NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 953 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
The Munsters was probably the worst I've seen in a while. Made it through maybe 15 minutes before I had enough.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
"Blonde" is terribly sad biopic, and some might find it hard to watch. Not just because of the content itself, but the editing choices (i.e. constant changes of framing, color and even rate) are dubious. Ana de Armas was a pleasant surprise, though.

Rating: 6

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
This is really cool - personal pov.

Smithsonian has a new show called Atomic Age Declassified. We're only ep. 02 so you can still catch most of it.

S01 E2 - space spies - the MOLE orbiting, manned surveillance station with a mirror comparable to Hubble.

Has anyone else ever even heard of this?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
From Wikipedia's page on cortisone:

Addiction to cortisone was the subject of the 1956 motion picture Bigger Than Life, produced by and starring James Mason. Though it was a box-office flop upon its initial release,[20] many modern critics hail the film as a masterpiece and brilliant indictment of contemporary attitudes toward mental illness and addiction.[21] In 1963, Jean-Luc Godard named it one of the ten greatest American sound films ever made.[22]

Just put a hold on the 2010 DVD release of it at my local library. Must be something to it.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
three thousand years of longing 2022 10/10

This really isn't my style and has all of the hallmarks of a silly romantic novella. But with Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba, I had to watch it. They're both just so marvelous on their own.

Try to watch this, preferably with someone you like to cuddle with. It's a completely engaging and wonderful story and that's all I'm going to say.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Reboot 7?/10 ? because I haven't finished it yet
Hulu series. Basically it is a behind the scenes show about a fictional cheesy "Fuller House" type of series reboot. Has some big names in it but most importantly has Trudy from Reno 911. It isn't the best thing ever but I'm enjoying it.

Jul 27, 2020
Sandman has a bonus episode that I found out about just yesterday!

First half is kinda cool animated dreamy story.

2nd half is live action. Good so far (last 20 minutes have to finish tonight).

Jul 27, 2020
I'm curious as to what happened here:

I'm not surprised... an old-school actor like Bill Murray isn't going to have much patience with the hyper woke rules of modern Hollywood.
Bill Murray 'paid 100k settlement' following misconduct allegation (yahoo.com)

Sources told the outlet Murray settled the claim out of court for $100,000 in exchange for the woman - who was said to have been "particularly friendly" with the actor - agreeing to maintain confidentiality and giving up her rights to later sue the producers of the film, Searchlight, and Disney.

THIS is why I hate friendly women. It is so easy for them to be jokingly flirting with you and giving you all the wrong signals. And then you do something and suddenly, you become the bad guy.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazr

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
This is really cool - personal pov.

Smithsonian has a new show called Atomic Age Declassified. We're only ep. 02 so you can still catch most of it.

S01 E2 - space spies - the MOLE orbiting, manned surveillance station with a mirror comparable to Hubble.

Has anyone else ever even heard of this?
Yeah, I watched it when it was originally broadcast back in 2019, it definitely had it's high points. I didn't learn anything new, but it did have some old footage I hadn't seen before. Definitely worth watching.

Reactions: Charmonium

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
FYI bill murray has a history of being considered a lovely person by his costars, including women, so i have very strong reservations in believing anything in that story is true. And, knowing him, a hundred gran is a spec of his cachet for a film.

I tried to watch Givers Of Death but it was such a bland and boring script that i gave up a third of the way in.

Instead, i watched
Bullet Train - Bullet Train (2022) - Reference View - IMDb

Overscripted action / spy / comedy, but well made and well acted. Brad Pitt in full form, and with some really good support from Aaron Taylor-Johnson & Brian Tyree Henry.
Was fun, would recommend.

7/10 - pacing's "a bit" rushed.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Went to see Smile last night. I'm going to put my thoughts in spoilers, because it is so easy to spoil a horror movie, but there is not much spoilers here. I'm going to talk mostly about meta information about the film, what tropes it uses and so on, not much plot related.

Smile (2022) - 5.5/10
First off, it is jump scare the movie. There is almost nothing but jump scares throughout the movie, coming so often that they stop working because you start to see them being set up and end up expecting it. There are a few other horror elements to the movie, a little bit of body horror, and they flirt with the horror elements around mental illness and losing a grip on reality, and how that effects the people you love, but in the end none of that gets fully developed as the director keeps interrupting any plot development with jump scares. Basically everything but the jump scares have been done much better by other movies.

If you don't want to read the spoilers here is my takeaway: it is a fun movie. It has some unexpected moments in it. It does everything competently, but nothing exceptionally. The fact is no one is going to remember this movie in a few years, but it was worth a few hours of my time.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I saw both in theaters, and I think I enjoyed Bullet Train more than Thor 4. Expectations are part of it. I loved Thor 3 and the Bullet Train trailer looked dumb. I ended up disappointed by Thor 4 and had a good time with Bullet Train.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
That's high praise, coming from you. You are either high or Brad Pitt should be really proud :)

He's amazing in The Lost City too, unfortunately for a short while.

here is the non-spoiler free review.

brad pitt is a professional thief.
he is on a mission to steal a briefcase from a bullet train. He doesnt know anything else, because he's a professional, so he doesnt ask questions.
he hops on the train and almost immediately finds and steals the briefcase.
before he can leave the train, he find himself entangled into other stories also unfolding on the train at the same time.

the briefcase belongs to two british "twins", who are tasked with protecting the briefcase and also protecting the son of a very mysterious crime lord, The White Death.

there is also a girl who is your typical Evil Mastermind on the train; she is attacked by a japanese man that looks straight out of a Old Boy film, but she quickly has the upper hand and forces him to work for her.

there are also other professional hitmen on the train, who all have as a target either 1. the briefcase, 2. the son of the crime lord, 3. the girl

of course the white death - your cookie cutter russian bad guy - is also involved in the whole mess.

each set of characters has its own film "tone". This is not good, but fortunately, the vast majority of the film is the interaction between brad pitt and the twins.

there's a lot of good action scenes, a lot of good Guy Ritchie dialogue, and the film is very well made visually.

The occasional shifts in tone are so.fucking.irritating, but i guess i have come to accept these things and just block them out. Whatever's left, is still good enough to be worth watching.

Bonus: Brad Pitt plays what is essentially a spy-film version of The Great Lebowski

so yeah; more entertaining that Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Brad Pitt sure knows how to pick his roles. I'm not implying that THIS brad pitt is completely different than all the other brad pitt roles, but he tweaks it enough to be worth your time. And, the "twins", are really good.

One thing i have to say though is, you really have to give this film your attention, because it moves along so fast, if you stop paying attention for one minute, you will be completely lost in the plot.

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I saw both in theaters, and I think I enjoyed Bullet Train more than Thor 4. Expectations are part of it. I loved Thor 3 and the Bullet Train trailer looked dumb. I ended up disappointed by Thor 4 and had a good time with Bullet Train.

I hated Thor, so I must put Bullet Train on the see list.

Jul 27, 2020
I hated Thor, so I must put Bullet Train on the see list.
Some patience required. The twins take a lot of time away from Brad in the beginning. To the point, where I was thinking that the movie is about the twins and Brad is just a supporting actor. Thankfully, it gets better when one of them is introduced to Brad :)

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Some patience required. The twins take a lot of time away from Brad in the beginning. To the point, where I was thinking that the movie is about the twins and Brad is just a supporting actor. Thankfully, it gets better when one of them is introduced to Brad :)
I sat thru Thor 4! How bad can this be?

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Status
Not open for further replies.