NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 950 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Bourne 1 no, Bourne 2 & 3 yes.

and

SHAKEYCAM
The Bourne movies had a brilliant premise (the trained super agent with amnesia) and Matt Damon pulls it off so well. The casting and acting are by and large fantastic. Plenty of clever twists and turns. Not sure I've seen them all but 1, 2, 3, yes! And more than once.

"Get some rest, you look tired." :D

Jul 27, 2020
You disgusting pervert.
You just want to watch Milly Alcock nude. Tits out. You disgusting, disgusting pervert.
Hey! I'm a very tasteful, refined "gentle" man :p

Alcock is her name???? Never noticed that before. What are people naming their children these days :S

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm at E09 of Firefly and i gotta say, this show is pretty terrible.

Direction, art style, costumes, dialogue, photography, camera, everything about actually making a film, is on par with .. uh .. can't think of anything awful enough. I would rather watch an episode of the A-Team than one of Firefly. It's really infantile in how it approaches filmmaking, as if a bunch of film school students tried to put in all the correct elements of a film series, but were actually really bad at doing it. Everything sucks down to the title track & opening credits.

It's not even about the rag-tag group of badly matched characters, it's the scripts man, the scripts are awful. The actors try to make something out of the dialogue, but what they are given, and the stories they tell, are just too bad to make anything decent out of them. The behaviour of the characters changes wildly not only between episodes, but within each episode - sometimes they are badass, sometimes they are incompetent. Sometimes they are criminals, sometimes they are angels. And, there is no 1 common thread that explains why, either.
The show makes some very vague attempts at realism, but then also loves to throw in both verbal and visual technobabble. The visual effects are really poor, to the point where i'd rather watch some CGI instead. I mean, jesus chrrist, the 1983 ! tv series V had better special effects than this, almost 20 years prior.

still .. these scripts are awful.

example.
the sister/brother character, they need to go to a hospital so the brother can find out the MYSTERY of "what they did to my sister".
They go to the hospital and he goes to the fancy space-machine, and he says "oh no, they did EXPERIMENTS !! on her".

.. uh .. t.. that's it? THAT is the mystery? Dude that's literally THE TROPE OF THIS CHARACTER. Like, THE trope that describes the character down to its very basic core, without which, the character could not exist as such.

anyway, i guess i wasted a few hours, but it's not the worst thing i've ever seen. I cannot, however, fathom how this show could have possibly developed a following.

My vote: 5/10
I read your whole spiel here and am trying to figure out if you're talking about the Fox series that was cancelled after one season, created by Joss Whedon. You provide close to nothing, no links just your rant which begs the question how the hell you got to EP9, and evidently intend to finish it. Sheesh, man, it isn't that bad, and that's an understatement. :rolleyes: You want consistency from your characters? Is that what you want/expect from the people in your life???

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I read your whole spiel here and am trying to figure out if you're talking about the Fox series that was cancelled after one season, created by Joss Whedon.
That one.
Joss "my parents don't know how to spell Josh" Whedon on one hand helped create Cabin In The Woods, so he's not a completely talentless hack. Not like that guy who wrote Alien Resurrection.
Frankly i find Firefly to be extremely juvenile, i mean *extremely* juvenile. The combination of awful dialogue, scene setup and acting makes it seem like a high school recital. Every scene is "character A challenges the captain[DIALOGUE1], but captain says NO, I AM DE CAPTAIN [DIALOGUE2], end scene". There is .. nothing, no nuance, no effort, and it's just thrown there because it's a necessary plot point, but it's such basic scripting that it looks nothing like reality, and everything like it's artificial.

so yeah, it's bad.

To give you something to chew on, i like(d) a show that is also Bad, but at the same time, it's Good.
Lucifer - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4052886/reference/

.. i mean .. the acting is average. The stories are just religious technobabble ("the gateway of Zephirot has been breached! We need to recover the Pendant of Antioch to close the Zurgbuni seal !!"), but all in all the show is far more tolerable because:
1. the actors have some investment into their scenes. I'm not saying they are oscar-worthy, but they got, you know, emotional range, control over pause and delivery, body language, the things that make actors to be actors.
2. the production is pretty good, including the direction.
3. there is some consistency to the characters - despite their tendency to "reset" every episode - which provides SOME character development.
4. the relationships between the characters are tighter.
5. the dialogue is substantially better.

Firely .. hasn't got that.
Gina Torres - which is absolutely identical in Firefly as she is in Suits - at least has competent delivery of her lines, but the character is so one-dimentional and her dialogue and scenes are so ..

Look, there's no point to this.
If you think THIS is good acting
but not THIS
then i have no way to convince you of otherwise.

• Haha

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I remember Sarah Jane Smith from Dr Who waaaaaaaaaaaay back on reruns with Doctor #3 and #4, only because of K9.
Also vaguely remember her in the 20th anniversary Dr Who story 'The 5 Doctors'.

Did not know she was in the 30th Anniversary episode. (I stopped watching dr who a while ago)
Knew she got 2 dr who spin offs called k9 and company (1981), and Sarah Jane Adventures (2007-2011)

1664309271236.png

She was born in 1946.
RIP 2011 (age 65, cancer) :(

She kinda looks like an older version of that mechanic chick from FireFly.
(And has aged better than that mechanic chick. See my pics from tv show Blindspot thread)

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That one.
Joss "my parents don't know how to spell Josh" Whedon on one hand helped create Cabin In The Woods, so he's not a completely talentless hack. Not like that guy who wrote Alien Resurrection.
Frankly i find Firefly to be extremely juvenile, i mean *extremely* juvenile. The combination of awful dialogue, scene setup and acting makes it seem like a high school recital. Every scene is "character A challenges the captain[DIALOGUE1], but captain says NO, I AM DE CAPTAIN [DIALOGUE2], end scene". There is .. nothing, no nuance, no effort, and it's just thrown there because it's a necessary plot point, but it's such basic scripting that it looks nothing like reality, and everything like it's artificial.

so yeah, it's bad.

To give you something to chew on, i like(d) a show that is also Bad, but at the same time, it's Good.
Lucifer - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4052886/reference/

.. i mean .. the acting is average. The stories are just religious technobabble ("the gateway of Zephirot has been breached! We need to recover the Pendant of Antioch to close the Zurgbuni seal !!"), but all in all the show is far more tolerable because:
1. the actors have some investment into their scenes. I'm not saying they are oscar-worthy, but they got, you know, emotional range, control over pause and delivery, body language, the things that make actors to be actors.
2. the production is pretty good, including the direction.
3. there is some consistency to the characters - despite their tendency to "reset" every episode - which provides SOME character development.
4. the relationships between the characters are tighter.
5. the dialogue is substantially better.

Firely .. hasn't got that.
Gina Torres - which is absolutely identical in Firefly as she is in Suits - at least has competent delivery of her lines, but the character is so one-dimentional and her dialogue and scenes are so ..

Look, there's no point to this.
If you think THIS is good acting
but not THIS
I just wonder, if you find Firefly so awful why you are watching the whole thing.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
@DigDog

Did you finish Firefly? Please do. Coz then you need to watch Serenity. Otherwise, no milk and cookies for you :p
My experience was Serenity was quite OK, Firefly better. It's been a while.

Well, I got the idea to see them by virtue of an over the top recommendation, not to me personally but to all and sundry, by a super deep young woman with a huge presence at Rotten Tomato Forums before they were jettisoned by people who evidently were in no position to stand up to economic forces applied by the _movie_industry_. Those forums were beyond awesome. This is conjecture on my part, I have no info on what destroyed those forums. It certainly wasn't that they weren't popular. I think Big Money didn't like them because they wanted Rotten Tomatoes to be a lot more about the latest, in particular the "blockbusters." The forums were much more for real movie buffs, not public looking for the latest. RIP RTF!!!

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm intrigued. Any link?
At this point I wouldn't know where to look. Her handle at RTF was "Kid with a helmet." She explained at one point that it was because she had an accident as a kid, probably a bicycle accident, and had a concussion and was forced to wear a helmet when her comrades were not. I think her name is Katie. Definitely. She posted a ton and for a girl probably not older than 22 or so, she was super super deep and into older movies, as far back as the 30's and probably the 20's. Newer stuff too. A super buff. She was into TV too, evidenced by her love of Firefly. She really like The West Wing.

There were many other super posters there. People who were very deep into cinema. I learned a lot. At one point suddenly thousands and thousands of threads, no doubt millions of posts simply disappeared.

I got hits with this search:

Last edited:
  • Wow

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
At this point I wouldn't know where to look. Her handle at RTF was "Kid with a helmet." She explained at one point that it was because she had an accident as a kid, probably a bicycle accident, and had a concussion and was forced to wear a helmet when her comrades were not. I think her name is Katie. Definitely. She posted a ton and for a girl probably not older than 22 or so, she was super super deep and into older movies, as far back as the 30's and probably the 20's. Newer stuff too. A super buff. She was into TV too, evidenced by her love of Firefly.

There were many other super posters there. People who were very deep into cinema. I learned a lot. At one point suddenly thousands and thousands of threads, no doubt millions of posts simply disappeared.

I got hits with this search:

Here's a relevant post from Nov. 27, 2017:

There was a period from around....2002-2008 or so when the RT forums were maybe the best on the internet IMO. Tons of good posters, quality discussions, etc. Weirdly after that when the site started becoming an even bigger name as far as movie reviews went, it became inexplicably hostile to the forum and kept burying it deeper and deeper on the site, and posters left, and it started to die. IIRC for the last couple years there literally were no links to access the forum from the main page? Lol. So it's been dead for years, but still sad.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I just wonder, if you find Firefly so awful why you are watching the whole thing.
i was convinced by a friend.

Also, i am aware that this show has a cult following, and i had already once given it a try, quit after 1 episode.
I figured maybe there was more to it.
There is a brilliant UK show that is called The Thick Of It, and the first season is meh. And Blackadder, also the first season is meh. Both are excellent shows, so, you know, MAYBE Firefly also was like that .. picking up steam later in the series.

i still got 2 episodes to go and then Serenity, so ... fingers crossed !

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Also, i am aware that this show has a cult following, and i had already once given it a try, quit after 1 episode.
There is a brilliant UK show that is called The Thick Of It, and the first season is meh. And Blackadder, also the first season is meh. Both are excellent shows, so, you know, MAYBE Firefly also was like that .. picking up steam later in the series.

Honestly what was special about Firefly is that it came at a time when there was a drought of any type of sci-fi or fantasy in cinema. It filled a certain niche for campy sci-fi that was missing, and so was loved for giving us something we wanted. It really is that simple.

Jul 27, 2020

Episodes 11, 12 and 13 didn't air but included on Bluray.

These didn't get made: https://screenrant.com/firefly-episodes-unmade-canceled-stories-explained/

I personally think that the show was hampered due to budgetary constraints.

BUT

Contradictory posts from above link:

The most awesome moment of Firefly's lack of a budget is in the episode Serenity, when Wash is steering the ship without a steering wheel. Tudyk's just miming it with no prop, and no one ever notices. They mention it in the commentary track.

Firefly was in fact not on a budget. It was the first, and so far only, TV series to have unlimited funding. Under his contract, Whedon had direct signoff access to all Fox corporate accounts and could literally have expended every last cent of Rupert Murdoch's assets had he chosen to. (That's why they hate him so much and keep screwing him.)

You should have seen the craft service table. My god, it would break your heart...

Not sure what to make of it.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Contradictory posts from above link:
Not sure what to make of it.
That second quote is either sarcasm or written by someone that does not know what they are talking about. No company would give a mid-level employee direct access to the corporate accounts. It would be a fiduciary nightmare and the shareholders would rightly revolt.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

It's been a long time but felt there were definitely some choice episodes in Firefly. I don't remember feeling much in the way of negativity concerning it. I have the DVD set. I'll give it another look sometime. I have a lot of stuff I haven't watched once yet!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It's been a long time but felt there were definitely some choice episodes in Firefly. I don't remember feeling much in the way of negativity concerning it. I have the DVD set. I'll give it another look sometime. I have a lot of stuff I haven't watched once yet!
have you watched Complex World yet ? (one of DigDog's most highly rated films)

If not, then why watch anything else?

i think Amazon had it at one point.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
you should watch

Complex World - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099295/reference/

This is a 1991 black& white, 4:3 film .. wait, don't run ..

It's a low-budget film with one of the best film scripts i have ever seen.

Comedy, it's the story of one night in a nightclub, the Heartbreak hotel.
This club is owned by a guy, who has an extremely lax attitude to life.
He happens to be the son of the major, who is your typical cold-war-era Republican.
Because the major wants to become President, he decides that his son is making him look bad at the polls, so he plans to:
1. hire a mismatched group of assassins / CIA hitmen / terrorists / freedom fighters / criminals
2. have them plant a bomb in the club
3. expload the bomb, thus killing his son
4. not "give in" to terrorist, climb the polls, become Prez.

Makes sense, no?

At the same time, the club is populated by weirdos of all sorts. They have their own stories, which intertwine with the main plot.

There is a subplot of the band playing, which is divided in 3 parts
1. the band itself, The Young Adults, are a (actually existing) comedy-rock band from Rhode Island
2. the second act, a Beatles clone-band, chilling in the backstage doing drugs
3. the opening act, who is singer-songwriter Morris Brock, who is both terrible as a singer-songwriter, but also
4. a member of the fake-terrorist organization planning to blow up the club

All of this, plus a manic preacher, a biker riot, a Nixon-Frost style interview, and the ghost of Elvis is crammed into barely 90 minutes.

You know i mean business when i say: 10/10

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
have you watched Complex World yet ? (one of DigDog's most highly rated films)

If not, then why watch anything else?

i think Amazon had it at one point.
There are no critic reviews yet for Complex World. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates!

Doesn't seem to have made ripples much less waves.

Last edited:

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The Munsters (2022) - 1/10

I've thoroughly enjoyed most of Rob Zombie's flics but turned this one off after 30-minutes, not sure it deserved more than 5-minutes. Clearly I was not the target audience, no idea who the target audience is but it was unbearable.

Visuals were pretty solid, make-up was good, acting wasn't terrible (looking at you Sheri Moon), but the writing and weird merge of past and present along with a non-existent plot just led me to nope out.

Its a weird kids flic with no assemblance of "horror"

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The Munsters (2022) - 1/10

I've thoroughly enjoyed most of Rob Zombie's flics but turned this one off after 30-minutes, not sure it deserved more than 5-minutes. Clearly I was not the target audience, no idea who the target audience is but it was unbearable.

Visuals were pretty solid, make-up was good, acting wasn't terrible (looking at you Sheri Moon), but the writing and weird merge of past and present along with a non-existent plot just led me to nope out.

Its a weird kids flic with no assemblance of "horror"

I tried to watch this the other night as well. It is pretty rare that I start a film that I don't finish, but I could not make it thought Rob Zombies The Munsters. It was awful.
And I had the same question about what time period it is set in. The show does not seem to know if it is the early 1950's or modern day, and seems to reference both.

Before starting the movie I said to my wife that I think that the original Munsters was only successful because it lucked out with a great cast perfect for the weird roles they were playing and I doubt lightning will strike twice.
Boy was I right.

Status
Not open for further replies.