Lite-On 24X SATA DVD-RW $9.99 AP FS @ Newegg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Lite-On DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS124-14 - OEM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106393&ignorebbr=1

$4 off w/ promo code 116BNGS34, limited offer

$13.99 - $4 = $9.99 FS

I think that these are retail-boxed, and not bulk-packed. At least, the batch of Lite-On DVD-RW 24X drives that I bought last month were retail-packaged, with a demo / trial version of Nero something-or-other included. (Just download ImgBurn, make sure not to install the "companion software".)

Limit 5 per customer.

(Might as well stock up, while they're still making these things.)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I currently have a Bluray burner installed in my current setup.
Any reason to get this additional drive...?
If you need to fill out a 5.25" faceplate?

But seriously, some people use multiple drives, to reduce wear&tear on any particular drive. If you were renting RedBox, for example, then I would possibly suggest getting one of these, specifically for watching movies on.

Reactions: harobikes333

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com
If you need to fill out a 5.25" faceplate?

But seriously, some people use multiple drives, to reduce wear&tear on any particular drive. If you were renting RedBox, for example, then I would possibly suggest getting one of these, specifically for watching movies on.
Sounds legit reason to me :) Hoping i don't get a dud though. Reviews were mixed

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Excellent timing, my currently installed burner recently stopped burning (still plays fine) and I was down to my last spare.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I grabbed a couple too. The wife's DVD drive isn't windows 10 compatible, and we'll have a spare now.
Thanks Larry!

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
What will happen is the old ones will randomly fail to be seen. She could be listening to a cd, or watching a dvd movie, and windows will just stop seeing the drive. Granted she doesn't use the dvd drive that much anymore, but enough to be annoying.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What will happen is the old ones will randomly fail to be seen. She could be listening to a cd, or watching a dvd movie, and windows will just stop seeing the drive. Granted she doesn't use the dvd drive that much anymore, but enough to be annoying.
Makes me wonder, how old is the PSU? Tried changing the SATA cables? (They're pretty cheap, under $1.)

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

This issue is the very reason I came to this thread. FACT: Windows 10 HATES CD/DVD drives. Just do a Google search....you'll find millions of thread on this. I had a perfectly good, rarely used Samsung drive. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and poof! the drive disappeared from Windows Explorer. I tried everything, uninstalling, reinstalling drivers, Regedit, device manager tweaks.....nothing.

Just built a new system. Brand new install of Windows 10......no luck. While the drive appears in bios, appears in Device Manager, and even appears in Windows Explorer, it will not read any data. So I'm gonna throw a few dollars at a new drive that hopefully is W10 compatible.....

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
to Windows 10 and poof! the drive disappeared from Windows Explorer.
You do realize, the behavior is different in Windows 10. The CD/DVD/BR drives normally only show up in Explorer.exe, when the drive actually has a readable disc populated in the drive. This is different from all prior versions of Windows, which showed the drive letter being present all of the time.

This behavior does not mean that your CD/DVD drive is "incompatible" with Windows 10.

CD/DVD drives are standard ATAPI devices. Windows' built-in ATA.SYS, IDE.SYS, ATAPI.SYS, and STORPORT.SYS drivers are ancient. Even on a Windows 10 machine, DISK.SYS shows as from 2006. They haven't changed the actual low-level ATA interface code in a long time. So I have a hard time understanding why some people think that their drives are "incompatible", when they show up in Device Manager and BIOS still, but not Windows 10.

Chances are, they are just dirty/dusty, or old, and have trouble reading discs, and therefore, when you put in a disc, and it should show up in Explorer.exe, but does not, is because it failed to read the disc.

Which, given how infrequently most people use their drives, it just "coincidentally" shows up around the time that Windows 10 came around and got installed for most people.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
You do realize, the behavior is different in Windows 10. The CD/DVD/BR drives normally only show up in Explorer.exe, when the drive actually has a readable disc populated in the drive. This is different from all prior versions of Windows, which showed the drive letter being present all of the time.

This behavior does not mean that your CD/DVD drive is "incompatible" with Windows 10.

CD/DVD drives are standard ATAPI devices. Windows' built-in ATA.SYS, IDE.SYS, ATAPI.SYS, and STORPORT.SYS drivers are ancient. Even on a Windows 10 machine, DISK.SYS shows as from 2006. They haven't changed the actual low-level ATA interface code in a long time. So I have a hard time understanding why some people think that their drives are "incompatible", when they show up in Device Manager and BIOS still, but not Windows 10.

Chances are, they are just dirty/dusty, or old, and have trouble reading discs, and therefore, when you put in a disc, and it should show up in Explorer.exe, but does not, is because it failed to read the disc.

Which, given how infrequently most people use their drives, it just "coincidentally" shows up around the time that Windows 10 came around and got installed for most people.

Yes, I understand all that (now). But maybe my tinfoil hat isn't working but it sure does seem like there are a LOT of people out there who suddenly had their drives go bad around the time of the Windows 10 upgrade.

But for what it's worth, I bought the drive listed in this thread (bought on Amazon for $18.99 because I needed it quickly and could get it in a day for free via Prime). Installed last night. It works fine. Well, at least it reads fine....I was able to install Office 2007 and some files I use for a moonlighting job. No plans for writing anything. I'll probably rip some Cds I have, uninstall the drive, store it carefully in a box and put it on a shelf until needed again.