at-globalfoundries-10934679/
Lmao... 800mhz Llano with Turbo on, matching the 2.4-2.5ghz Athlon II, in single threaded Benchmarks.

Problem is all the above blow your transistor and power budget. Remember Llano is supposed to be a budget part.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Problem is all the above blow your transistor and power budget. Remember Llano is supposed to be a budget part.

I was thinking if AMD wanted to do a ~160watt APU, that had like... say a 6870 level GPU power, and a 3ghz x4 bulldozer in it.

Then it would be a more expensive chip (not really a budget part), and it would need to figour out a way to deal with memory bandwidth issues.

However it would probably still be ALOT cheaper (to produce) than 4c bulldozer + discrete 6870.
It would probably use less power than a real 4C bulldozer + discrete 6870 too.

transistor budget? it shouldnt be that big a chip should it?
6870 is 255mm^2 at 40nm... on 28nm that would be like 155mm^2 die size for the GPU.

can you imagine that? almost 470 level gpu performance from a apu?
It would be fun if they did something like that.

It would just require a gigantic heat sink :)

Last edited:

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
I was thinking if AMD wanted to do a ~160watt APU, that had like... say a 6870 level GPU power, and a 3ghz x4 bulldozer in it.

Then it would be a more expensive chip (not really a budget part), and it would need to figour out a way to deal with memory bandwidth issues.

However it would probably still be ALOT cheaper (to produce) than 4c bulldozer + discrete 6870.
It would probably use less power than a real 4C bulldozer + discrete 6870 too.

transistor budget? it shouldnt be that big a chip should it?
6870 is 255mm^2 at 40nm... on 28nm that would be like 155mm^2 die size for the GPU.

can you imagine that? almost 470 level gpu performance from a apu?
It would be fun if they did something like that.

It would just require a gigantic heat sink :)

the old slot 1 and slot a processors come to mind :D

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Me too, but I already have too many machines.

I'm thinking my wife wants a Llano laptop. :biggrin:
I just ordered a pair of Lenovo laptops on a hot deal. They have Fusion CPUs in them as well. One is a single core, the other is a dual core. I'll post some benchmarks once I have them. One of them is going to be an HTPC, the other I'm going to use for the internet and some light gaming.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@SickBeast

You get the C-50? :) that little ah heck is a 9watt TPD rated cpu+gpu.

If ur useing that for HTPC, make sure your useing software that can make use it.

Adobe flashplayer 10.2 (flash)
Cyberlinks PowerDVD 10 (blu-ray ect)

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000

Have to be-careful with that. I think its better to term it a budget platform not a budget part kind of like the 890GX motherboards.

Its very possible that the CPU might be more expensive based on CPU performance then a comparative Intel solution, but inclusion of the GPU, the motherboards sold for it, and the chip-sets that those motherboards will use, will drive down the cost on the whole platform.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
@SickBeast

You get the C-50? :) that little ah heck is a 9watt TPD rated cpu+gpu.

If ur useing that for HTPC, make sure your useing software that can make use it.

Adobe flashplayer 10.2 (flash)
Cyberlinks PowerDVD 10 (blu-ray ect)
One of them has an AMD Zacate E360 (dual core 1.6ghz), and the other has an AMD Zacate E250 (single core 1.5ghz).

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
^

You mean E350 and E240

Both have the same high speed GPU but just 1 is single core (1.5Ghz) and the other is dual core (1.6)