NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 964 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I get made fun of a lot for saying this but a tablespoon of honey before bed will prevent that. The other option is eating a raw onion after dinner which I'm sure only the insane would want to do.
Never heard of those. Heard about warm milk (tryptophan). Also used to take melatonin. Now it's ambien or lunesta.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The taking of Pelham 123 (2009)

I'd class it as an action flick. I found it entertaining until the antagonist's motivation seemed to 180 from being a ruthless killer who's seriously after the money to uh... thoughts about God. IMO that element didn't make any sense.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Eagle Huntress - a simple story in a beautiful setting. Mongolian girl wants to become the first female eagle hunter. 7/10

Jul 27, 2020
Never heard of those. Heard about warm milk (tryptophan). Also used to take melatonin. Now it's ambien or lunesta.
Try it (honey has to be organic. Otherwise, onion will definitely work). The craziest thing about these two is when you wake up after about 7 hours of restful sleep, you will be taken aback by the loss of time, like you closed your eyes just a few minutes ago but the clock says 7 hours have elapsed. Also, you will feel super refreshed, with no desire to go back to sleep.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Watched Poltergeist (1982) last night. 8/10

Although the special effects are now outdated, I still find the movie creepy.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I get made fun of a lot for saying this but a tablespoon of honey before bed will prevent that. The other option is eating a raw onion after dinner which I'm sure only the insane would want to do.
Wives tales.

Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep by David K. Randall, is a book I own. He's a journalist who has/had a problem with sleepwalking, which prompted him to investigate and eventually write the book. Sleep has been very misunderstood like forever, but it's been investigated scientifically in recent times. There was (is?) an institutional approach at Stanford University starting a few decades ago. Randall among other insights, makes note of the fact that people do wake up during their sleep, it's natural, but usually people go back to sleep soon enough. The book dives deeper.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
i agree, and more.
I will once again repeat that i had my eyes opened by the brilliant youtube video which is called (pay attention to the title) "Everything Wrong With Everything Wrong With - The Cabin In The Woods".
No this is not a "Everything Wrong" video. As a matter of fact, it picks apart the ignorance of the people who crank out that garbage channel's content.

One of the points they contend is that, making stupid mistakes isn't just a common trope in horror films, it's necessary.

Awesome video below. If you are a fan of CinemaSins, you may want to look away.
First off I had never heard of Cinema Sins. I'm watching this and have the same problem I did the other day, they used software to speed up a lot of the vocals, which I find annoying. The idea seems something like "don't think about this because you don't have time to think about it," or else, "we know you're a busy person, we won't waste your time, that helps now, doesn't it?"

34 minutes of this??? Sheesh!

Really, I watched TCITW so long ago that nothing they're talking about resonates with me, it's as if I'd never seen it. I don't even recall right now if I watched it to the end. I just know I had a bad reaction, which I documented for my own edification because, well, it was a prominent release:

March, 2013

7.8/10 ... ah they're nuts

Saw last night. WTF, OK, that was intentional, but myself, I gotta think Joss Weedon has kind of lost it. No, he's not Aaron Sorkin. He did do the TV Serenity series, Firefly, and I liked that a lot. Not as much as West Wing, but that's a different thing entirely. To say TCITW is preposterous is too gross an understatement. Summed up, 5 college kids (yeah sexy, good looking, athletic more or less), go out to a cabin in the woods and it turns out it's under surveillance to put it mildly. Absurdly so, oh, well, why try to explain this, the explanations online do it fine I suppose. I wasn't really into it and the premise of evil demons from the ancient past needing to be appeased by sacrificial rituals is just too much for me to stomach. Get real!
- - - -
Well, my horror film IQ is low, so I don't get a lot of that stuff. Hey, I'm willing to accept that Joss Weedon likely knew what he was doing here and that it's terrific if you are well versed in the genre, so to speak.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Saw Source Code in 2011, here's my note to myself:

Jake Gyllenhaal in this. Sci fi, preposterous, but not without its appeal. It's kind of a Groundhog Day 30 years later for the digital age. Michelle Monahagn was just hot hot hot! I guess they told her to turn on the flirt and boy, did she! Phenomenal! Not sure how rewatchable it is, figure I can check it out again, didn't watch the extras yet, I am curious but I was right at the wall in terms of hitting the sack, completely!

Funny, I was coming here to post about Source Code-my thoughts were pretty much the same as yours (definitely re Micelle Monahagn) Overall I thought it was well worth watching (but the ending is contrived). Movie is currently on Amazon Prime.

Reactions: Muse

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Try it (honey has to be organic. Otherwise, onion will definitely work). The craziest thing about these two is when you wake up after about 7 hours of restful sleep, you will be taken aback by the loss of time, like you closed your eyes just a few minutes ago but the clock says 7 hours have elapsed. Also, you will feel super refreshed, with no desire to go back to sleep.

WTF is honey that is not organic?

Jul 27, 2020
WTF is honey that is not organic?

Honey that has gone through a high temperature and ultra-filtered process, removes all the pollen and beneficial enzymes that make honey a special and unique product.

That sort of honey that is commonly found in supermarkets, is not going to have any beneficial effect, other than being empty calories.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

That sort of honey that is commonly found in supermarkets, is not going to have any beneficial effect, other than being empty calories.
Fake honey is fake honey. Regular honey is organic. Also, humans can't digest pollen, so it has zero nutritional value.

Last edited:

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Barbarian - 8.5/10

A roller coaster of a horror flic with some new twists and some very unexpected revelations...
DO NOT watch the trailer or read a review - will completely spoil the joy of this movie.

Antlers - 6.5/10
A suspenseful horror take on the Native American Wendigo folklore. Much of the horror scenes were pretty over the top, acting and cinematography was solid, the film lacked in its character building trying a bit too hard to link every characters internal conflicts with each others and trying to make it wrap up all too tidy.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Ballistica.

Had hopes since it has Robert Davi. They were dashed.

Terrible acting. Terrible hand to hand. Terrible gun play. Terrible driving.

Chinese bad guys. Russian bad guys. American bad guys.

Budget only $1.4 mil. It looks it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
34 minutes of this??? Sheesh!

Let me see if i can help you here.

First off, Bobvids and CinemaSins are two different things. I say this because, it turns out, this isn't immediately evident to everyone i recommended this video to.

CinemaSins started many many years ago on YT where they picked apart at the stupid things that populate many mediocre hollywood films, and, for a very brief time .. eeehh ... let's say, the first 7 videos they made .. they were good. They brought reasonable annoyances that a professional filmmaker should be aware of and easily avoid in their job.

Then, they got the M0n$y and they just started rambling, and rapidly switches sides from being the good guys to being junk content creators, just like the films they once criticized.

Bobvids .. kinda got into a small feud with them. Given that, by that time CinemaSins were practically garbage, it wasn't too hard to cut them down to size, but CS still have a lot of fans on YT, mostly kids who think CS are geniuses.

So, if horror isn't your thing - it's not *my* thing either, i've been trying to point out the style isn't relevant to this video, because all will be explained - then Bobvids have done the same thing with a completely different style.

I found the video about TCITW to be more relevant to me, because i too did not understand it at all, but at the same time i was passing judgment. You know, maybe this is my mea culpa.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I make an effort to spend as little time as possible thinking about mediocre/dumb movies I didn't enjoy watching rather than allow them to keep them living rent-free in my head by watching YT rants from folks who never made a real movie in their lives.

;)

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Status
Not open for further replies.