List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV...

Page 91 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
6/10 The Lovely Bones---There are some great scenes and I like the way the story is told, but there seems to be long gaps that drag on. There are also scenes when I just had to /facepalm while holding back some tears, emotionally charged, but hard to accept at the same time
**when she finally gets her first kiss**
. Also found the fate of the asshole rather uninteresting, especially after it seemed he was doomed.

At times the movie seemed Great, a lot of the time I just wanted it to hurry and end already.

The payoffs were absolutely horrendous and almost laughable (the spoiler part you mentioned for example). Getting me all irritated just thinking about it again. :D

KT

MAKENITO

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2009
6/10 The Lovely Bones---There are some great scenes and I like the way the story is told, but there seems to be long gaps that drag on. There are also scenes when I just had to /facepalm while holding back some tears, emotionally charged, but hard to accept at the same time
**when she finally gets her first kiss**
. Also found the fate of the asshole rather uninteresting, especially after it seemed he was doomed.

At times the movie seemed Great, a lot of the time I just wanted it to hurry and end already.

Yes. Damet - that was farking Dumb!! I cant believe I forgot this part. Pisses me off all over again.

The payoffs were absolutely horrendous and almost laughable (the spoiler part you mentioned for example). Getting me all irritated just thinking about it again. :D

KT

Oh Fark Yes.
**Hows about when the little kid is painting nanas toenails and then points at the picture on the wall - "she's in the in between** Yes it was worth mentioning again.
I wanted to throw my popcorn at the screen. Blaaady heck.

Last edited:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
You highly recommend a movie you haven't seen? It's Russell Crowe, by the way. Other than those you've mentioned, Master and Commander, Cinderella Man, 3:10 to Yuma, and State of Play are all pretty good Crowe flicks.

Why did you hate Braveheart? I understand disliking Gibson, but he's been in some pretty awesome films, especially in his early career. Mad Max and Gallipoli stand out, and even the Lethal Weapons were pretty classic if you're into buddy movies.

Braveheart just came across as silly a lot of the time. The battle scenes though brutal were often almost comical in their use of blood and gore. I know the film was all about William Wallace but I had difficulty seeing past Mel Gibson the actor and it ended up seeming more like a personal Mel Gibson anthem. A lot of it also seemed more like a childhood fantasy than a historical drama, a little too much testosterone induced fun and a little too little reality. To say that I actually HATED it might be a bit strong though, I just didn't care for it.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Yup, fantastic movie everyone should watch before they release a terrible American remake.

2012 - 6/10
Crap.
Very nice CG crap, but still crap.

Yeah I refuse to watch Let Me In when it comes out this year. I rather die than watch a remake of Let The Right One In.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sugata Sanshirô 1943 7/10
While this may not be one of Kurosawa's best works, this movie was his first as the director. It was a good movie.

The Most Beautiful 1944 5/10
Movie about a bunch of women working in a factory. Story is tedious, dialogue is weak. Acting's decent. Given the context in which this film was made, I might be inflating my rating a bit.

Sugata Sanshirô 2 1945 6.5/10
A bit weaker than it's precurser, but otherwise as a sequel this doesn't sail the failboat.

The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail 1945 7/10
A prince and his bodyguards are hunted down and they try to escape. Story is good, acting is decent. This seems MUCH more like a "real" Kurosawa film that his few earlier works.

No Regrets for Our Youth 1946 7.5/10
This was a real treat to watch. Kurosawa's still not at his strongest yet, but he is getting pretty damn good.

One Beautiful Sunday 1947 5/10
Their country is filled with corruption and in ruin. Despair is everywhere. Essentially, you watch a young poor couple's day. I found this film boring.

Drunken Angel 1948 8.5/10
This movie shows us a taste of what's to come. Mifune is awesome in this film. The characters were excellent. I think this might just be Kurosawa's first real masterpiece.

Sanjûrô 1962 9/10
OK, so I watched them somewhat out of order. I wanted something with some action. Can only watch so many art films in a row, no matter how wonderfull or majestec they may be, without a break. Awesome film, not quite as good as Yojimbo, but still a very well told story. The final scene in this movie changed cinema forever. I'd put this in my Kurosawa top 10 for sure!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ahh, so you got the Kurosawa boxset it appears. Very nice!

I am waiting for it to come out on Blu-ray, but the question is do I buy the single movies now and then sell them when the set comes out? :hmm:

KT

Texun

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2001
All DVD or BR
Surrogates 6\10 Futuristic, like i-robot but with people on the other end of the bot.
Suspect Zero 6\10 Decent movie with a different twist on the usual serial killer type.
Sin City - 9\10 for the 10th time. Marv carried half the movie IMHO, and seeing Rosario Dawson in leather made the other half.
Hurt Locker - 4\10 More of a documentary about a demolition team in somewhere in the middle east - Iraq, or one of the 'stans. They bring in a new team member who is a hot shot and a bit of a rogue. I was expecting a movie.

DVR'd
Rio Conchos - It's DVR'd and I haven't finished it yet. It's an old western with Richard
Boon (Paladin) and so far it looks good. It's raining today so I'll probably get through it later this afternoon.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
Hurt Locker - 4\10 More of a documentary about a demolition team in somewhere in the middle east - Iraq, or one of the 'stans. They bring in a new team member who is a hot shot and a bit of a rogue. I was expecting a movie.

What? It's not a documentary.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Rashômon 1950 9.5/10
Just got through watching this gem of a film. Went in with very high expectations, and I must say, they were all exceeded. Mind blowing.

Ahh, so you got the Kurosawa boxset it appears. Very nice!

I am waiting for it to come out on Blu-ray, but the question is do I buy the single movies now and then sell them when the set comes out? :hmm:

KT
I picked up the Criterion set from Amazon, was just under $300 USD. Not too bad considering there's 25 films, some of which underwent some pretty hefty restoration. But unlike the individual releases, it doesn't include addons/extras/director commentaries, etc. It came in a nice box, and had a book with it, but if you are the type that likes to watch movies with the director commentary, then you may be better off getting the individual titles as they are released. (though if you buy them that way, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg!)

Anyhow, I hadn't been buying nearly as many DVDs as I once did, but this was just something I couldn't pass up.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Push 6/10 Would have given it more if they used their powers more

Inglourious Basterds - 7/10 Good, not enough german killing though. Better than I expected, although I was right that Brad Pitt would ruin the movie for me

Zombieland - 7/10 Wish there was more zombie killing

Zodiac - 8/10 Pretty good movie, kind of hard to follow at times, but wasn't thinking "wtf happened?" at the end.

Moon - 7/10 Liked the beginning, kinda lost interest a little once
it turned out that they were clones, and he wasn't just losing his mind. Was really looking forward to a movie about a guy going crazy.
Wasn't too convinced by his acting at times.

The Golden Compass - 6/10 Wasn't really into this movie. I loved the book, haven't read it in years. I might go pick up the trilogy at the library, although I should be reading my textbooks lol

Star Trek - 9/10 Never watched the tv series, but really liked this movie.

Last edited:

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
The White Ribbon (Das weisse Band) - 9/10

What a great movie. Definitely one you need to see a second time to catch the subtle things you missed the first. Character development was amazing (you really got to know all of the characters within the community). Cinematography was excellent (very long shots helped create strong emotion/fear). If you have a good attention span and are a true film lover, you should definitely see it.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Watched Zombieland last night: I had mixed feelings going in. I wasn't sure I would like it. Previews didn't excite me really but all reviews were pretty positive. I liked it. I'm glad there are still some movies that don't force themselves to be 2 hours long. Wasn't a great movie but definitely entertaining. Solid 7, 7.5

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Stray Dog 1949 8/10
Film-noir with mentor/rookie characters. Rookie gets his gun stolen and he tries to track it down. Murphy's law prevalent throughout much of the movie. Overall, a very good film. Even though it was from the 40s, it has a sort of modern feel to it. Much more so then most other films of it's era. Maybe it has just aged well...

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Avatar - 5/10 - Yeah I had to go see the fucking thing. Well let me put it this way it's a beautiful looking cartoon without any of the parts of the best cartoons out there (see pixar). The characters are paper thin, the enemy is laughably cliched, the good guys are laughably perfect. The dialogue is laughably bad, (unobtanium - are you FUCKING kidding me UNOBTAINIUM?!). The script was just cut and pasted from other James Cameron movies, aliens, titanic, with a bit of Disney thrown in for good measure. The music is just as clichéd, lots of "stirring" orchestral pieces, lots of deep drum beats. The Na'Vi are seriously like some 1960s hippies idea of what a perfect race would be like. In fact much of the movie seems like it belongs back in the hippie era. The annoying thing here is that being a liberal myself I basically agree with the message behind the film but FOR GODS SAKE I DON'T NEED TO BE HIT OVER THE HEAD WITH IT EVER SECOND WITH AN IRON CLUB! Yes I think what was done to the natives WAS horrible, yes I think we still have a lot of learning to do, yes I think the bush administration was evil, yes we are destroying the environment yes yes yes!! I agree with you James now shut the fuck up and go make a REAL movie we can watch.

The only redeamiong feature here is the visuals. And I have to say they really pulled it off here for the most part. The film is wonderful to look at. The beginning scenes where you are first introduced to the forest are almost truely beautiful. But even here they went too far, does every fucking thing have to be bio luminescent? I mean I get it it's a magical land where everything lives in harmony but enough with the glow sticks already. Note: If you DO want to see it for its visuals you really do need to see this in a theatre, even on a large screen and with blu-ray you aren't likely to get the whole effect.

Anyway it's the perfect example of why you don't need to have much money to make a good film and why tons of money doesn't make a good film (accept maybe in certain technical aspects that don't matter much).

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Lakeview Terrace 4/10 (being generous). Too many holes. Too many filler scenes. Not to mention aren't they supposed to make you empathize with the "good guy". He was a pretentious prick and a moron. I was hoping they would both kill each other.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
The Happening - 0/10 The absolute worst movie I have ever seen. I haven't seen acting or a script this bad since Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. It's almost painful to watch Wahlberg try to act. I don't know what was wrong with him in this movie, but I don't remember him ever being this bad.

This review from metacritic pretty much sums it up.

"Quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen. Wahlberg's acting blends in well with the trees and blows much harder than the deadly breeze he runs from."

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ikiru 1952 profoundly solid 10/10
Holy shit, Takashi Shimura was one HELL of an actor! Great story, wonderful storytelling, and incredible acting. I need to see this one again as I am sure I still have more to learn from this film after only one viewing. The movie is very powerful and moving. I can't decide if This, Ran, 7 Samurai, or Red Beard is my "favorite" Kurosawa film, but I believe this may be his very best. I am very eager to see more of his films. The more I see, the more I appreciate his genius, no, not just genius, his virtuosity! The only downside to seeing more of his films, is the sad realization that I will soon run out of new Kurosawa material, and then, never again feel the same elated emotions from any form of art, for they will have raised the bar so high that nothing else could ever come close. Ikiru is impossibly good. It needs not Samurai, battles, or flair. What it has contains so much meaning and depth, that it has changed my understanding of the meaning of life. Ikiru may just be "the" magnum opus of cinema.

• Love
Reactions: SteveGrabowski

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ikiru 1952 profoundly solid 10/10
Holy shit, Takashi Shimura was one HELL of an actor! Great story, wonderful storytelling, and incredible acting. I need to see this one again as I am sure I still have more to learn from this film after only one viewing. The movie is very powerful and moving. I can't decide if This, Ran, 7 Samurai, or Red Beard is my "favorite" Kurosawa film, but I believe this may be his very best. I am very eager to see more of his films. The more I see, the more I appreciate his genius, no, not just genius, his virtuosity! The only downside to seeing more of his films, is the sad realization that I will soon run out of new Kurosawa material, and then, never again feel the same elated emotions from any form of art, for they will have raised the bar so high that nothing else could ever come close. Ikiru is impossibly good. It needs not Samurai, battles, or flair. What it has contains so much meaning and depth, that it has changed my understanding of the meaning of life. Ikiru may just be "the" magnum opus of cinema.

Damn, I've never seen this one. I'll have to get on that, stat!

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Dead Snow (Død Snø) - 6/10: Norwegian zombie movie about a group of young med students that head up to a cabin and run into a group of WW2 zombie soldiers. I really did not enjoy the first part of this movie with the characters just acting dumb in the cabin and the establishment of the scariness outside, but once we actually get to see the zombies and the true death and mayhem starts to happen, it's a lot of fun. One odd thing is the subtitles were absolutely horrendous with lots of mistyped words ("scene" used in place of "seen" and things like that) which was kind of distracting. Anyway, not the best zombie film out there, but the second half made this fun.

Family - 7/10: A documentary that follows a Danish man as he searches for his long lost Father, who abandoned him and his family as a kid. The death of his Mother and the suicide of his Brother are what cause him to seek his Father out and the ensuing journey is heartbreaking, confusing, and uplifting throughout. His journey takes him to Yemen and the family members he meets there and the interactions they have are definitely the best parts of the film. Simple film, but pretty compelling and interesting.

Heavy Metal Parking Lot - 7/10: A short documentary (~15 minutes) from 1986 with two guys in a parking lot outside of a Maryland coliseum where people are ramping up for a Judas Priest concert that is about to happen. Pretty funny stuff watching the 80's metal heads, drunk, stoned, or just crazy, and all of the silly things they say and do. Funny stuff and a perfect length for the limited material. They also did various other short docs like this, including Neil Diamond Parking Lot, which were ok, but nowhere near as good as the original.

KT

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2000
The Happening - 0/10 The absolute worst movie I have ever seen. I haven't seen acting or a script this bad since Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. It's almost painful to watch Wahlberg try to act. I don't know what was wrong with him in this movie, but I don't remember him ever being this bad.

"Quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen. Wahlberg's acting blends in well with the trees and blows much harder than the deadly breeze he runs from."

You must not have seen many movies. The Happening certainly isn't great, but compared to the previous Shyamalan film, Lady in the Water, it's like Citizen Kane. I'd call it a 40th-percentile movie, but I have certainly seen at least 500 worse films.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
From a few comments on here, last night I saw Let the Right One In
Good movie. Thought they would keep the mystery going longer than it did, but it still worked. Definitely gets you caring about the characters. Probably a solid 7.5, maybe 8

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008

The Happening was one of the very worst movies that I have ever seen at the theater.
There were people cursing when the credits were running at the end. CURSING!
This movie truly was a pile of shit.

Mar 11, 2004
Been too long since I posted in here, and there's literally a couple of hundred movies I could put ratings for, but I think I'll just stick with one.

Inglorious Basterds - 5/10
I liked the long scenes, although I think they screwed up the pacing of the movie and it could use some more action. The problem I have is that its like they tried to spend most of the time on characterization, but I still did not give a shit about any of the characters. This is a huge issue for me and to me mostly ruins the film. The basterds especially, and I thought Brad Pitts character sucked (not the acting, the character). Even if they're wanting you to not especially like any of them, I just plain didn't care.

I'm starting to realize I really am not much of a Tarantino fan. Pulp Fiction is the only movie of his that I really liked. I can see his talent in his films, but it doesn't make me like them any better.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Avatar - 9/10 Saw it in 3D, was pretty impressed. It took a little while for me to get used to the 3D, and even at the end was still a little annoyed at how everything that moves is blurry. I gave it such a high score because I'm one of those people who loves a movie that looks great and has some good action. I couldn't care less about a plot in a movie like this. I went in expecting to see some awesome visuals and I left satisfied. Ended up missing a few minutes of the end because I had to take a piss so bad I was sweating. I just barely made it to the end of the final battle.

For a free movie, it was definitely worth it lol. (Scene points)

Status
Not open for further replies.