NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 970 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
you see a poster in your house of Tammy and the T-Rex. Your house is your main hub, in the game. And, at one point, this film then starts playing on the TV in your living room .. and it's a real movie. Yes, it's a movie that exists IRL, starring none other than Denise "Starship Boobies" Richards.
Now, despite what Wikipedia may say, it's not the whole film, it's only about half hour, so no rating from me. Mostly because there's a scene at the end of the film where Richards does a strip-tease, and that would account for at least half of the vote.
Love Tammy and the T-Rex. It is definitely peak B-Cinema. I actually have the Blu-ray.

Jul 27, 2020
Mindcage 6.5/10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14147224/

People seem to dislike it coz it pretends to be a Silence of the Lambs clone but the ending has an interesting plot twist. 0.5 of the score belongs to the actress. 1 for John Malkovich so yes, without them, the movie would be 5.

Prey for the devil 6/10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9271672/

Not much love for this movie as well. It's OK. Typical exorcism movie with not bad visual effects.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The "Jack Ryan" miniseries.

7.5/10 Reasonably-entertaining hokum. Kept reminding me of other similar shows/movies, e.g "The Old Man".

Why are tough guy action heroes always called "Jack", by the way?

Jack Ryan, Jack Baeur, Jack Reacher...

Is it because they are all jacked?

(Also, I kept expecting Krasinski's Ryan to have a meeting with his boss, CIA chief Michael Scott, and to taunt fellow agent Dwight by encasing his gun in jell-o)

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Why would I do that

I'll probably watch it tonight. I still have yet to see Seven Psychopaths. Next week for that. Three Billboards was a good yarn too.
7 Psycho was .. okaish.
3 Billboards was really good.
I have Banshees but i am saving it for a day where i dont have any anxiety killing me.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
7 Psycho was .. okaish.
3 Billboards was really good.
I have Banshees but i am saving it for a day where i dont have any anxiety killing me.
Just went to pour a drink.

I have about fifteen minutes left and it's really gone in a direction I did not expect.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Banshees. Fascinating movie. Excellent acting. Beautiful setting and cinematography.

It can mean a lot of things and it's a lot to process because of that.

It's on HBO max as well as rentable

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Glass Onion 7/10

I liked the original much better.

The beginning and middle of the Glass Onion was good.
but the ending was meh.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
FWIW Amazon Prime video has the $1.99 a month for a couple of month for certain channels. I added Paramount Plus so I could watch "Top Gun Maverick". I thought I would mention it since some of you have some down time this weekend.

I watched Emily the Criminal last night. It was decent. I loved the brief but brilliant intern scene.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I
Glass Onion 7/10

I liked the original much better.

The beginning and middle of the Glass Onion was good.
but the ending was meh.

I agree. Sort of how Kate Hudson looked good in the beginning of the flick and looked worse and worse as it went on.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I agree. Sort of how Kate Hudson looked good in the beginning of the flick and looked worse and worse as it went on.
That was Kate Hudson?
Never would have guessed.

And I think her looking worse as the film went on was on purpose

Edit:
Netflix paid $469m for the rights to 2 sequels??? :eek:
Plus production costs (this film $40 million budget).

• Wow

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Coffee & Cigarettes - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379217/reference/

Art film by Jim Jaramush, no plot, just several vignettes of various characters having conversations over coffee and cigarettes. A laundry list of actors & celebrities: Benigni, Buscemi, Steve Coogan, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, Cate Blanchett, GZA, Bill Murray ..

Tbh, not great. It's exactly what you think it is, not any better.

5.5/10 for everyone except the most self-loathing wannabe art critic for whom it's probably 11/10 or something.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The "Jack Ryan" miniseries.

7.5/10 Reasonably-entertaining hokum. Kept reminding me of other similar shows/movies, e.g "The Old Man".

Why are tough guy action heroes always called "Jack", by the way?

Jack Ryan, Jack Baeur, Jack Reacher...

Is it because they are all jacked?

(Also, I kept expecting Krasinski's Ryan to have a meeting with his boss, CIA chief Michael Scott, and to taunt fellow agent Dwight by encasing his gun in jell-o)
Well, at least they didn't completely wreck season 3 like they did at the end of season 2. Ryan was too much of a superhuman spec ops guy for me liking.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Spirited: 8.5/10

Better singing than expected from Will and Ryan. Decent take on the premise and some pretty good choreography. Pleasantly surprised

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm 1 hour 19 minutes into glass onion. This is not a spoiler as I'm just guessing.

Andi is actually her 'twin sister'?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Violent Night 6/10

1672017399630.png

Mercenaries trying to get into a rich old lady's underground vault with 9figures cash. (ala Die Hard)
They kill her security team.
Santa just happens to be there delivering presents.
Machine gun fire scare off his reindeer so he's stuck there.

In the beginning, there's some sense of realism in that the mercs seem competent.
Then small errors like the mercs carry machine guns with the safety on?!
Then they have to ratchet their machine gun to load a bullet into the chamber?!?!?!?! (Which of course gives Santa just enough time to get within arms reach and take him out.)

Then it gets silly. Mercs with machine guns enter a big storage shed and they run towards Santa instead of spraying him with bullets from a distance.
It's as if the mercs turned into comedy relief.

As to how Santa does some of his stuff, he says he doesnt know himself.
It's 'Christmas Magic'. How convenient.

And before he became Santa over 1000 years ago, he was a killing machine ransacking villages.
So that explains his ability to fight hand to hand and kill without remorse.
But they dont explain how he went from Berserker to Santa.

• Haha
Reactions: IronWing
Status
Not open for further replies.