List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV...

Page 277 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Rubber - 3/10. I understand what they were trying to do, but they went way too overboard with it. The pseudo audience, the pseudo cop/actor, etc. The film would have been much better in my mind if they just toned down the randomness and stuck with the story of the tire. I know it sticks with the idea of the plot of "no reason" but the ONLY question I wanted answered was why the tire was on such a destructive path.

Yeah, I was with it for about 15 -20 minutes, but a full movie out of this thing was just far too much. Funny short film idea that was blown into a full feature and failed.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Mesrine: Killer Instinct Part 1 - 8/10:
Biopic of famous French criminal Jacques Mesrine. This was the first of a two part movie. It stars Vincent Cassel and he is awesome. It's kind of a weird movie, there isn't much of a plot, it just goes through various parts of his life, I'm not sure how accurately. It's all fascinating though, and exciting; There aren't really many slow points, as one film wasn't enough to capture his whole life, and even with two they seem kind of rushed.

The English Surgeon - 9/10:
Man this was intense stuff.
This documentary offers a glimpse into the life of an English neurosurgeon (Henry Marsh) situated in Ukraine as we are exposed to the overwhelming dilemmas he has to face and the burden he has to carry throughout his profession.

Netflix has had this streaming for a while but for some reason they only had the first 20 something minutes of it, which I didn't know until it cut off on me, months ago. I recently noticed they had the whole thing up and I decided to watch it after Mesrine, since there was only about an hour left of it.

Anyway, it's about an English neurosurgeon, Henry, who for whatever reason(I forget, this may have been in the first 20 minutes that I saw a while back) saw the horrible conditions of the hospitals in I believe Russia, and has for the last 15 years been going to Ukraine to help people, assisted by a doctor he met and has been working with all that time, Igor.

In Ukraine they don't have the money, resources, or skilled personnel to perform surgeries that would be considered easy in the west, which creates many problems and stressful situations. I don't have much more to say about it, but it's a must watch

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Dial M for Murder - 8.5/10:
Alfred Hitchcock, need I say more?

Clever clever movie, and not predictable at all, at least for me.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

The English Surgeon - 9/10:
Man this was intense stuff.

Netflix has had this streaming for a while but for some reason they only had the first 20 something minutes of it, which I didn't know until it cut off on me, months ago. I recently noticed they had the whole thing up and I decided to watch it after Mesrine, since there was only about an hour left of it.

Anyway, it's about an English neurosurgeon, Henry, who for whatever reason(I forget, this may have been in the first 20 minutes that I saw a while back) saw the horrible conditions of the hospitals in I believe Russia, and has for the last 15 years been going to Ukraine to help people, assisted by a doctor he met and has been working with all that time, Igor.

In Ukraine they don't have the money, resources, or skilled personnel to perform surgeries that would be considered easy in the west, which creates many problems and stressful situations. I don't have much more to say about it, but it's a must watch

Ahh, been wanting to watch this one for a couple of years now. I've heard it's pretty amazing and your review seems to confirm this. I'll have to track it down.

KT

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Finally got around to watching Tron: Legacy last night. the movie is a 7/10 plot wise and a 9/10 for the visual effects and the LFE track is an 11/10

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Matrix Revolutions - 4/10

Why yes, I have been flipping by AMC in the wee hours. About 1/3 of the movie is good, 1/3 OK, and 1/3 just WTF. That the humans need labor-intensive processes to build and maintain their infrastructure fits both in terms of being plausible, and as a way to be different from the machines, but that's where it ends.
A city with small tunnels everywhere, highly accessible by a giant high-ceiling room? They've had plenty of time to fix the problem of the dock existing as it does, and clearly had the means to do it, as well, in some fashion. It's not like the machine threat was new, at this time. Defensive gates that open with gravity? Open-cockpit walking mecha where small tanks, or at least mecha that protect the user, would be infinitely superior? The machines, in their great numbers, meaninglessly spiraling around, rather than covering small openings, which would likely not even take 5% of the squids visible on-screen? That they have neat scifi energy weapons that are highly effective in close quarters, but instead prefer small arms, which need labor-intensive ammunition (the RPGs make sense, at least, but not so much the rest)? That they would have EMPs as their weapons of choice, but not harden their infrastructure against them? I was even dividing my attention this whole time between a computer and two cats, and this crap pops right out. I can dig some of the artistic choices, including their infrastructure being kind rag-tag, but so much was just plain stupid that it broke suspension of disbelief at every turn.
I had a similar reaction. I can sit along for the ride for a while, but eventually you want to yell at the screen.
Also from the other perspective, if you're the machines, don't you just gas or flood the whole underground structure? No need for an invasion, really. .

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Ahh, been wanting to watch this one for a couple of years now. I've heard it's pretty amazing and your review seems to confirm this. I'll have to track it down.

KT

ok man, it's time you suck it up and just move to the US so you can stream netflix :p

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
ok man, it's time you suck it up and just move to the US so you can stream netflix :p

Heh, if I could find equivalent pay & benefits in Seattle, Portland, or even better San Francisco, I would move in a heartbeat.

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
you know, about Let the Right One In - a lot of people say they liked it but no one ever gives a reason why. I cannot figure out 1 reason to like it. Barring Will Ferrell movies, I can't think of any movie I disliked more than this one.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Watched a couple of movies last night.

First, The Mechanic
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472399/

Typical Jason Statham movie. Lots of fighting, shootem-up, bang-bang stuff, but too many "plot holes" and "coincidences" for it to really work.
4/10

Defiance
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034303/

This one wasn't TOO bad. While it's based on a true story, there was a lot of "artistic license" used in creating characters and the story line.
Still...not a bad movie. Lots of gun play, plenty of Nazi's and Nazi collaborators killed...some with plenty of gore.
6.5/10

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Trailer Park Boys.
tumblr_lcctb0ETVx1qf263oo1_500.jpg

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Barbarella - Other than the incredibly sexy young Jane Fonda nude and in various hot outfits, this movie was bad, lol. Maybe in 1968 it was awesome, but it does NOT hold up well...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Barbarella - Other than the incredibly sexy young Jane Fonda nude and in various hot outfits, this movie was bad, lol. Maybe in 1968 it was awesome, but it does NOT hold up well...

I asked my dad about that.
He said the only reason people watched it was because of Jane Fonda. And after the novelty wore off people pretty much forgot about it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

It wasn't even considered a "good movie" back when it was first released...but young Jane Fonda was quite a draw back then...BUT, that was before her "Hanoi Jane" days.
Count me as one of the many who still wishes she'd get hit by a bus for her traitorous actions.
http://www.1stcavmedic.com/jane_fonda.htm

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Santa Sangre
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098253/
8.5/10

This movie was fucking weird. It was also awesome. Overall, way better than most "horror" movies. Great story, great execution, not the best cinematography, however, that only dings a point or so IMO. Completely unique, not like anything I've ever seen before.

Rubber
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/

5/10
This was hard for me to judge. One the one hand, it's a simple slasher movie, on the other hand, it's a movie within a movie, and on the other hand it's mocking movies for taking themselves to seriously. So, essentially, this movie is so absurd that it requires 3 hands.

I am usually OK with long and slow paced movies. I love stuff like Red Beard which goes on for 3 hours and has 1 action sequence, but this movie simply was not enough content for the length of time it lasted. The style was very good, great shots, good sound.... For a movie "all about style" it's good, but substance is important, very important.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Double Life of Veronique - 7.5/10: Krzysztof Kieslowski's early 90's film following the lives of two young women who are essentially the same person. There is not really much of structured plot here, but the way he shoots the different lives of the girls and strings certain things together is fantastic. The lead actress Irene Jacob is gorgeous and watching her deal with these two diifferent lives, but with through lines that connect both was quite spectacular. I guess my biggest problem is at the end of the movie I was not entirely sure what had happened or even why; it did look stunning in pretty much every shot, so I enjoyed the ride, I just felt a bit empty at the end of it all.

Robin Hood - 6.5/10: This is Ridley's version from 2010 and overall I liked it; the opening 30 minutes or so were very good and I was beginning to wonder what people were crapping on, but about half way through I started to feel it. First off the thing was way too damn long, they needed to trim about 30 minutes and tighten things up. I also did not really buy the relationship between Crowe and Blanchett; it felt forced to me, and in a way it was, but they never felt good together and I absolutely hated the part near the end
where Marion came to the beach to fight and the whole climax of that, which I found absurd
. It was fun in several parts so I did not hate the movie, it just felt cumbersome and even silly in too many parts to make it great.

Red - 8/10: Maybe there is something wrong with me, but damn, I actually found this to be a lot of fun. Brice Willis holds the show, but I also enjoyed pretty much every other part of the cast. The story itself is pretty absurd, but I got past the absurdity and enjoyed the fun action flick this was. It did not drag too much, even though it was two hours long, and while I did not find it hilarious, I did laugh in a few spots. I could have just been in a good mood last night, but this flick was just plain fun as far as I'm concerned.

Watched some TV recently too:

Deadwood (season 1) - 9.5/10: It did take an episode or so to take hold of me, but once it did, wow, what an awesome show. I'm generally not big on westerns, but this is done so well, with so many great characters, I could not help but be sucked in by it. Ian McShane is freaking awesome, as is Timothy Olyphant, and the two of them together is mind-blowing. I like that the show is just balls out with respect to violence, sursing, sex, and everything else, which how I would have imagined things being back in those days. The dialogue is fantastic and even sets are great; everything feels dirty and rough. I'm now attached to the characters and can't wait to watch season 2. It actually got a bit dusty at my place in a couple of spots, one in-particular
when the reverend walks into Seth and Sol's store and is not really sure they are his friends or not
was one of the most touching thigns I've seen on TV in a while. Awesome show.

Game of Thrones (season 1) - 10/10: It's very difficult for me to find a single flaw in this show; the writing, acting, set design, are all nearly flawless. This is truly a stunning show; I was hooked from minute one when they showed the rangers in the woods scouting for wildlings and proceeded to watch every episode in the next two days when I was not at work. All of the actors are great, but Peter Dinklage has to be my favourite; he plays such a great, complex character and ends up in many of the most exciting, or fun, situations, but is also able to deliver great lines of dialogue in more intimate moments (he does seem to get a lot of great lines). There are characters I love and characters I hate (Joffrey is probably the one I hate most and I'm sure that's by design) and all of them seem to get a decent amount of service, so they become real characters. The only thing that makes me angry is that I have to wait almost a year for the next season; can't freaking wait.

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Red - 8/10: Maybe there is something wrong with me, but damn, I actually found this to be a lot of fun. Brice Willis holds the show, but I also enjoyed pretty much every other part of the cast. The story itself is pretty absurd, but I got past the absurdity and enjoyed the fun action flick this was. It did not drag too much, even though it was two hours long, and while I did not find it hilarious, I did laugh in a few spots. I could have just been in a good mood last night, but this flick was just plain fun as far as I'm concerned.

Loved this one too.. I just can't seem to get enough of John Malkovic. The casting made this movie work.

Also, is this your first 10/10? :hmm:

Pervert! 4/10

I was really in the mood yesterday for some campy fun.. and stumbled onto this on Netflix. I actually LOL'd a few times.. especially at the end. Lots of T&A.. and the girls are good looking(If you are into chubby girls). It could have been a really funny movie, but the director heavy handedness shows. The editing is horrible; one of the worst I have ever seen, and the movie runs for too long.. 25 minutes short.. and it would be a little bit more bearable. That said; the last 15 minutes are LOL worthy.. and the story manages an interesting twist at the end. Watch it if you like T&A and have nothing else to do.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I realize I'm years behind on it but my wife and I have been watching The Office (USA) from the start and man is it funny (most of the time).

We're a few episodes into season 4 now.

Just one of those shows that neither one of use ever followed but both always found it pretty funny when we'd catch a rerun.

Wishing we'd of started with it sooner.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Loved this one too.. I just can't seem to get enough of John Malkovic. The casting made this movie work.

That scene near the end when
Malkovich starts running toward the VP with the bomb on his chest
had me howling . :D

Good question. I'm sure there are films I watched before starting this thread that were 10/10 which I never bothered to add in here (I rarely add re-watches). I'll have to muddle through at some point and see. :hmm:

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I realize I'm years behind on it but my wife and I have been watching The Office (USA) from the start and man is it funny (most of the time).

We're a few episodes into season 4 now.

Just one of those shows that neither one of use ever followed but both always found it pretty funny when we'd catch a rerun.

Wishing we'd of started with it sooner.

I found the first season and a half to be painfully unfunny, but part way through season 2 it really came into its own and turned into a very good, funny show until about season 6 maybe? :hmm:

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Pervert! 4/10

I was really in the mood yesterday for some campy fun.. and stumbled onto this on Netflix. I actually LOL'd a few times.. especially at the end. Lots of T&A.. and the girls are good looking(If you are into chubby girls). It could have been a really funny movie, but the director heavy handedness shows. The editing is horrible; one of the worst I have ever seen, and the movie runs for too long.. 25 minutes short.. and it would be a little bit more bearable. That said; the last 15 minutes are LOL worthy.. and the story manages an interesting twist at the end. Watch it if you like T&A and have nothing else to do.

Pervert had the potential to be a lot more fun, ala Big Bad Mama, too bad they wasted their time with the bullshit horror ending.
At least you can see Mary Carey in other "films"

Also, was it DVD or streaming? Cuz on the DVD theres a cut scene that will blow your freakin mind!

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Horrible Bosses - 8.75/10: The great thing about this movie is that not only is it funny, but the plot isn't an afterthought. It's not funny in spite of the plot, it's funny because of it. Good mainstream comedies IMO these days are rare, but this is one of em.

Colin Farrell is piss-your-pants funny, as are the 3 protagonists from 3 of my favorite shows of recent memory: Jason Sudeikis from SNL, Charlie Day from It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia, and Jason Bateman from Arrested Development. Kevin Spacey is also awesomely detestable here. All around the cast is top notch. Jamie Foxx is also fantastic as Motherfucker Jones. Yes his name is Motherfucker.

My only complaint - and it's a small one - is Jennifer Anniston. Her character is just too unbelievable. It's funny as hell, but it's cause for a tiny bit of eyerolling. Yeah sure Jennifer Anniston is so hard up for dick she goes after just about anyone...right.

Overall this was a really funny movie.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
My only complaint - and it's a small one - is Jennifer Anniston. Her character is just too unbelievable. It's funny as hell, but it's cause for a tiny bit of eyerolling. Yeah sure Jennifer Anniston is so hard up for dick she goes after just about anyone...right.

I haven't seen it, but plan to when it comes out on DVD, but seeing the previews this is what struck me. I think the Aniston role has been miscast...wouldn't you want an undesirable woman in that role? it's just not believable that she would be hard up for it...or the average joe would reject her.

Status
Not open for further replies.