NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 978 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
anybody watch Tar? I've been wanting to see it since it was only purchasable for $20, and wasn't gonna do that - now that it is rentable, thinking of watching it this weekend on date night. Reviews are solid, critic and audience.

Have not watched it but on the very short list to knock out (I like to get through all the Oscar nominees before the awards).

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's a very artsy movie and it's the amazing Cate Blanchett mumbling stuff that just went over my head. If you understand the language of artists, sure, watch it and I think you will enjoy it and learn something new about their creative thinking and processes. I wasn't able to force myself to watch it beyond 30 minutes. Haven't had the will to finish it yet. For a date night? I think you will end up boring your date. You should watch M3GAN instead. There are pretty good scenes in it that will appeal to the motherly side of women.

Brother, do you live in a very socially conservative country or area? You gotta modernize your views on women if you want to get a modern woman. Why do you assume women can't handle an artsy creative film, with a woman as the lead? We spent three hours at the MOMA together the other week, she loves art and interpreting it. She is a highly successful partner at a law firm about to become an equity partner and already makes over 200K a year in a really tough business completely dominated by men (she deals with a lot of developers), so is quite bright and driven. She never had kids and since her late thirties decided that was it for her, no interest in making new ones. Women are not just about being appealed to via their motherly instinct, just an FYI.

Jul 27, 2020
Why do you assume women can't handle an artsy creative film, with a woman as the lead?
Well, I assume most women won't be interested in anything more than chick flicks (box office results seem to agree with that). But yeah, she will probably respond to Tar better than most women coz she's sophisticated, the extent of which I was not aware of until you informed me.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Women vote with their dollars. (So do men but we aren't talking about men)

If box office returns are ANY indication, women vastly prefer dumbass rom-coms over everything else. By a wide margin.
For that matter men prefer dumbass rom-coms.
Theres just not many people of any group spending big bucks on those female dramas and arthouse crap.

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Well, I assume most women won't be interested in anything more than chick flicks (box office results seem to agree with that). But yeah, she will probably respond to Tar better than most women coz she's sophisticated, the extent of which I was not aware of until you informed me.

Where do you live?

Living in any major metropolitan area in the US and Europe you will find many many many women who are quite 'sophisticated' ratio wise. They are still outside of metro areas, but just ratio wise, far more common in metro areas. So I'm curious, where do you live? I'm trying to relate to how you see women vs how I do from my upbringing and wonder if geography has anything to do with it.

I've been to museums with like 8 different women in two years of dating since Covid. Only one was kind of stupid about talking about art, and that had nothing to do with her gender.

Women vote with their dollars. (So do men but we aren't talking about men)

If box office returns are ANY indication, women vastly prefer dumbass rom-coms over everything else. By a wide margin.
For that matter men prefer dumbass rom-coms.
Theres just not many people of any group spending big bucks on those female dramas and arthouse crap.

Maybe I just date different women. Sure once in a while we might watch a rom com, but that's a small part of my experience with women. We watch all kinds of movies from Indie to blockbuster to drama to comedy and here and there a rom com. And one that I am onboard with too. I love drama movies and am far more selective these days of blockbusters, as most suck - which is why Maverick was so much fun to watch. Great blockbuster.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You are looking for substance and intelligence in women so you tend to find women like that. The type of women you like, usually don't like me :)
I think they would, just change some of the ways you think about women that were ingrained into you by society and you'll be surprised.

Jul 27, 2020
I wasn't able to force myself to watch it beyond 30 minutes.
OK, I finished watching Tar (had nothing better to watch).

Man, what the heck? I thought this was inspired from a true story (the film's description is deceptive. First ever female conductor my sweaty butt! That made it sound like she exists in the real world).

The orchestral sequences were great. I wish there were more of them.

The rest was just this broken confused lonely woman, falling for a young girl and then being accused of inappropriate behavior. She sort of gets punished in the end by having to go work in Thailand (at least, I think it was Thailand).

I would give it 5/10 (no, Cate couldn't save this movie for me).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You People

Big fat "meh". It didn't know what it wanted to be. It wasn't sure if it wanted to be a comedy or be a serious movie. And then the whole racial stuff is completely overdone and over the top, and there is no way in hell that kind of stuff would happen in Los Angeles of all places, a super diverse place.

It definitely "felt" like a Netflix movie in the quality of it. Pretty much every movie straight to Netflix feels a bit bootleg. This movie definitely did, even though it had a great cast.

Acting in the movie however was A++. It was very well done.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Black Panther : Wakanda Forever 5/10 Unfortunately we lost Chadwick Boseman. They just couldn't quite pull it off without him.

Jul 27, 2020

Starts out pretty ridiculously and for the next half hour, I'm like, where the heck is this going???

And then it gets better. And better.

And better.

At the end of an almost exhausting 3 hours, I was surprised to see that my score for the movie matched the current one on IMDB: 7.5/10

I feel it's a "Made for DigDog" movie.

Reactions: DigDog

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Knives Out 7/10
It's a murder mystery that was slow to get going. When it finally does move, it's quite a ride. Now I'm ready for Glass Onion.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched a film known to be extremely bad, but found it .. just kinda bad?

Movie 43 - Movie 43 - Wikipedia

I'll like the Wikipedia article because it will give you a better idea of what this film is. Essentially, imagine a reboot of Kentucky Fried Movie or Amazon Women On The Moon. But not as good.
Unrelated sketches filled with puerile homour and really bad script subjects, such as:
Hugh Jackman is on a date, but he has chinballitis. Yes, he has his balls on his chin.
Fat Chris Pratt shows his love to his girlfriend by having explosive diarrhea.
Halle Berry is on a blind date, winds up with huge fake tits.
Richard Gere is Steve Jobs, baffled by his customers sticking their dicks in his newest iPod, which is in the shape of a nude woman.

The list of serious actors who have agreed to humiliate themselves by participating in this film is staggering, Naomi Watts, Emma Stonel, Kate Bosworth, Kate Winslett, Kristen Bell, Chloe Moretz, Gerald Butler, etc.

I have to admit that a few things were funny, but the film is badly paced, takes itself too seriously, and is too long just to deliver a few jokes. KFM or AWOTM do it better.
Even SNL sketches are tighter than this.

6/10 - because wow, this thing exists.

• Haha

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Midnight Mass - Midnight Mass (TV Mini Series 2021) - Reference View - IMDb

Meh.
Pretty standard Christianity-tropes-based miniseries. A priest who is a re..
ermmm.. ok so the series baits you with a wrong protagonist. You think it's about A, but then A is taken out of the story and B is revealed to be the real protagonist.
So MM is the story of a priest who is reeeeally dumb. Many years prior he was attacked by a IRL vampiric demon, but being an absolute cretin, he mistakes it for an angel. You know, your typical red-skinned, fanged and clawed, scaly-winged angel.
And he takes this "angel" to a smalltown congregation where he gets people to zombify themselves in a remake of the guyana cult suicides. Then within half an episode all the new zombified burn info flames, etc.

Idk, nothing wrong with the series if not that it should have been a 2 hour film, NOT a six hour series.

6/10 - maybe better with some aggressive editing.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I guess cop shows never really get old, only the presentation. "Will Trent" is a new one that's actually pretty good. Still in the first season so I'll use that as an excuse to not rate it. But they make up for another entry in this well populated genre with some interesting perspectives good character development.

Status
Not open for further replies.