Llano "fake" overclocking - CPU-Z can be fooled.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I re-built my open-air LLano A4-3420 rig that I was messing with a few months ago, into a case and with a new 120GB SATA6G SSD. It's on an A55 ECS board, with a single 8GB Kingston DDR3-1866.

In order to overclock locked LLano APUs, you need to manually enter the memory timings, and then set the memory clock to something low (I have mine set at 667Mhz == DDR3-1333 - with bus overclocking, the actual clock is higher). Also need to set SATA mode to IDE, if you plan on going higher than 106 FSB.

Anyways, I had everything set, or so I though, so I plugged it all in, went into BIOS, set what I thought was a conservative 110 FSB, and proceeded to install Win10 1607 64-bit.

That went fine, but when it came time to download and install the video drivers, it gave me a Code 43 - won't start error with the video driver. I tried disabling it, and re-enabling it, and then I got a black screen, that I had to finally force RESET.

So I reset the IGD VRAM setting to "Auto", reset the FSB to 100, and booted that way.

Finally, the video driver loaded, and I found something interesting in it.

The APU drivers, have a "CPU Overdrive" section, to allow you to overclock your APU.

There's an "Auto Tune" that you have to run, before manually enabling an OC. Doing that, and it slowly steps through multipliers, running a stress-test each time. I had CPU-Z open, and I watched, in amazement, that each multiplier step was showing up in the CPU Core Speed.

Only, that appears to be false?

After Auto-Tune finished at 3600Mhz, and prompted for a reboot, I manually tried setting the multiplier / clock speed using the overdrive slider, from 2800MHz to 3600Mhz. Then I ran the CPU-Z benchmark.

NO CHANGE.

So, it apparently wasn't really overclocking anything.

This was actually known, that certain LLano boards would APPEAR to let you change the multiplier in BIOS, but in truth it had no effect.

That appears to be the case here.

So, I've got it overclocked via FSB, to 112. Which gives a CPU Core Speed of 3.15Ghz. Not too bad.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Oh this one bit me too, I was so hyped up one night "seeing" major gains and stability on my A8-3850 based HTPC build. Then it turned out I was basically just doing nothing. *sigh*

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
It's been LONG since I've last used this platform, however the CPUPll on Llano was definitely somewhat special. You could indeed "virtually overclock" it under certain conditions, but also change the range of the Pll to suit your needs. Since the range changing feature was a debug feature, the information required to add the detection for it was never given to the software developers (such as CPU-Z). IIRC MSI also implemented a feature called as "Lab Burst" into the bios of their FM1 motherboards. This feature obviously did nothing to the actual frequency of the APU, it simply altered the timers. Your system clock would also move quicker if you used it.