Little personal story on the evolution of my view on healthcare

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
This is rather long, so bear with me.

If anyone ever follows my post history, you would see that I used to be the typical card carrying conservative on every issue from war to healthcare. The whole "personal responsibility" and "free market" line was the way I soothed my conscious when I was forced to ponder 50 million people without health insurance. I was raised by good parents who sent me to a good school, paid for my college, and then supported me until I got my first professional job and started carrying my own insurance. Supporting myself and being responsible came easy to me.

Fast forward several years to my mid 20's. My wife comes to me with a look of terror on her face. She was in the shower, and she noticed blood coming from one of her breasts. I of course go to WebMD, and based on my reading, find out that bleeding from the breast translates to a very high correlation with breast cancer. I try to think of everything I can to explain this away, for instance she was shaving her legs, and perhaps nicked herself with the razor. Anyways, we of course schedule an appointment with her OBGYN, which is easy because we are financially stable and insured. We have an appointment 3 days later, which is an excruciating 3 days, because I'm pretty much bracing myself for a cancer fight. She goes to the OB, they examine her breasts, and tell her she feels something that should be checked out, and sends her to radiology for a mammogram. We feel cancer is inevitable at this point. She goes in for the mammogram, and then we simply have to go home and wait for the results. I'm not a very religious man, but that night I laid in bed and prayed to god to spare my wife. I said I would give anything, and never ask for anything again.

The results come in, and thank god they don’t see anything, but they still recommend going to an oncologist just to be sure. We go in there, and I wait in the waiting room as my wife is seen by the doctor. Given that it's an oncologist, most of the people around me have, or have had cancer, which is a situation I have never found myself in. It's sort of easy to take when it's just old people walking in, but there was one teenager in there, and a couple of people around my age. I came into this room already feeling a sense of relief for my wife, but most of these people are fighting for their lives from a disease they did nothing to deserve.

It was that moment that I thought of all the people who didn’t have the same access to care that we did. The thought of someone finding a lump where it shouldn’t, or blood where it shouldn’t be, and not having the same opportunity to get it checked out is entirely unacceptable to me. Those people experience the same feelings of hopelessness and dread that we did, only they have no straight forward avenue to get it checked out like we did. Many will just explain it away, or come up with some reasonable explanation to soothe themselves. That was the first moment I really peered through the "personal responsibility" and "free market" bullshit as it pertains to health coverage, and truly empathized with other people that were not as fortunate as me.

Our free market system, and one’s ability to compete in it, should dictate what house you live in, what car you drive, what toys you buy, etc. It should NOT dictate whether you should live or die if you get sick. Our country is better than that. The free market is too cruel and unforgiving when it’s people’s lives we are dealing with, and the only people who would disagree in my opinion are those who have never faced true adversity when it comes to their health.

edit: I should have noted that my wife got the all clear after that oncologist appointment.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I agree with your post completely, especially the last paragraph, and best wishes for you and your wife.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Of course life altering events will change ones view of the world. But lets remember our current healthcare system is not "free market" at all.

Nov 30, 2006
Excellent post. I also think we need a better healthcare system and was hoping D's and R's could work together to find something that would work in a fiscally responsible manner. Lol...I'm such a dreamer.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Amen brother, glad you saw the light! Sorry it took the thought of losing your wife :(

I guarantee you the vast majoritity of those that preach HC is just another industry and should be "free market" regulated haven't yet felt the desperation or despair that our broken "for profit" healthcare system creates every day for so many people.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Your problem is not "free market" health care. It can't be because we don't have it. What we have is a crony capitalist health care system, and you're correct, it is cruel and unfair.

I do wish you and your wife the best of luck.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I haven't had insurance for over a decade and still don't want "the public option" or anything else from our government. You know what our government needs to do for us? Quit spending money and trying to fix everything they think is wrong. The amount of money our government spends every year is a joke and it's going to keep getting worse unless we, the people, take the power back.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Excellent post, OP. Hats off to you for sharing that!

That was the first moment I really peered through the "personal responsibility" and "free market" bullshit as it pertains to health coverage, and truly empathized with other people that were not as fortunate as me.

Your story would be more accurate of the real-life circumstance of many if during all of this you had lost your job (and thus your health insurance). With the reality of that situation, your choices would be either get treated and go bankrupt or death. :(

(Though I'm glad everything turned out all right. :))

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Though it's true corporate whores have made this anything but a free market system I mostly agree with the OP and find my own sentiments moving toward that, too.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Though it's true corporate whores have made this anything but a free market system I mostly agree with the OP and find my own sentiments moving toward that, too.

You think it was corporate whores who pass crushing regulation?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
That was a very good post.

It fits very well what I've long said - that generally the right wing is caught up in 'ideology' - the same things you say you believed (and you did post them) that you now call 'bullshit' on healthcare. That some sense of caring about the others in the world, much less your country, is essential for good policy. The same 'let them eat cake' attitude is the same whether it's held by a few dukes and nobles ruling, or a small percent of the nation, or a small percent of the world population over the rest in poverty.

The thing I've long said is that it's very, very hard to get people who are caught up in that ideology to understand why to change it.

You did here - not for any reason having to do with liberals, but because you had this threat, one I'm very glad worked out (my sister was diagnosed with invasive cervical cancer this year and has surgery soon).

The question I ask is, when this good event as far as political evolution occurs you had, how can we better help more of the right wing come to the same realization?

Note even in this thread how some of them are not here learning from you, agreeing with you, but making excuses for the current system, not worrying about the uninsured.

The ideology you mention is very appealing to many - and reinforced by an entire industry out to push it, not because it's right but because it persuades the 'dirty public' to accept policy bad for them, good for the rich. The right wing media is filled with pushes to do what you had done. You may not realize it yet but you are saying the same thing I have long said, and liberals have said, for a long time - that there should be some economic inequality, that you can get a nicer house, a better car, better toys, under the private system, but there are limits. Opportunity should be increased, healthcare available,

I suspect as a 'former right winger' on this issue, you can now look around at the liberal argument at the rest of the advanced world all providing 'universal healthcare' and see that as persuasive.

The question is, how can we get more right wingers to evolve as you did, since the right wing media is still out there and they don't mostly have the situation you experienced?

You are now in a position to discuss that issue - and to appreciate how hard it is. You understand how someone telling you the same things before would not have changed your opinion.

You talk about how you now better appreciate your benefits - and I've long said we tend to take them for granted and 'blame the poor'.

If you continue to learn about issues like poverty, you could well be on the road to the same sort of understanding on other issues and evolving into a liberal. Look at people like David Brock who did so.

What would you suggest for helping right wingers understand the things you learned on a mass basis?

I'm glad you had good news for your family.

(Please don't quote this post when replying).

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
I continue to be amazed at the glimpses you give us of the black & white world you live in. Have you every thought or even conceived of the possibility that extremist ideologies (left or right) are a huge part of the problem?

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I continue to be amazed at the glimpses you give us of the black & white world you live in. Have you every thought or even conceived of the possibility that extremist ideologies (left or right) are a huge part of the problem?

Since the 'extreme ideologies' on the right are a main theme I comment, on - ioncluding the posts you quoted here - I have to ask how you are to uninformed about what I post when you ask this question.

I've also criticized ideologies on the left and center. The 'ideologies on the extreme left' are all but irrelevant in the US - there are no 'Stalinist movements' or 'Maoist movements'.

The ideology of the center is here, is strong, and is harmful, but is little known, people take it for granted. People who don't look at the merits of an issue but say 'it's one one side or the other so I'm against it'.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Excellent post, OP. My views are evolving as well and I think I am in agreement with your viewpoint. I just wish people in Washington could put politics aside and address the issue in a logical and sane manner.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
There is no such thing as free market when it comes to healthcare, aside from maybe elective procedures. When you are seriously ill, you are by definition under duress and will pay whatever the provider wants you to pay. If that's your definition of free market, then a robbery is a free market transaction where you pay money for the service of keeping your life.

Nov 29, 2006
Our free market system, and one’s ability to compete in it, should dictate what house you live in, what car you drive, what toys you buy, etc. It should NOT dictate whether you should live or die if you get sick. Our country is better than that. QUOTE]

Thanks for seeing the light :) That is exactly how i feel. Im all for free market but not when it comes to health.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Our free market system, and one’s ability to compete in it, should dictate what house you live in, what car you drive, what toys you buy, etc. It should NOT dictate whether you should live or die if you get sick. Our country is better than that. The free market is too cruel and unforgiving when it’s people’s lives we are dealing with, and the only people who would disagree in my opinion are those who have never faced true adversity when it comes to their health.

This. Economic success should be required for lobster, Ferraris, and luxory vacations. Not healthcare.

I would also point out this: the presently uninsured are mostly people who are employed, but whose employer doesn't provide insurance, or are between jobs. The long term unemployed are generally covered through Medicaid. This isn't laziness. It's a flaw in the system.

- wolf

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
The question is, how can we get more right wingers to evolve as you did, since the right wing media is still out there and they don't mostly have the situation you experienced?
Evolution or not if it's true that more people over time are being squeezed out of the system my guess is almost to a one those who are squeezed out and face a problem will be on the size of something universal, so at some point a critical mass will be attained.

Take unemployment for example, only 10% and yet most people have some fear of it. If you can have enough people screwed in their access to health it will scare the rest.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
There is no such thing as free market when it comes to healthcare, aside from maybe elective procedures. When you are seriously ill, you are by definition under duress and will pay whatever the provider wants you to pay. If that's your definition of free market, then a robbery is a free market transaction where you pay money for the service of keeping your life.

Interesting analogy. I agree.

Nov 30, 2006
Since the 'extreme ideologies' on the right are a main theme I comment, on - ioncluding the posts you quoted here - I have to ask how you are to uninformed about what I post when you ask this question.

I've also criticized ideologies on the left and center. The 'ideologies on the extreme left' are all but irrelevant in the US - there are no 'Stalinist movements' or 'Maoist movements'.

The ideology of the center is here, is strong, and is harmful, but is little known, people take it for granted. People who don't look at the merits of an issue but say 'it's one one side or the other so I'm against it'.
So...'extreme ideologies' on the right are significantly relevant (these are the 'so I'm against it' obstructionists I imagine) and 'ideologies on the extreme left' are all but irrelevant. Gotcha.

Tell me...where did the 'screw you...it's my way or the highway' supermajority approach get us in our mutual quest for a better healthcare system? Nowhere.

..."all but irrelevant" my ass.