NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 968 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i also watched Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488589/reference/

did you know there is also another Pinocchio released 2022 ?? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4593060/reference/
from Robert Zemekis no less.

Anyway, this one that i watched is an animation, and it's very loosely based on the original story. Mind you, the "original story" is a book, but the 1940 Disney classic is very faithful to the original story. Pinocchio is so full of social meaning that even Jordan Peterson talks about it, in fact at length, during his 30+hour Maps Of Meaning lectures (worthy of watching of themselves).

Instead GDTP is very barebones. It contains a fraction of the plot and characters of the original film, and also adds Il Duce, meaning the story happens during the backdrop of the fascist years in Italy.
The amination strongly resembles that used in Isle Of Dogs - heavy caricatures for all humans - but is less experimental.
The dialogue was allright, the direction etc were allright, voice talent ok, it would have been good for not the fact that, it's very little content. It's a very, VERY basic script, where pinocchio comes to life, and starts interacting with normal people more than with the fantastic characters of the original story. And he quickly realizes he's immortal - he's killed and brought back to life by a cosmic entity - and basically becomes a kind of dumb superhero. Finally in the end pinocchio does a 180 and sacrifices himself thus becoming "a real boy".

And, you know, a similar path exists in the original book, but this version is extremely simplified. Also gone are the various moral dilemmas that are at the core of the pinocchio fable, which, in the end, is just an educational tool for young boys.

i wouldn't really recommend this, it is a decently done animation, but really lacks depth.

6/10 but you will probably rate it lower.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I watched this yesterday, as I couldn’t watch the Vikings. You weren’t kidding when you said it was mindless. I’m sure my iq dropped watching it. 4/10

I mean most action flicks are pretty mindless. I don't go into pure action flicks expecting deep thoughts, but this was one of the more fun mindless action movies actually.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Clerks 3 - 6/10

It was fan service and a bit too Kevin Smith meta, but it wrapped up the series nicely. Not bad, but not something I'm going to rewatch a bunch of times.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The only really good Pirates of the Caribbean movie was the first one IMO.

Yeah, I think I saw some of the sequels on DVD, and they all blur into one in my memory. Incoherent and rambling, as I recall - just meandered on and on with no sense or logic to them (and Johnny Depp becoming increasingly a parody of himself - much as in real life).

Reactions: Muse and Captante

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yeah, I think I saw some of the sequels on DVD, and they all blur into one in my memory. Incoherent and rambling, as I recall - just meandered on and on with no sense or logic to them (and Johnny Depp becoming increasingly a parody of himself - much as in real life).
I've been waiting through two movies waiting for Depp's character to develop into something and it never happens.

Jul 27, 2020
I've been waiting through two movies waiting for Depp's character to develop into something and it never happens.
He said during the trial that Disney executives were annoyed when he refused to be the character the way it was written and added his own personal touch and mannerisms to it. Disney doesn't like it when the actors tell them how things should be done. They could create a billion dollar franchise if they focused on just the exploits of Captain Jack Sparrow but then Depp would have them by the balls.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
He said during the trial that Disney executives were annoyed when he refused to be the character the way it was written and added his own personal touch and mannerisms to it. Disney doesn't like it when the actors tell them how things should be done. They could create a billion dollar franchise if they focused on just the exploits of Captain Jack Sparrow but then Depp would have them by the balls.

Why would they want a billion dollar franchise when the way they did it got them a 4.5 billion dollar franchise.

Box office: Total (5 films): $4.524 billion

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Saw the new top gun because why not, another mindless action flick.

This made my 65" tv feel small, which was sad.

Also they had a female fighter pilot, and a nerdy as hell weapons engineer. And they made it onto the strike team! I hate when they check those boxes like that. No woman could handle combat like that.

So the movie sucked. Woke bullshit.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Princess Bride (1987) 9.5/10

Must see movie. This is the 4th time I see this (I have the DVD):

12/15/2022
05/15/2014
06/24/2007
01/26/2006

Andre the Giant is an interesting character, as a person. Look him up, he had quite a great time in life once he was "discovered."

One of a kind movie. I got this because it's on so many of those lists people make of movies they can watch over and over again. I've collected a lot of those although I'm not a person who watches a movie endless times (many people are!!!).

This really is worth rewatching for the things you missed before, I think. It is quite funny, made me laugh today! ;)

Jul 27, 2020
Phantom of the Open 6/10

Man, they really fooled me with this one. I kept thinking halfway through that the guy would win the Open!

Interesting concept, though. Being awful at something can inspire others to try and find out if they are better than you. Very not intuitive.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 13-58-16 Avatar The Way of Water (2022).png
8/10. Amazing 3D action/sci-fi, a lot of CGI which was nicely done. Worth watching again.

Short moments on each of Jakes Sully's kids adventures after they are forced to exile his family, being hunted by an old nemesis out for revenge. More creatures under water, new characters to meet. And marines who peviously died who's memories are now on Na'vi "recombinants".

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
View attachment 72968
8/10. Amazing 3D action/sci-fi, a lot of CGI which was nicely done. Worth watching again.

Short moments on each of Jakes Sully's kids adventures after they are forced to exile his family, being hunted by an old nemesis out for revenge. More creatures under water, new characters to meet. And marines who peviously died who's memories are now on Na'vi "recombinants".
this the loooooooooooooooooooooooooong awaited sequel?

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
How did you miss the poster right before your post?
poster looks like a animated movie like final fantasy.

there's no real people in the poster.
in the 1st avatar, there's real people along side the blue people

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Henry Cavill won't be returning to 'The Witcher' despite losing 'Superman' role:

cool.. Liam Hemsworth is now the new Witcher!
wait..no.. he's not the guy that plays Thor.
Thor is Chris Hemsworth.
Liam is his brother.

never heard of him.
the only Liam i know is that Jedi dude and from the Taken triology among other big movies.

Thor would have been a good replacement for Superman as Witcher.
darn...

As for Superman the movie:
Cavill quit Witcher to concentrate on reviving the Superman franchise after he made a cameo in the Black Adam movie.

then all of a sudden:
Director and writer James Gunn, who joined DC Studios as co-chair with Peter Safran in October, confirmed plans to write a new Superman movie that would focus on a younger version of the superhero.

so back to a superman when he was working on Pa Kent's farm?

as for Cavill, after getting the rug pulled from under him for superman, he didnt want to un-quit his Witcher role. :eek:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Director and writer James Gunn, who joined DC Studios as co-chair with Peter Safran in October, confirmed plans to write a new Superman movie that would focus on a younger version of the superhero.
Him writing a serious movie? Not gonna hold my breath. He will turn Superman into some bumbling kid trying to come to terms with his super strength.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Henry Cavill won't be returning to 'The Witcher' despite losing 'Superman' role:
Disappointed when I read that, but this thread is for movies, etc already shown/streamed/released that you've watched.... not some unreleased or never to be made movies, etc. :rolleyes:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
poster looks like a animated movie like final fantasy.

there's no real people in the poster.
in the 1st avatar, there's real people along side the blue people
It looks like an animated movie, because that's what 95% of the first film was. It had some real people, but most of it was animated.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
A Story from Chikamatsu

Classic Japanese film, beautiful cinematography, depressing story from every aspect. 7/10 I deducted three points for as I don’t watch movies to get depressed.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
A Story from Chikamatsu

Classic Japanese film, beautiful cinematography, depressing story from every aspect. 7/10 I deducted three points for as I don’t watch movies to get depressed.
the previous title is "The Crucified Lovers", which should give you an idea of what the film's like.
I haven't seen this, but i share the sentiment - i dont like to get even more depressed. Les Miserables can be as awesome as you want, i ain't paying to cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.