NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 960 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Saw Wakanda Forever yesterday. 6/10

I've really enjoyed the Marvel movies. They're not cinematic masterpieces but they're and fun entertaining.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Trying to edit my post but the forum software doesn't like my phone and does weird stuff. Anyway, the movies really seem to have jumped the shark. Won't get into detail yet because spoilers but I noticed a disturbing trend. Also, the plot made no sense.

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Saw Wakanda Forever yesterday. 6/10

I've really enjoyed the Marvel movies. They're not cinematic masterpieces but they're and fun entertaining.
Entertaining and a disappointment. It's more of a tribute movie to Chadwick Boseman, whom Marvel chose not to recast for more of T'Challa.
They could have done it in later Black Panther movies, like they planned before he died.
As expected the MCU seriously changed a lot of things compared to the comics series and yes I'm aware that he died there too (several times).

https://www.yahoo.com/now/does-black-panther-die-wakanda-140423109.html (Spoilers in article)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why is Stephen Spielburg releasing this movie that he calls "the Fablemans"? and he claims is about himself and the movies, when it is actually a movie that was already called "Cinema Paradiso" and was released like, 35 years ago and is already quite famous and popular?

Why is this happening?

Jul 27, 2020
Black Adam
Visuals 8/10
Everything else Meh/10

They couldn't make me care about any of the characters. It was just a bland superhero movie.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Andor. Finally a Star wars series I can't wait for season 2. After a bunch of mostly dumb movies and some lackluster kiddy level fluff series, This is the good stuff.

I thought rogue One was the best newer Star wars movie and it's fitting that their best series happens to include the back story to one of its main characters as part of the series storyline, not to mention the entire backstory of the rebellion.

For some reason andor hasn't had the ratings as other series. Some people think the first couple episodes are slow so people stopped watching, and yeah they're actually building characters and backstory. And then the series knocks it out of the park.

We have become way too much of a wham bam thank you ma'am action addicted audience. There's plenty of action in this but at least has more context and depth to it for a Star wars story.

I think the people calling this their best series are the correct ones here. By a mile. It makes the mandalorian look like it was written by 10-year-olds. I couldn't even make it to any other Star wars series after the first season of that.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Bullet Train 6/10 contrite is the word that comes to mind. Very Guy Ritchie but not as funny.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Nobody 6.5/10
Pretty standard retired supreme badass comes out or retirement to kill everybody for reasons plot. Still fun and it is helped by Bob Odenkirk being the supreme badass and Christopher Lloyd also has a fun part in it. It is on HBOMax atm.

Wellington Paranormal ?/10
I've only watched 5 episodes so I don't want to rate yet but I think it might new time killer go to. It is cop mockumentary show from New Zealand where the cops are investing paranormal activities and play it straight. It is no Reno but fun enough. Also HBO Max

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Andor. Finally a Star wars series I can't wait for season 2. After a bunch of mostly dumb movies and some lackluster kiddy level fluff series, This is the good stuff.

I thought rogue One was the best newer Star wars movie and it's fitting that their best series happens to include the back story to one of its main characters as part of the series storyline, not to mention the entire backstory of the rebellion.

For some reason andor hasn't had the ratings as other series. Some people think the first couple episodes are slow so people stopped watching, and yeah they're actually building characters and backstory. And then the series knocks it out of the park.

We have become way too much of a wham bam thank you ma'am action addicted audience. There's plenty of action in this but at least has more context and depth to it for a Star wars story.

I think the people calling this their best series are the correct ones here. By a mile. It makes the mandalorian look like it was written by 10-year-olds. I couldn't even make it to any other Star wars series after the first season of that.

I'm nearly 50 years old and have been a SW nerd my entire life.
Andor is the SW I've been waiting for all these years and decades.

No blasters
No space battles
No Jedi
No Sith
Barely any fan service

The ISB is incredible and everything I wanted in "Imperial Evilness"
Who would have thought I'd be riveted by Imperial banking regulations

Sure the show is named "Andor" but the rest of the characters and story are so good there HUGE swaths of the episodes where he's not even involved and you don't even notice it.
Just pure great story telling.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Mortal Engines (i don't know/10)

I went into this movie with low expectations... and ended up kinda liking it. It's no masterpiece, but I was not underwhelmed... one might say I was adequately whelmed. The visuals are amazing. I was surprised, considering this is one of the great all-time cinematic bombs.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Forty years behind the times, I know, I got round to watching The Dark Crystal. The sets were amazing, the Mystics very well done. The plot was decent enough for a children's movie. The Skeksis were the only down side with spastic, annoying voices, like overhearing the Smurfs on a TV in another room, except there are eight TVs, each playing a different Smurf episode. The DVD version I was watching was really low resolution as if someone had burned it from a worn VHS tape.

7/10

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

No blasters
No space battles
No Jedi
No Sith
Barely any fan service

Sure the show is named "Andor" but the rest of the characters and story are so good there HUGE swaths of the episodes where he's not even involved and you don't even notice it.

Amen. I am nearing 50 as well. Did you like Rogue One?

It does suck that Disney has turned off so many fans with their crappy series that Andor so far has less then great ratings, because it's epic. I am looking forward to season 2 just as much as I am for House of the Dragon and Rings of Power.

And I just realized I have another 2 episodes left - episode 11 drops today and 12 in a week. I just got super excited lol

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I went back and watched Rogue One to see if my original impressions of it had changed, I don't think they have. Andor has basically taken all the unrealized potential of the film and distilled it down to a pure substance. Rogue One was fundamentally missing the "why" of it all and was worse off for it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Amen. I am nearing 50 as well. Did you like Rogue One?

It does suck that Disney has turned off so many fans with their crappy series that Andor so far has less then great ratings, because it's epic. I am looking forward to season 2 just as much as I am for House of the Dragon and Rings of Power.

And I just realized I have another 2 episodes left. I just got super excited lol

Yes - RO was #2 in my ratings of SW movies. Only beaten out by ESB, but I admit that was heavily influenced by nostalgia and childhood memories. RO is the "better movie".
Andor though... I think it's clearly rocketed to #1. But 8 year old Homerboy wouldn't enjoy it for all the reasons 48 year old Homerboy loves it.

Keep in mind too that Andor has ZERO marketability. There are not going to be action figures and Lego sets so this is not the sort of movie/show that Disney is really making $$$ from.
I think there's room in the world for both kinds of SW shows - I still enjoy the action/adventure/VFX etc of the movies and Mandalorian etc. It's great popcorn flick fun. But I PRAY they make more and more things like Andor too.

Yeah - TWO more episodes this season and TWELVE more in season 2. They announced this a while back. Season 1 was Andor's coming into the Rebellion and Season 2 is his "growth" inside the Rebellion (and I assume the Rebellion's growth along side him)

God damn, it's so good.

I have to say too, I called Rogue One being a great movie before it was released. When Andor was announced, I KNEW it was going to be great too. I told anyone in my SW circle of nerd friends/family that would listen.

Solo could have been great too (though I still never wanted the movie to be made). But they messed it up and made Han a hero where he should have been the anti-hero and more of the "scoundrel that you love" but with next to no redeeming quality in the movie itself. The story line in Solo ruins a lot of Han's arch in the OT.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

No blasters
No space battles
No Jedi
No Sith
Barely any fan service

You know, i think what i'm about to say will sound like I DONT LIKE THAT YOU ARE HAVING FUN, but, at least i can say that, i don't feel that way.

I dont get the whole concept of "i like star wars".
I liked the first film, because it was a good film. I also liked the second and third film because they were good, not because "they were Star Wars TRADEMARK".
I didn't like (other Star-Wars-Expanded-Universe-Productcode74165) films because they were not good films. the fact that "they are star wars" doesn't really do anything for me.

A film being tied to a pre-existing product can, at most, make me more interested into seeing what the new one is, maybe even bring me to the theater, but it won't affect my judgement.
Now, i may like some subjects more, e.g. maybe i like lightsabers, maybe i like spaceships, or tanks, or godzilla, so films that have those elements may get a better judgement from me, but i'd still judge a product based on its quality, not by association.
And, to be honest, the Star Wars fanchise doesnt have a enviable quality rating, these days.

I watched the first 4/5 episodes of Andor and then wasn't interested anymore. At first, i was pleasantly surprised that the show wasn't complete shit, which is what i expect these days of anything branded Star Wars. The "futuristic/western" look that SW products tend to have is nice, but by no means special. I mean, Firefly has it .. see how that turned out.
But then i found that, i wasn't really interested in the story. The unlikable protagonist that has to infiltrate the EVIL FASCIST OPPRESSORS in itself isn't enough to keep me interested.

I think, if they had used the same actors, the same plot, the same resources, but added a bit of novelty to the story, it would have probably helped.

Having to hammer on to my point, the Empire in SW1 was like, super on-the-nose SPACE NAZIS, they were as clear-cut of a "generic dictatorial antagonist 4" example as they could be, because this simplifies the story for the viewer - Empire bad, Rebellion good.

So, yeah. If you asked me 30 years ago, i too would have said i like SW, but only because all 3 films happen to be good. Today, not really, no.
let's say, i .. like "Indiana Jones", because i like the character .. but then you can have a great character, put him in Kingdom of the Cristal Skull, and it's still shit.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I went back and watched Rogue One to see if my original impressions of it had changed, I don't think they have. Andor has basically taken all the unrealized potential of the film and distilled it down to a pure substance. Rogue One was fundamentally missing the "why" of it all and was worse off for it.
Yes it was definitely a flawed movie but it did stick out like a sore thumb partly because there wasn't enough of a back story for it in the Star wars universe because they never really made anything like that recently.

Even so it was a good movie because it was unlike the fluff we'd been getting

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yes it was definitely a flawed movie but it did stick out like a sore thumb partly because there wasn't enough of a back story for it in the Star wars universe because they never really made anything like that recently.

Even so it was a good movie because it was unlike the fluff we'd been getting

RO was supposed to be grittier and less "Space Adventure" from the initial onset. Then it got "Disney-fied" as I think the suits got scared of putting something like Andor out at the time. Keep in mind too, as I mentioned above, non-Space Adventure installments bring nothing to the table from a marketing standpoint. There's no action figures and toys to sell if it's not kid-enjoy-able with lasers and space ships and weird aliens.

Jul 27, 2020
RO was supposed to be grittier and less "Space Adventure" from the initial onset. Then it got "Disney-fied" as I think the suits got scared of putting something like Andor out at the time.
Not what I read. It was a mess before they called in another director and he spent another million re-shooting to make it better. He is said to have saved the movie (the first director admits as much) and the second director didn't even care about Star Wars.

I think this is the way to go. Give Star Wars stuff to directors/writers/producers who don't care about Star Wars but are the best in their respective fields.

Reactions: Captante
Jul 27, 2020
I dont get the whole concept of "i like star wars".
Have you read any of the Star Wars novels?

Plenty of fun and funny moments in Wraith Squadron. I want that in movie/series form ASAP.

Starfighters of Adumar is another really fun one. Wedge Antilles and team get trapped on a planet of mad "honorable" warrior type people whose brains work like those of the Klingons.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Have you read any of the Star Wars novels?

Plenty of fun and funny moments in Wraith Squadron. I want that in movie/series form ASAP.

Starfighters of Adumar is another really fun one. Wedge Antilles and team get trapped on a planet of mad "honorable" warrior type people whose brains work like those of the Klingons.
ah ok, so, i have to say NO.

While i would not, today, criticize a book just because it's a FRANCHISE NAME book - because hey, maybe it's good? Why would i assume a FRANCHISE NAME book is bad, after all, maybe the writer is a good writer.

But, i would question why one would buy, such a book. FRANCHISE NAME books tend to be some of the worst garbage in existence. Be it a Warhammer 40k book, a Star Wars book, a My Pony Friendship Is Magic book, or really any product of a different medium than [whatever medium the original product was]. The same way that, let's say, FILMS of good books tend to be bad. Or videogames based on successful films. Or potato chips based on a film. Or films based on videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.