NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 965 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Barbarian - 8.5/10

A roller coaster of a horror flic with some new twists and some very unexpected revelations...
DO NOT watch the trailer or read a review - will completely spoil the joy of this movie.
I refuse to watch a trailer before seeing a movie.

There's always a conflict in determining if I want to see a movie and not wanting to know more than I should going in. Trailers are a no no.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Let me see if i can help you here.

First off, Bobvids and CinemaSins are two different things. I say this because, it turns out, this isn't immediately evident to everyone i recommended this video to.

CinemaSins started many many years ago on YT where they picked apart at the stupid things that populate many mediocre hollywood films, and, for a very brief time .. eeehh ... let's say, the first 7 videos they made .. they were good. They brought reasonable annoyances that a professional filmmaker should be aware of and easily avoid in their job.

Then, they got the M0n$y and they just started rambling, and rapidly switches sides from being the good guys to being junk content creators, just like the films they once criticized.

Bobvids .. kinda got into a small feud with them. Given that, by that time CinemaSins were practically garbage, it wasn't too hard to cut them down to size, but CS still have a lot of fans on YT, mostly kids who think CS are geniuses.

So, if horror isn't your thing - it's not *my* thing either, i've been trying to point out the style isn't relevant to this video, because all will be explained - then Bobvids have done the same thing with a completely different style.

I found the video about TCITW to be more relevant to me, because i too did not understand it at all, but at the same time i was passing judgment. You know, maybe this is my mea culpa.
I did realize that that video was different from Cinema Sins and that they were taking CS to task, your comments above made that clear. It's all new to me. But I have an inner critic that pops up sometimes watching some movies. I have hit the eject button early on many movies. Sometimes I get an itchy finger but desist.

I have watched a lot of movies, have a bunch unseen in my collection actually that are begging to be seen, some very highly rated. I don't always feel like seeing movies, I kind of go in spurts sometimes. So many things I want to do!

There are many movies I rewatch because they deserve it. It's a thing. Many people rewatch certain movies and never tire of them. I figure I could maybe be among them but I don't think there's more than one movie I've watched double digits and that just barely.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Really enjoyed White Lotus season 2 episode 5. The stage has been set and now the parts are starting to move. It's going so well I find it hard to think the ending will live up to it but it could also be just perfect.

I think I'll start watching the intro for the music three times before each episode. It's gorgeous.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I rewatched Back to the Future. 10/10
who would have thought that movie actually foretold the future.
cubs winning world series and trump Pres.

What else is in that Nostradamus movie that will come true?

Reactions: pmv

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I refuse to watch a trailer before seeing a movie.

There's always a conflict in determining if I want to see a movie and not wanting to know more than I should going in. Trailers are a no no.
Don't watch Barbarian period. It's so bad.

Reactions: Muse

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Don't watch Barbarian period. It's so bad.
noo, no no. no.
Do watch Barbarian. Watch it. Watch anything.
Anything but How Do You Know Chris - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8355036/reviews?ref_=tttr_ql_op_3

talk about a film being bad.

Chris meets a girl in a laundromat and invites her to a house party at his Australian flat.
The girl shows up and there's only a handful of people, clearly mismatched. There's the old suit-wearing company director, the no-legs-lieutenant-dan lifted right out of Gump, the young goth slut who does drugs, and they try but fail to make friends.
But Chris is not there. And neither is Frankie, his roommate. Yes because these people at the party, some are friends of Chris, some are friends of Frankie.

Anyway, there's some tension in the party (because of the aforementioned mismatched-ness), but nothing that doesn't happen in any decent party.
Eventually Chris shows up and so does Frankie and OMFGBBQHOLDMYLAWNMOWER Frankie and Chris are THE SAME PERSON !! CANYOUBELIEVEIT ?

Yes ok after that cataclysmic reveal that nobody cares about, Chris also has both gay and straight sex so, i guess that's a plot. Mind you, there is no "i have led a double life" scene, because even this "reveal" is marginal. You are in the lamest fucking party ever thrown in a Melbourne house, and you watch uninteresting characters having awkward uninteresting conversations. You learn 1 useless factoid about a person who you have not met and you care zero about.

Compared to this, Eyes Wide Shut has a complex plot.

5/10 because the acting was good, but you. cannot. have. a film. without. a plot.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Compared to this, Eyes Wide Shut has a complex plot.

5/10 because the acting was good, but you. cannot. have. a film. without. a plot.
Some quite successful movies have no plot. Koyanisqatsi trilogy, for instance. Knight of Cups (Terrence Mallick, 2016). The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015). The Station Agent (2003). Don't Look Now (1974). Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012). Lovely and Amazing (2002). Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987).

Eyes Wide Shut didn't work for me, Kubrick and female nudity notwithstanding. Showgirls nudity also didn't work for me, I expected more from Paul Verhoeven.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Koyanisqatsi trilogy, for instance. Knight of Cups (Terrence Mallick, 2016). The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015). The Station Agent (2003). Don't Look Now (1974). Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012). Lovely and Amazing (2002). Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987).

Eyes Wide Shut didn't work for me, Kubrick and female nudity notwithstanding. Showgirls nudity also didn't work for me, I expected more from Paul Verhoeven.
Of all those, i only know of the first, and then i didnt know it was a trilogy either.
H8 has a simplistic plot, but at least it's got strong confrontational scenes; a bad film by Tarantino is still a pretty good film. And, it's got 3 subplots (?) if i recall correctly.

.. i must be the only person who liked Showgirls. Remind me, is this the film that starts with the protagonist getting her suitcase stolen by a taxi driver? I should probably watch it again.
.. i mean .. Paul Verhoeven directed Starship Troopers who half of the audience see as a mockery of fascism, and half see as a praise of fascism.

If you want to spend time with a film that is about reflection and the meaning of life, but is also Australian, i would point you towards the clearly better Last Cab To Darwin instead.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
1899 (Netflix)

I've watched the first episode, and I think I'm hooked. At the very least I want to watch more. So far, this show seems like a period mishmash of Lost & Alien... it's atmospheric & creepy. I'll keep watching as long as I don't feel like it's going nowhere, kind of like Lost did.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Of all those, i only know of the first, and then i didnt know it was a trilogy either.
H8 has a simplistic plot, but at least it's got strong confrontational scenes; a bad film by Tarantino is still a pretty good film. And, it's got 3 subplots (?) if i recall correctly.

.. i must be the only person who liked Showgirls. Remind me, is this the film that starts with the protagonist getting her suitcase stolen by a taxi driver? I should probably watch it again.
.. i mean .. Paul Verhoeven directed Starship Troopers who half of the audience see as a mockery of fascism, and half see as a praise of fascism.

If you want to spend time with a film that is about reflection and the meaning of life, but is also Australian, i would point you towards the clearly better Last Cab To Darwin instead.
I didn't see Starship Troopers. The movie that put Verhoeven on my map of impression was Robocop. To me it's a triumph. But Showgirls didn't work for me. I saw it just once in 2010, 15 years after it was made in 1995. Robocop was 1987.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Severance - 7/10

I did like it and was totally engaged in the show but
by the end of the last episode I couldn't help but think that this is a show they are going to drag out far longer than is needed. Now granted I didn't really think they would wrap things up in one season, but I get the feeling they are going to just keep throwing in extra BS for the pure purpose of extending the show until they can't anymore and it ends on a dud. When next season gets released I am going check to see if the show ends for good on the last episode before I start. If it does not this is a quick bounce.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
^thats an awfully short review for Bullet Train. Come on man, you can do better.
I didn't see Starship Troopers. The movie that put Verhoeven on my map of impression was Robocop. To me it's a triumph. But Showgirls didn't work for me. I saw it just once in 2010, 15 years after it was made in 1995. Robocop was 1987.
I am going to talk about boobies. We love boobies. EVERYONE loves boobies.
Starship Troopers has boobies. As a matter of fact, it hasn't just got boobies, it's got gratuitous boobies, which is a special kind of boobies. Don't you think Paul Verhoeven knew what he was doing when he gave us that specific kind of boobies? He absolutely did.

See, in ST the boobies are meant as a reinforcement of the critique on fascism. The system is so overbearing that it even forces the characters to ignore their own human stimuli, .i.e seeing boobies in the shower.
i think Showgirls is the same way; it puts sex in your face and wants to force you to see past the sex to see the reality that these humans are facing.

Or maybe i'm talking shit because it's been 20 years since i've seen showgirls, so i guess i better download it and watch it again./

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ok well, then you must watch Starship Troopoers.
Not to see if you like it or not, but to see where you stand on the dartsdboard of love/hate for this film.

As a premise, ST is a book/.film about humanity in the future. And in this future you get to live happily and have babies and pay taxes except, that you don't get to vote. To vote, you must have served in the military, and both Heinlein and Vehrhoeven make it 100% clear that if you join the military, you will be gang-pressed into a shape that only recognizes military supremacy as its leader.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Starship Troopers has boobies.
As a matter of fact, it hasn't just got boobies, it's got gratuitous boobies, which is a special kind of boobies. Don't you think Paul Verhoeven knew what he was doing when he gave us that specific kind of boobies? He absolutely did.

See, in ST the boobies are meant as a reinforcement of the critique on fascism. The system is so overbearing that it even forces the characters to ignore their own human stimuli, .i.e seeing boobies in the shower.
i think Showgirls is the same way; it puts sex in your face and wants to force you to see past the sex to see the reality that these humans are facing.

Or maybe i'm talking shit because it's been 20 years since i've seen showgirls, so i guess i better download it and watch it again./
ahh yes charlie's sheen's future sex slave was in that movie

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The 1980s movie Can't Buy me Love 8/10

Good movie. Tons of 1980s references, because... its an 80s film. :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
^thats an awfully short review for Bullet Train. Come on man, you can do better.

Starship Troopers has boobies. As a matter of fact, it hasn't just got boobies, it's got gratuitous boobies, which is a special kind of boobies.
Don't you think Paul Verhoeven knew what he was doing when he gave us that specific kind of boobies? He absolutely did.

That's probably why I never saw it. I get the majority of my movies from my town's library and they don't have it, probably because gratuitous boobies. When I searched for it it wasn't there and since I was disappointed with Showgirls I didn't bother buying it. I don't subscribe to any streaming services. I had Prime for a year or so and cut that cord around last June.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Welcome to Chippendales, on HULU. Hulu original. Didn't expect much but surprised how well this was made. No, its not all about naked guys but more so about the inner workings of Chippendales and how the idea came about. I knew there would be scandal and corruption and back stabbing and there certainly was that. I was surprised and unaware of the roll that Dorothy Stratten and Paul Snider played in the development of Chippendales. That Paul Snider sure was a messed up dude, a real loser. It's a wonder just how far Dorothy Stratten's career may have gone if only she had never crossed paths with Paul Snider.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Glass Onion (2022)

IMO the first movie (Knives Out) is a classic that I'll happily watch many times in the future. It was unusually wholesome in a movie era that commonly revolves around grittiness or downright childish comic book plots, and it did unusual things within the genre of murder mysteries.

Glass Onion is entertaining. I didn't leave the cinema with the feeling of a wasted evening. But there were recurring themes (between the two films) and if I went to see a theoretical Knives Out 3 with those same themes, I'd think this is getting tired. It's a bit 'sequely' in that I think the maker(s) knew what made the original work and one should give the audiences what they want, which is often a retread of the original. At face value the plot is completely different to Knives Out, don't get me wrong.

I think the actor chosen as the antagonist could have been a bit stronger too (and/or their character had a bit more... character), because there are too many bystander characters in this, whereas 'Knives Out' had some heavy enough hitters as support actors/characters (e.g. Jamie Lee Curtis), maybe it's also easier for most audiences to relate to entitled family members.

So while there was no question that 'Knives Out' would end up in my film collection, there's a question about whether Glass Onion will. IMO there's no way on the planet that it deserves a higher IMDB rating than 'Knives Out'.

Dec 10, 2005
how much worse is this sequel than the original, if any?
I wouldn't really characterize it as "worse". It was certainly different, and had a different feel thanks to the presence of more stars, but overall a good film and worth seeing on the silver screen. (Plus, with AMC, you can get super discounted tickets on Tuesdays if you're part of their rewards program, so minimal cost outlay).

I guess it has a bit of the sequel feel, but it's not something minded, and in a world of Marvel movies and attempts at mega blockbusters, this sequel was a refreshing change.

Status
Not open for further replies.