Live fast, die young...

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
My 8800GTX started artifacting at stock speeds yesterday...

When I say artifacting, I mean the full screen basically goes 'plaid' and the PC locks up, not the sparkles or tearing that people see when pushing the OC too far... I also doubt it's a power issue as the same PSU was powering dual 7900GTXes prior to this card, and I'm using the two 6-pin PCIe power connectors as opposed to the y-adaptors that came with the card. I hope this isn't due to the rumored resistor issue that was kicked around before the launch...

I've already exchanged the card for a replacement, and will be installing it this evening. I just kind of wanted to the throw this out there to see if anyone else has had any issues with their card... Hopefully, this was just a fluke...

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Originally posted by: nitromullet
My 8800GTX started artifacting at stock speeds yesterday...

When I say artifacting, I mean the full screen basically goes 'plaid' and the PC locks up, not the sparkles or tearing that people see when pushing the OC too far... I also doubt it's a power issue as the same PSU was powering dual 7900GTXes prior to this card, and I'm using the two 6-pin PCIe power connectors as opposed to the y-adaptors that came with the card. I hope this isn't due to the rumored resistor issue that was kicked around before the launch...

I've already exchanged the card for a replacement, and will be installing it this evening. I just kind of wanted to the throw this out there to see if anyone else has had any issues with their card... Hopefully, this was just a fluke...

thanks for the info, we'll be on the lookout. :thumbsup: good luck with the second card.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Eh, that's a risk you have to take with new technology. EVGA has your back. Still I know it's a pain in the arse to have to deal with.

Thanks for the heads-up!

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Well, Micro Center had my back along with EVGA. They are actually really good about returns.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I can wait for 65nm..what this card was meant to be built on.... not 700+million potentially faulty transistors spread over 1 inch square 90nm processees. Too much power..too much chance for failure plus I'm as fast as is 6 months ago and $440..

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Tough luck m8. I hope the second one does not give you any trouble.. Thanx for the feedback

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: nib95
Maybe its one of those cards that had that original transistor error?

I have considered that... I would be pissed if that rumor is true and EVGA let them go to retail.

Originally posted by: josh6079
So, better than HIS and Monarch? :p

Yes, it is... However, I really don't hold a grudge against Monarch for that whole deal... Monarch is still the best local store to buy high end gear around Atlanta.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo
I can wait for 65nm..what this card was meant to be built on.... not 700+million potentially faulty transistors spread over 1 inch square 90nm processees. Too much power..too much chance for failure plus I'm as fast as is 6 months ago and $440..

Yeah but Zebe's, Die shrink does not reduce the number of transistors, just their size. Still technically the same ratio of chance that something will go wrong. The only things to look forward to for the die shrink would be cooler runnings, and less power consumption. All other things will most likely remain the same. Large card syndrome probably wouldn't change (much). And some nice GDDR4 would be a good change.

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: Zebo

Yeah but Zebe's, Die shrink does not reduce the number of transistors, just their size. Still technically the same ratio of chance that something will go wrong. The only things to look forward to for the die shrink would be cooler runnings, and less power consumption. All other things will most likely remain the same. Large card syndrome probably wouldn't change (much). And some nice GDDR4 would be a good change.

Oh probably it will have another important change..
NV4x = MADD + MUL / ALU
G7x = MADD + MADD / ALU
G80 = MADD + MUL / ALU
G81 = ?? ;)