Living in the suburbs blows

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
So ya, living in the city for 15 years, and moving to the suburbs this summer, has really given me a new perspective on life. I mean, before my parents bought a house in the burbs, we always talked about how we would never ever want to live in the suburbs because there is literally almost nothing there, and the traffic to get anywhere close to the city is insane. Fast forward and yes, we buy a house in the burbs, 30 km away from work, friends, and what I call an interesting place to live.

I hate driving to work for 1 hour each day stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I hate being late at work when there is an accident or a hint of bad weather and everyone turns into retard zombie mode and go slow. I hate coming back from work in rush hour traffic reliving the whole experience again. When I come home I am too tired to head out anywhere, especially in my car, and I never want to drive again till the next day. Living in the city I never had this problem, I actually enjoyed driving and being at my particular destinations of choice in a matter of 5 minutes.

I think the money you save on housing living in the suburbs is in no way a payoff towards the convenience you have of living in the city at a higher price. Also I forgot to mention that there is absolutely fuck all to do in the suburbs, stores are far away, you have to have a car to get anywhere, and every weekend I get the most massive flyer bag ever created with specials at every store for me to shop in, wtf is that shit!

/Discuss

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
The suburbs is for married people with kids. The city is for the young and the childless.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Hmm..depends on what kind of person you are, some hate the population amount of the suberben lifestyle even.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Mwilding
The suburbs is for married people with kids. The city is for the young and the childless.

/thread

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
My job is pretty far out from downtown, so it only makes sense for me to live out there as well. After being used to this quick, low-stress commute, I don't think I could willingly move any further away from my job than I already am.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
About the retard zombie mode..

Having been working in Louisville for the past two months, I noticed the majority of the population conform to traffic rules very adamantly. Light snow fall causes traffic to slow to a 10mph crawl and everyone and I mean EVERYONE would follow this pace. This would never happen in Jersey :p

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by: DVad3r
So ya, living in the city for 15 years, and moving to the suburbs this summer, has really given me a new perspective on life. I mean, before my parents bought a house in the burbs, we always talked about how we would never ever want to live in the suburbs because there is literally almost nothing there, and the traffic to get anywhere close to the city is insane. Fast forward and yes, we buy a house in the burbs, 30 km away from work, friends, and what I call an interesting place to live.

I hate driving to work for 1 hour each day stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I hate being late at work when there is an accident or a hint of bad weather and everyone turns into retard zombie mode and go slow. I hate coming back from work in rush hour traffic reliving the whole experience again. When I come home I am too tired to head out anywhere, especially in my car, and I never want to drive again till the next day. Living in the city I never had this problem, I actually enjoyed driving and being at my particular destinations of choice in a matter of 5 minutes.

I think the money you save on housing living in the suburbs is in no way a payoff towards the convenience you have of living in the city at a higher price. Also I forgot to mention that there is absolutely fuck all to do in the suburbs, stores are far away, you have to have a car to get anywhere, and every weekend I get the most massive flyer bag ever created with specials at every store for me to shop in, wtf is that shit!

/Discuss

Depends on the suburb. Some of the nicer ones have pretty much all the ameneties you could want. Combine that with the fact that not everyone works in the city, and you have the reason why lots of people live in a suburb. I grew up in the country, city, and suburb, and they all have their advantages. When my parents lived in pittsburgh, they lived in a suburb that had pretty much anything you could want. My dad worked 15 minutes away, and my mom taught at the local highschool.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
If you like the city so much why don't you move out of your parents house.......

I guess its easier to complain than actually pay rent!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

/Discuss

I agree 100%. I know people who moved out to Temecula because houses are cheap and you can buy a larger house on more property but they spend 2-3 hours driving to and from work each day.

I love North County San Diego because there is a lot of industry and jobs and there is also suburban type housing (although, it's more expensive and on smaller lots). Tons of stuff to do, beaches, night life, etc and it's all within 10-15 miles. So, I'm not in the downtown area of the city but I am close to my job (10 miles one way) and I can hop on the freeway or take a few different routes on surface streets or even ride my bicycle to and from work.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

/Discuss

I agree 100%. I know people who moved out to Temecula because houses are cheap and you can buy a larger house on more property but they spend 2-3 hours driving to and from work each day.

I love North County San Diego because there is a lot of industry and jobs and there is also suburban type housing (although, it's more expensive and on smaller lots). Tons of stuff to do, beaches, night life, etc and it's all within 10-15 miles. So, I'm not in the downtown area of the city but I am close to my job (10 miles one way) and I can hop on the freeway or take a few different routes on surface streets or even ride my bicycle to and from work.

Middle ground FTW!

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002

/Discuss

Toronto's traffic is awful... if I lived in that city, I would live downtown too, if I could afford it.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I lived in Boston for 3 years...I am in Lowell now....and now I am moving to Natick in 2 months. :( I miss the city.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yes...city living. Nothing like questionable neighborhoods, increased crime rates, more pollution, shotty living areas and questionable structures. I'll take the burbs...

Perhaps I just never saw the point of city living. Then again, I like things slower paced and not packed in like sardines.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
I live in the city for all of the reasons you listed.

qft! I cannot stand the traffic to get into the cities, would hate to waste so much of my time driving to and from work.

City has its disadvantages too. Saying one is better than other is like comparing applies to oranges.

I grew up in a suburbs all my life and now living in Boston now for 3 yrs. I like being in the city but the things I don't like:

*Everything is fvcking expensive. EVERYTHING. $12 + tip for that shitty ass Mojito you haphazardly made in 10 seconds? Gimme a break.
*Cities are generally dirtier
*In breezy summer nights, I'd fall asleep with the windows open, listening to the lullabies of crickets and night birds. In the city, I wake up 2-3x in the middle of the night fucking homeless idiots cussing and screaming at the TOP OF THEIR LUNGS at each other over a leftover chicken fingers at 4AM in the morning.
*Suburbs have YARDS and LAWNS. I have the fondest memories of my parents' big ass, near-one-acre yard where we played football, frisbee, and even falling asleeping on a bench.
and more...

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: E equals MC2

qft! I cannot stand the traffic to get into the cities, would hate to waste so much of my time driving to and from work.

City has its disadvantages too. Saying one is better than other is like comparing applies to oranges.

I grew up in a suburbs all my life and now living in Boston now for 3 yrs. I like being in the city but the things I don't like:

*Everything is fvcking expensive. EVERYTHING. $12 + tip for that shitty ass Mojito you haphazardly made in 10 seconds? Gimme a break.
*In breezy summer nights, I'd fall asleep with the windows open, listening to the lullabies of crickets and night birds. In the city, I wake up 2-3x in the middle of the night fucking homeless idiots cussing and screaming at the TOP OF THEIR LUNGS at each other over a leftover chicken fingers at 4AM in the morning.
*Suburbs have YARDS and LAWNS. I have the fondest memories of my parents' big ass, near-one-acre yard where we played football, frisbee, and even falling asleeping on a bench.
and more...

I live across the River in Cambridge from you. I like the diversity of people. I love being able to walk to work, restaurants, the Charles River or the T into Boston. I'm lucky to have a yard but you're not far from the Esplanade, Boston Common, Arnold Arboretum and just five miles north is the Middlesex Fells Reservation.

Small things I like also. In the winter, the city enforces people to shovel their sidewalks. In the suburbs, I'd be stuck walking my dogs or running in the street.

In regards to noise, I've gotten use to it. I also play music while I sleep to drown out any outside noises.

If I had kids, I may be singing a different tune.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

and more...

I live across the River in Cambridge from you. I like the diversity of people. I love being able to walk to work, restaurants, the Charles River or the T into Boston. I'm lucky to have a yard but you're not far from the Esplanade, Boston Common, Arnold Arboretum and just five miles north is the Middlesex Fells Reservation.

Small things I like also. In the winter, the city enforces people to shovel their sidewalks. In the suburbs, I'd be stuck walking my dogs or running in the street.

In regards to noise, I've gotten use to it. I also play music while I sleep to drown out any outside noises.

If I had kids, I may be singing a different tune.

I live in Cambridge too actually. Right on the Arlington border close to Alewife. I just said Boston for the sake of simplicity.

Let's meet and neff together. :heart:

Do you want my address? I'm right off of Davis Sq on the Redline too. I like football, snowboarding and photography. What do you like? You wanna hang out sometime? What's your favorite color? Mine is red! Fiery red!

Please let me know!!!!! :heart::heart::heart:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Yes...city living. Nothing like questionable neighborhoods, increased crime rates, more pollution, shotty living areas and questionable structures. I'll take the burbs...

Perhaps I just never saw the point of city living. Then again, I like things slower paced and not packed in like sardines.

If you think those things don't exist in the suburbs you've obviously never looked around.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: K1052

If you think those things don't exist in the suburbs you've obviously never looked around.

In that case there are Suburb-like cities too. He's GENERALLY speaking. Don't be anal. ;)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052

In that case there are Suburb-like cities too. He's GENERALLY speaking. Don't be anal. ;)

I know, I grew up in a suburb like city. It sucks ass and still has problem areas.

Location when either discussing city living or the suburbs matters a lot. There are examples of both wouldn't set foot in.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
I like the suburbs, they have pretty much 90% of what you get in the city. I live in Champaign, IL, the middle of nowhere, but due to the Uni it's basically suburban living. I've got access to city and university orcherstra and theater. There are bars and clubs and we get big acts that come through town into Assembly Hall. Back in Chicago, most large venues, like Tweeter Center, were in the suburbs not downtown. In Chicagoland, going into the city you had the museums, theaters, and clubs. Nothing I really need to actually live in the city to go see. Plus, I like living in a house with a yard and being able to actually drive somewhere and park.

Besides, hasn't Canada discovered locomotives yet? Public transportation FTW. We lived forty-five miles outside of Chicago yet we could get in on the train in forty minutes.