Live Mexican Border Cameras Need YOU!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Posted this in OT as well. I may as well double post, someone else would have anyway.

The Texas Border Sheriff's Coalition has partnered with BlueServo to provide a network of live border cameras that ordinary citizens can sign up to monitor for suspicious activity in real time.

The Texas Border Sheriff's Coalition (TBSC) has instituted the Texas Virtual Border Watch Program to enlist the public's assistance in preventing crime along the Texas-Mexico border. This initiative provides real-time streaming video over a web-based network to enable the public to report suspicious activity to the appropriate law enforcement agency via email. Day and night surveillance cameras have been placed strategically throughout the border region to deny drug and human smugglers unobserved access to the U.S. by placing high-threat areas under public surveillance. The numbers and locations of these cameras will constantly change based on threat. To view the Texas Virtual Border Watch cameras, the public can visit the www.BlueServo.net website.

'A significant number of Texas landowners who live and work along the border have requested cameras to be placed on their property. This initiative advances the concept of a neighborhood watch by leveraging the latest surveillance technology to create a 'virtual' neighborhood watch program," said Arvin West, Hudspeth County Sheriff and 1st Vice President of the TBSC. "By putting more eyes on the Texas-Mexico border, law enforcement can better protect our state from powerful and ruthless Mexican crime cartels and violent transnational gangs."

"It is a well-known fact that public involvement in community watch programs reduces crime," said TBSC Executive Director Donald L. Reay. "Texas Governor Rick Perry and the Texas Border Sheriffs recognize the value of leveraging technology, public-private partnerships and the public to protect Texans."

Gov. Perry has provided $2 million in Criminal Justice grant funds to the TBSC for this initiative. Working with local law enforcement agencies, the State of Texas conducted a test in November 2006 to assess video camera capabilities and public interest in reporting suspicious activities observed over the Internet. Twenty-one cameras were used during a four-week pilot period, resulting in over 27,940,119 hits and 2,780 reports of suspicious activity.

"Leveraging advanced technology is a key part of our state-led approach to making our border stronger and our nation safer, and I am pleased with and will continue to support the Texas Border Sheriff's Coalition commitment to seeing this virtual border watch concept fully realized," said Gov. Perry. "Under this innovative program and the watchful eye of law enforcement and citizens, those criminals, predators and terrorists looking to exploit our border with Mexico or do harm in our communities will lose their greatest strategic asset: the cloak of secrecy."

To minimize costs and maximize coverage, the TBSC entered into a public-private partnership with BlueServo to provide this much needed capability. The TBSC and BlueServo anticipate that a high volume of traffic to the website will generate advertising revenue to defray the infrastructure and costs of operating the Texas Virtual Border Watch Program, which would enable a substantial increase in the number of cameras deployed.

The Texas Border Sheriff's Coalition is comprised of 20 sheriffs from counties along the Texas-Mexico border. The coalition was formed in 2005 to protect Texans from criminal organizations that had long exploited the state's southern border.

Interesting, to say the least. It's like a high tech community watch. I'd say it's a real "force multiplier" for an overextended border patrol, and gives people who are directly impacted a way to be part of the solution.

Our headlong rush into Big Brother territory does give me some pause, though.

Smile! You're on Texas Camera!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Unfortunately I envision this involving staring at a screen of sand where nothing moves until the "shift" is over. Sounds _extremely_ boring.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I have been viewing on Blueservo for a while and have spotted numerous stuff mostly late at night.

I think this is a great idea that was poorly implemented, the cameras needed to be mobile and moved around at least on a daily basis if not more frequent. The bad guys can view these cameras too, they know their locations and avoid them thus what you can spot on them are usually newb idiots.

If they were made mobile, camouflaged, and constantly moved around on the border they would catch a lot more and give the real bad guys something to worry about.

The other thing that bothers me is when you do spot something good going on, report it; too often someone turns the camera away from the action or off, which kind of makes one suspicious. What don?t they want you to see?

May 16, 2000
I'd like to see hundreds of cameras, moved frequently, with consideration of their quality, focus, and maintenance. There are a LOT of bored people sitting around online who could be watching stuff for us. Hell, I have 4 cameras up right now. Not that I'm super attentive to them, but if enough people do it chances of catching go up remarkably.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Privacy is sacred but anonymity is vital to the commission of most crime. The solution, in my opinion is to record everything that happens to every person but access the records only when there is suspicion of crime. This will be possible when we have universal implant access to the internet 24/7.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
They should make it like those internet hunting sites, where you can fire a gun online.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
They should make it like those internet hunting sites, where you can fire a gun online.

The police will need only to trigger your implants to render you unconscious for apprehension.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Slew Foot

I think we should have full control of cameras equipped with silly string. That will show those illegals !

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Unfortunately I envision this involving staring at a screen of sand where nothing moves until the "shift" is over. Sounds _extremely_ boring.

And it really isn't necessary. Someone should introduce them to software. The software compares frames from how ever far apart you like, 5 secs or 5 minutes. Then notifies you if there is movement set by whatever threshold you set.

Its been around since 1995. I imagine it is much better now.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Modelworks

And it really isn't necessary. Someone should introduce them to software. The software compares frames from how ever far apart you like, 5 secs or 5 minutes. Then notifies you if there is movement set by whatever threshold you set.

Hehe, win, you are right. There's no need for a person to peep in unless something indicates movement for a particular camera. It would work unless the people move extremely slowly :)

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
And it really isn't necessary. Someone should introduce them to software.
Hehe, win, you are right. There's no need for a person to peep in unless something indicates movement for a particular camera.

I think I found the REAL reason for "citizen participation:

Because www.BlueServo.net is an internet social network, in the future, BlueServoSM anticipates that high volume of traffic to its website will generate advertising revenue to defray the operations cost of the Virtual Community WatchSM to the Texas Border Sheriff's Coalition.

THAT, and the political bonus of making people think they are "involved."

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
If they want to solve the problem, they need to integrate remote control guns with the remote cameras. They could sell access to the server

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I remembering some SciFi movie were if a normal got within range of an infected the infected would begin with a hideous high pitched scream. Now if we could reverse engineer that so the normals begin to scream when the aliens get near, maybe we could drive them to go home.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Privacy is sacred but anonymity is vital to the commission of most crime. The solution, in my opinion is to record everything that happens to every person but access the records only when there is suspicion of crime. This will be possible when we have universal implant access to the internet 24/7.

Who's with me in chipping in and buying Moonbeam a ticket to Britain?

-Edit-

On a more serious note, this reminds me of NASA's public program to count all the impact craters in their photo database which is/was so huge they didn't have the staff to do it.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Who's with me in chipping in and buying Moonbeam a ticket to Britain?

No, but here's your first quarter towards buying a clue or a sarcasm detector -- you need one of them.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

Hehe, win, you are right. There's no need for a person to peep in unless something indicates movement for a particular camera. It would work unless the people move extremely slowly :)

hehe, I can see it now. People learn what the interval is for the cameras detecting movement, say 5 minutes apart.

Someone knocks out power and when it comes back up, he stands still so he becomes the reference photo . Waits 5 minutes then he runs to the other side while a friend takes his last place. They slowly cross by the hundreds, 5 minutes at a time, standing like statues in between frames :)

Hey man I gotta take a piss. you can't you have to hold it! Man I can't !

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
all this results in is a bunch of paranoid losers reporting everything they find suspicious and wasting the precious time of government officials.