NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 951 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
The Munsters (2022) - 1/10

I've thoroughly enjoyed most of Rob Zombie's flics but turned this one off after 30-minutes, not sure it deserved more than 5-minutes. Clearly I was not the target audience, no idea who the target audience is but it was unbearable.

Visuals were pretty solid, make-up was good, acting wasn't terrible (looking at you Sheri Moon), but the writing and weird merge of past and present along with a non-existent plot just led me to nope out.

Its a weird kids flic with no assemblance of "horror"

I got through more than you, but haven't finished it. I'm convinced it's a movie for those that really loved the original show and all it's campyness. Those that want the exact same thing they had when they were kids, but want it in migraine inducing color? Which sadly does appear to be a market, as every time someone makes something based upon an old IP all I read is the complaints about how they 'changed' stuff. I guess this is the other side of that coin as it's too on the nose. As the original show only lasted 2 seasons I'm not sure how well they thought this would work out.. though they did get me with the tapping of Zombie of all people to do it. Though I can't help but feel like I was a victim of a bait and switch here.. Came for a more modern horror version and got a bad high school production of a bad show.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I got all caught up on Rings of Power, House of the Dragon, and Andor.

Episode 6 of Rings of Power was OK, finally something happened.
Episode 6 of House of the Dragon was another snoozefest.
Episodes 3 and 4 of Andor were better than 1 and 2 but only slightly.

These shows just insist on wasting viewers' time and not getting around to telling a story.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I got all caught up on Rings of Power, House of the Dragon, and Andor.

Episode 6 of Rings of Power was OK, finally something happened.
Episode 6 of House of the Dragon was another snoozefest.
Episodes 3 and 4 of Andor were better than 1 and 2 but only slightly.

These shows just insist on wasting viewers' time and not getting around to telling a story.
Maybe stick with the fast and the furious franchise?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I didn't realize that wanting plot to progress was now worthy of snide comments. It's not like "don't have your story stuck in neutral" is some big ask.

The Witcher
The Mandalorian
Sweet Tooth
The Boys
Carnival Row
Invincible
Obi-wan Kenobi
Peacemaker
Shadow & Bone
Severance
Stranger Things
The Umbrella Academy
Watchmen

All of these recent shows managed to actually tell a story.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I didn't realize that wanting plot to progress was now worthy of snide comments. It's not like "don't have your story stuck in neutral" is some big ask.

The Witcher
The Mandalorian
Sweet Tooth
The Boys
Carnival Row
Invincible
Obi-wan Kenobi
Peacemaker
Shadow & Bone
Severance
Stranger Things
The Umbrella Academy
Watchmen

All of these recent shows managed to actually tell a story.
I mean the Mandalorian was terrible, it was for little kids but, there are some great shows on that list.

However most of those are much smaller scale as far as timelines and world sizes are than both the game of thrones prequel and Rings of Power.

There are a lot more settings to present and introduce and timelines to weave. They are far different kinds of stories.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
The Batman 2022
it is very different from any of the previous movies. the esthetic is probably moodier and bit more focused on depicting the city as a dominant element. it is very much Se7en meets superhero.

the cinematography and storytelling in particular are heavily centered on batman with tons of closeup shots on facial expressions and his viewpoint/perspective. he spends more time in costume on screen than any batman movie ever. there is an almost floaty flow to the narrative as you just go from scene to scene alongside him without the typical narrative punctuation of spoonfed hollywood exposition. it is a very subtle style.

the actors are very good, paul dano is pushing into heady acting territory and barry keoghan unfortunately got his big scene cut. collin farrell is amazing. patinson probably could have done with a shorter haircut and some slightly better dialogue in some of the dramatic scenes, but i will happily watch a sequel with him in this role.

i can understand why some people who might have been expecting something more like previous batman movies were disappointed.

Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
But i like the 2009 film. In fact, i think it's very good, and i think the hate is absolutely stupid.*

I figured that the series was an attempt to appease the idiots who said "they ruined the masterpiece of Allan Moore".

*i also like very much the adaptation of V For Vendetta

2009 Watchmen remains the best superhero movie ever made, and it's just not close.

The HBO series is quite excellent, too...and it isn't "night and day difference" with the film. It is very much a part of it, just the same world, decades later, existing through the consequences of said film. It's really quite amazing and timely--consider, I think, that it was released in 2017?

To respond to your comparison about the Boys: the Boys is crap. ...it's kind of entertaining for bits here and there, but it's really just crap.

Watchmen is excellent.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i watched the pretty damn good The Messenger - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790712/reference/

which some good soul has put in full on YouTube.

You may or may not appreciate this film.
A portion of the film deals with the relation between the two primary characters, Woody Harrelson - the senior soldier, now assigned to notifying Next Of Kin of the death of soldier, and Ben Foster, newly assigned to the same; Ben is more .. young, still wanting to prove himself as a soldier by killing stuff, Woody is cynical and just trying to navigate the pain of life.

The film is peppered with the scenes of them reporting the death, and each is a setpiece, and the supporting actors do a *very* good job.
In addition, you get cutaways of "normal life" which serve to separate these scenes so you don't get any "white noise" effect.

This takes up about half the film, with the second half being foreshadowed in the first half, when Woody says " you do not touch the Next Of Kin ".
Unfortunately, Ben touches the next of kin.
This bring sabout a conflict between Woody and Ben; as the film progresses, Ben is the HERO, while Woody is the failed man. Harrelson sticks to his guns as he shifts from protagonist to sidekick, and the film makes sense throughout, without any massive bumps in the story. It could use a slight cut of about 20m from the 1:50 runtime, but director Oren Moverman - who serverd in the army - uses the time pretty well. There's also Steve Buscemi who kills it like he does in anything he's ever played.
Production is decent, camerawork is decent. This film is really about acting and there's plenty of it here.

You may not love this film because, frankly, the scope of the plot if limited. It's more Deer Hunter than anything else, but unfortunately, less focused. It's a display case for acting scenes, with a farily semplistic underlying story, that you - as the viewer - may question why it's important to be shown.

All in all, a good film worthy of your time, but nothing like A Few Good Men.

My vote: 7/10

I realized that I stopped watching this film about 25 minutes in, because I couldn't figure out if it was trying to take itself seriously, or not. Either way would be fine, and I can totally get invested in whatever mood...as long as you FUCKING PICK A MOOD. But this was tossing non-serious absurdities within very serious assassiny plotwork that just absolutely doesn't work.

It was trying to be that fun and delightful assassin movie with Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick (Forget what it's called) and like, Leon or as you mentioned, Polar.

Pick a fucking genre and do it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
having just spent 12 hours on a plane, i watched not one, not two, but three full feature films.

Buckley's Chance - Buckley's Chance (2021) - Reference View - IMDb

New York Family of mom & child whose dad died, move to the Aussie Outback to be with granddad Bill Nighy; son will go from chubby spoiled 14yo to hard rancher in a lazy mishmash of Rin Tin Tin (here played by a Dingo), Crocodile Dundee, and every coming of age film ever to feature a distant yet benign father figure.
REEEEEAAALLYY lazy script. Also, role not suitable to Nighy.

5.5/10

The Desperate Hour
- Lakewood (2021) - Reference View - IMDb

More interesting one-man-show of Naomi Watts running through the woods, and a glorified ad for mobile phones.
Mom Watts is on a run in the woods, because she can just text work "lol not coming in" in her perfect life.
Once she's deep in the woods she discovers that her son is involved in a school shooting and that running in the woods is not such a clever activity.
More running back all the while talking with a lot of off-camera characters.#

NOT bad, but not really worthy of a recommendation. Naomi Watts sure can act tho.

6.4?/10

and then i watched the amazing

The Bad Guys - The Bad Guys (2022) - Reference View - IMDb

i dont care what IMDb says, i LOVED this film. How could i not, when it's even got Blues Brothers reference.
Dumb and easily spoilable plot so i'll have to be careful.
A gang of anthropomorphic animals are The Bad Guys. Snake, Wolf, Spider, Shark and Piranha, because obviously they are.
While they happily embrace their nature of criminals, at one point they think "what if we were good", although there is a lot more to it than that.

SUPERB animation, excellent voice acting, paced at breakneck speed, good dialogues, funny humour, and Sam Rockwell.

8/10 - must watch.

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
FYI british film & cinema has some good stuff.

the obvious Monty Python Flying Circus, and the practically-python Fawlty Towers. Here in the UK Towers is considered much better than Circus.

the absolutely excellent Blackadder, of which you should skip season 1 entirely.
the pretty-decent in a weird way Jeeves & Wooster, if you are into period films.
the excellent Yes Minister! and Yes Prime Minister!.
everything else may have a good reputation but i would stay away, e.g. Fools & Horses, Open All Hours, etc.
it's worth checking out some of the The Two Ronnies skits on Youtube

in modern times, aside from the Doctor Who reboot seasons with Tennant or Eccleston, you may like
The Thick Of It, starring the magnificent Peter Capaldi in a role that actually fits him (first season is a bit weaker)
Mitchell & Webb, and the less funny Peep Show

uhmm.. that's .. that's about it.
that-thats-about-it.jpg

You missed Red Dwarf (S1-6)

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
My son has been really into MCU which led him into checking out older non-MCU Marvel movies. We watched Blade a couple of weeks ago and Ghost Rider a few months prior. Which resulted in me watching Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance last night. 1/10

The good: Nic Coppola (Cage) hamming it up in a couple of scenes. Idris Elba in a Marvel movie pre-MCU. Surprise appearance by Christopher Lambert.

The bad: Pretty much everything else. Plot was terrible. Action was essentially non-existant. Acting was all around bad even by Ciaran Hinds. Directorial decisions were bad (e.g., they changed the Rider's judgment shots so instead of seeing the person's sins in fiery relief you just see the Rider and the person stare at each other for a minute.)

I know I've seen it before years ago but I forgot most of it. I don't know if I was stoned or tired and fell asleep or just repressed it due to how bad it was. Would not recommend.

Jul 27, 2020
Which resulted in me watching Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance last night. 1/10
That movie made me realize something important. It was made by Image Nation Abu Dhabi. Now whenever I see that name during the opening scenes, I know to either not waste my time or dial my expectations down to almost zero.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
You missed Red Dwarf (S1-6)
no i left it out on purpose.

allow me to expand.

british tv had som.. a fairly long list of shows that have some historical value, such as the prisoner, buit then again you could say that of hundreds of shows, like the avengers, your red dwarf, sapphire & steel, steptoe, the saint, keepin up appearances, etc ..

they exist ... they got fans ..

they just arent GOOD. If i recommend something, it's got to be worth watching today, with all the aggravation of having to find the episodes, and putting the effort of accepting all the failures a show may have due to its age.
I surely wouldn't recommend new viewers to go dig up old B&W Doctor Who stuff, and red dwarf .. is just bad comedy.
Red Dwarf - Worse Than Playing Away at Leeds - YouTube

Last edited:

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
no i left it out on purpose.

allow me to expand.

british tv had som.. a fairly long list of shows that have some historical value, such as the prisoner, buit then again you could say that of hundreds of shows, like the avengers, your red dwarf, sapphire & steel, steptoe, the saint, keepin up appearances, etc ..

they exist ... they got fans ..

they just arent GOOD. If i recommend something, it's got to be worth watching today, with all the aggravation of having to find the episodes, and putting the effort of accepting all the failures a show may have due to its age.
I surely wouldn't recommend new viewers to go dig up old B&W Doctor Who stuff, and red dwarf .. is just bad comedy.
Red Dwarf - Worse Than Playing Away at Leeds - YouTube

I will disagree with you on Red Dwarf. S1-6 are good.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I will disagree with you on Red Dwarf. S1-6 are good.
well, i dont personally like it, but i believe that it was a show that was good for people that were into it, back when the show was on. I don't see any value in it today.
If you do, i'm happy to hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.