Living room decoration suggestions?

Mar 15, 2003
My family has finally accepted my help.. So here's my problems:

1- what color curtains/drapes go well with beige walls/hard wood (oak) floors?
2- What color sofa goes with beige walls and hw floors?
3- We're going for an indian/south asian art motif - any suggestions to pull this off (we're going to pick up some antiques to change our china closet into a display case of sorts)..

Thanks for any ideas.. The room is currently really drab and depressing so I want to make it a bit more festive..

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
pics of room, perhaps?

Been watching a bunch of trading spaces or something ;)

Anyway, I would suggest maroon or a similar red tone curtains. They will be very dramatic in a room with beige.

As far as the floors, are they a dark wood or light wood? I would suggest maybe black for a light wood, and for dark wood... I would suggest getting a new floor ;) (I hate dark wood floors)

I would find some rugs or cloths that have asian/indian styling and hang one or two. That would be a good start. Additionally, you can look up pictures of india and similar countries and see if anything sparks your intrest. I think some pottery would go well, too.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: ness1469
pics of room, perhaps?

Been watching a bunch of trading spaces or something ;)

Anyway, I would suggest maroon or a similar red tone curtains. They will be very dramatic in a room with beige.

As far as the floors, are they a dark wood or light wood? I would suggest maybe black for a light wood, and for dark wood... I would suggest getting a new floor ;) (I hate dark wood floors)

I would find some rugs or cloths that have asian/indian styling and hang one or two. That would be a good start. Additionally, you can look up pictures of india and similar countries and see if anything sparks your intrest. I think some pottery would go well, too.

Thanks for the reply! I don't have a digicam but should really pick one up.. The red curtains suggestion is a good one but I'm trying to stay away from anything too dramatic- the current curtains are these terrible velvety red ones that make the living room feel like a vampire's lair.. I think an earthy red/brown may actually work (I'm going to get some fabric from a local indian store and get my mom to make them into curtains)...As for the floor- very light, oak type floors.. Black is actually a good sofa suggestion..It goes with everything and I've always liked the look of black leather.. The rug India is actually what gave us the idea - my parents picked up a pretty snazzy silk rug filled with precious stones that's too expensive to walk on - we're hanging it on the wall and building the room around it..

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Originally posted by: UglyCassanova
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
<not gay, can't help you. :D

Are you metrosexual? If so then you're just lazy.

I've heard that before, but what does it mean?

Men who are straight but act like they're gay.

BTW, I'm not homosexual, metrosexual or what not.. In fact, my gf is away for 5 weeks and I just need a project to keep me busy.. the thought of living in a classy/cultured joint is kinda cool too.. nothing gay about having taste..

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Originally posted by: UglyCassanova
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
<not gay, can't help you. :D

Are you metrosexual? If so then you're just lazy.

I've heard that before, but what does it mean?

Men who are straight but act like they're gay.

BTW, I'm not homosexual, metrosexual or what not.. In fact, my gf is away for 5 weeks and I just need a project to keep me busy.. the thought of living in a classy/cultured joint is kinda cool too.. nothing gay about having taste..

No one was talking to you.

Trygve

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2001
Insufficient information for a meaningful answer; that's too much like saying that you're in the mood for dessert, and asking what toppings you should use.

The walls and floors could potentially go with almost any color or pattern for the curtains and sofa (note that did I say almost)--it's coordinating with the other stuff you're going to put into the room that you'll need to worry about. On the plus side, you do have a general decorating style you're shooting for which will help narrow your choices down, but on the negative side, it's one that I'm generally unfamiliar with.

One very good approach is to locate one or more pieces of furniture (or art) that you really, really like and then start building the rest of the room playing off of that. Pick out the things that you really like first, and then work on filling the gaps with the stuff you have to think about what color you want it in.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Trygve
Insufficient information for a meaningful answer; that's too much like saying that you're in the mood for dessert, and asking what toppings you should use.

The walls and floors could potentially go with almost any color or pattern for the curtains and sofa (note that did I say almost)--it's coordinating with the other stuff you're going to put into the room that you'll need to worry about. On the plus side, you do have a general decorating style you're shooting for which will help narrow your choices down, but on the negative side, it's one that I'm generally unfamiliar with.

One very good approach is to locate one or more pieces of furniture (or art) that you really, really like and then start building the rest of the room playing off of that. Pick out the things that you really like first, and then work on filling the gaps with the stuff you have to think about what color you want it in.

Good suggestion.. We're building the room around this rug/tapestry that's made out of silk -it's black with many different gemstones (messure 55x75)... We're going to frame it to preserve it (it's worth around $5,000) and place prints of asian art around the room in cherry wood frames.. That's the other dominant theme/color - most of our furniture is made of cherry wood... THe clashing element's our marble coffee/end table set.. They're white (marble) with thousands of gemstones.. I don't think it matches but maybe I'll try to tie them all together.. I can't just replace them because they cost $10,000.. Don't ask my why they spent so much on coffee tables-I'd rather they have bought a plasma tv.. Anyways, I'm thinking about getting a black sofa/loveseat set but think it may blend to well with the black tapestry.. I'm trying to grab some acient art from ebay as we speak - i hope I can pull this off before school starts again!

P.S. I don't have a digital camera but will take some 35mm before and after pics and scan them soon..