NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 939 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Prey - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11866324/reference/

and i thought it was meh.

To compare, i actually liked Alien Vs Predator, for however cheesy those films are, i thought they were more entertaining.
The story is a toned down version of the first film, and this time the protagonist is not Aaarnold Schwartzenegger, one of the world's genuinely most awe-inspiring humans, but rather a chubby 20yo girl. Yes, THIS GIRL
e5ca8c83f6f-1522736957-600x900.jpg

beats the shit out of a 8ft Predator.

To be fair.letterkenny.jpg the character itself wasn't horrible, but the actress doesn't really suit the role, nor does the dialogue suit the setting. The film could have been improved substantially if they went all-out and did a 1700s recreation of native americans, which this film is not.
Pacing isn't terrible either and the photography in itself is nice, but clashes with the CGI. Not that the CGI is horrible either, but they don't work well together.

Like i said before, this film was meh. I much prefer the cheesy, pulpy, fanservice AvP films - ALSO with a female protagonist - because they are simply more entertaining.

AvP "the alliance" scene:

idk, 6/10 just barely

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Das Boot (Director's Cut, 1981, 209 minutes) 4/10

One of my all-time favorite war movies WITH sub-titles believe it or not.... first time seeing it is a bit traumatic though. This is not a pleasant watch.

The scene where they fight the destroyer and sink to the bottom @ Gibraltar and then rivets start popping out of the hull from the pressure is especially scary and claustrophobic!

EDIT: The theatrical cut of this movie is actually much better IMO... it didn't need the stuff they added to the extended version. I also think it loses a lot watching it "dubbed" into English.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Excellent, excellent flick. Much better in German with subs even if you dont speak it for the ambiance and authenticity. Saw it in a theater. Got the DVD.

U-571 is another of my favorites but mostly for the sound track along with K19:The Widow Maker. Chernobyl under the sea.
So, you hear the German but see what? The English translation?

What I did the other night was start with the default, which was English (wasn't aware yet that the actors were actually speaking German. I turned on English subtitles (it was the 1st subtitle stream) and I was amazed to see that the subtitles shown were very different from the English dubbed in audio, which was driving me crazy so after a minute or so I just turned off the subtitles and never turned them on again. I just switched the audio stream to German at the end, figured I wasn't missing all that much. TBH I was disgusted with what was going on once they got into the Mediterranean Sea and just hoping it would end. I didn't want to miss the ending, so I hung on for that, listening to them talk in German.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One of my all-time favorite war movies WITH sub-titles believe it or not.... first time seeing it is a bit traumatic though. This is not a pleasant watch.

The scene where they fight the destroyer and sink to the bottom @ Gibraltar and then rivets start popping out of the hull from the pressure is especially scary and claustrophobic!

EDIT: The theatrical cut of this movie is actually much better IMO... it didn't need the stuff they added to the extended version. I also think it loses a lot watching it "dubbed" into English.
So, you like it in German with English subtitles? I think that would be better.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dubs suck big time. Original voice plus subtitles FTW.
It took me a while to realize it was dubs. I wouldn't normally expect that, that's not usual practice. Usually they do original language with English subtitles on by default.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Sonic The Hedgehog (2020)

My phase of watching high-brow movies continues. The plot of this movie is very cookie-cutter-like. The comedy was mostly so-so and the slow-mo comedy scenes were a touch jonny-come-lately from the recent xmen movies. I realise I'm not the intended audience, but adults often have to watch this sort of thing too.

I'm just not sure why I did... oh yeah, a scene was shown on imgur recently that looked amusing. Hum.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I realise I'm not the intended audience, but adults often have to watch this sort of thing too.

That's what used to be so special about earlier Disney and Pixar animated movies.... they included substantial content that was specifically designed to appeal to adults. (and often went right over kids heads)

For example when I took my nephew to see the Disney Robin Williams/Aladdin movie I think I enjoyed it more than he did!

:p

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Just watched Thirteen Lives last night. I thought it was quite good and from what I read a pretty good recollection of actual events.

Also showed how actually really dumb Elon's suggestion to build a mini submarine was and he was right to get called out on it.
same story as The Rescue, right?

edit: ah The Rescue is a documentary. This is a movie.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One of my all-time favorite war movies WITH sub-titles believe it or not.... first time seeing it is a bit traumatic though. This is not a pleasant watch. EDIT: The theatrical cut of this movie is actually much better IMO... it didn't need the stuff they added to the extended version. I also think it loses a lot watching it "dubbed" into English.
Unfortunately, my DVD of the Director's Cut of Das Boot does not contain the theatrical version. :( It's a single disc and you have to turn it over mid-way through the movie to see the conclusion. I was pretty fried by the time I got to the end. I had no idea it was 209 minutes! I thought it was maybe 2.5 hours. I'd covered my digital clock midway through, I didn't want to know the time.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Unfortunately, my DVD of the Director's Cut of Das Boot does not contain the theatrical version. :( It's a single disc and you have to turn it over mid-way through the movie to see the conclusion. I was pretty fried by the time I got to the end. I had no idea it was 209 minutes! I thought it was maybe 2.5 hours. I'd covered my digital clock midway through, I didn't want to know the time.

One of the worst/best parts of the movie to me is that I caught myself empathizing somewhat with the U-boat crew when they were being depth-charged and about to die.

At the time it was fairly upsetting. :(

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Just watched Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 on Netflix. I vaguely remember some of the news from back then, I lived about 4 hours away at the time - thought about going, but didn't care about most of the bands. Pretty crazy seeing video of it now.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched for the first time

Chinatown (1974) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071315/reference/

for may years, my mother's favourite film.
Jack Nicholson - when he was very young - in the lead role as a PI in Los Angeles, who gets caught up in a story bigger than himself. Faye Dunaway is the famme fatale, and there's a ton of characters you will recognize from other roles - one being none other than Higgins, from Magnum PI. James Hong, who is nearly a hundred years old, and had a voice role in Kung Fu Panda in 2022 and has 4 more films being worked on, is in this film (and already looks old).

It was ok. A bit slow at times, and Nicholson's character, J.J. Gittes, is nowhere near as charismatic as your Bogart. I guess people in 1974 were wanting of those gumshoe films of 20 years prior.
The soundtrack apparently also was a hit, although there's surprisingly little music in the film.
Another thing which i recall everyone talking about, in my youth, was the shock ending, which would probably leave a lot of people baffled today; spoilers for a 50-year old film, the bad guy gets away with it, the hero wins nothing, and the poor & innocent girl dies for the wrong reason.

Not really worth a recommendation in 2022. I didn't expect much and got exactly as much as i expected.

7/10 for historical reasons.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched

Lonesome Dove - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096639/reference/

Starring Robert Duval, in pretty much the same story as the recent 1883 - the west was hard.

Duval & company are a bunch of respectable, but by no means soft frontier men. They work hard but dont have much to call success. Shortly thereafter an old acquaintance shows up, and promises them a better life in 'yonder Montana, a cowman's paradise.

There's some interplay between the characters - with Duval being the obvious pillar - with the young hopeful cowboy, the lazy gambler, the bitter old timer, and Duval in the middle without being anywhere near a saint. The dialogue is pretty hardcore 1800s, and i had subtitles on for most of the film.
You can get the whole thing off' youtube,

It was allright. If you wanna get your fix of western, this might do, although the video format is horrible. The music is sparse and waaaay too loud when it comes in, so much i thought i had another tab open with some 1990s website playing a .wav file.

There's no real central plot either, as the "film" is actually a stitching together of a miniseries, which apparently won a whole bunch of awards back when. Just frontier men doing frontier things. Danny Glover stars as Token Fully Integrated Black Person, Tommy Lee Jones, Diane Lane, Anjelica Huston, Steve Buscemi and a bunch others are here are well.

eh, it was just allright. 3hours long, without much thinking to do.
EDIT: whelp, it looks like it SIX hours long, here's the whole thing:

6.5/10

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore [6/10]

1660616174277.png

3rd in the Trilogy.
i liked the 1st.
i read horrible reviews on the 2nd so i skipped it completely.

and apparently i didnt need to watch the 2nd because this movie gave the gist of what happened, which was a murder.

Also, i didnt know this series was set waaaay before Harry Potter's timeline till i saw this movie.

let's see.. where do i begin:
- What was the point of the spy? he didnt seem to do anything.
- After the bad guy was cleared of the murder in a rigged investigation (lead by the current President of the wizards), he (bad guy) somehow is able to run for President days before the vote?!

It's like they crammed 2 movies into one. The 1st was going after the bad guy for the murder, and the 2nd was his run for President.
The abrupt change in movie tempo was WTF.

- The only interesting thing of Newt's fake suitcases was there was one fake missing.
if it werent for that, it would have been obvious that she had the real one.
- If the bad guys were on the lookout for the suitcases, how did Newt get so far into the city and to the bottom of the steps leading to the voting ceremony with one unscathed? I would have figured he was target #1.
- Don't understand why the henchman gave Newt back his suitcase at the middle of the steps without a fight???

Biggest flaws:
- How did she make it to the top of the steps with a suitcase unscathed and unnoticed?!
- All the most powerful wizards around the world are there at the top of the steps. Not one of them realizes that Bambi was already dead and was reanimated by the bad guy to do his bidding like puppeteer pulling the strings on a puppet???

And what was the deal with the last fake suitcase that's missing? It was never explained.
It's like a McGuffin that was never used.

What a waste of 2 1/2 hrs

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Better Call Saul finale was terrible IMO. In general, I thought part 2 of the final season was pretty weak and it completely fizzled out around when episode 3 or so started. Basically when the whole episodes started to be in black and white is the turning point to me.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Better Call Saul finale was terrible IMO. In general, I thought part 2 of the final season was pretty weak and it completely fizzled out around when episode 3 or so started. Basically when the whole episodes started to be in black and white is the turning point to me.

I thought the ending was fitting and was in keeping with the themes of the show/universe. It was always going to end up that way realistically.

The show went from Jimmy-Saul-Gene-Saul and back to Jimmy accepting who he was. His regret was not taking advice from Chuck which would have set him on another path.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Elvis — 8/10

You have to like both Elvis and Baz Luhrmann's moviemaking style (fast-paced, imaginative) to enjoy it, but if you do... you're in for a treat.

It's not just that it frames Elvis' story around his manager rather than the usual plot; it's that it makes a point of highlighting aspects of Elvis we've forgotten or overlooked. His deep connections to Black music and his more political side, for example. I gained newfound respect for him.

My main concern is just that the movie teeters on the edge of hagiography. It acknowledges Elvis' problems head-on (drugs, the collapse of his marriage, his inability to see Tom Parker for who he was), but sometimes feels like it's built to mend and boost Elvis' reputation. With that said, he was the king of rock and roll for a reason, so I don't fault Lurhmann too much.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I thought the ending was fitting and was in keeping with the themes of the show/universe. It was always going to end up that way realistically.

The show went from Jimmy-Saul-Gene-Saul and back to Jimmy accepting who he was. His regret was not taking advice from Chuck which would have set him on another path.
Yeah I get all of that...

But it just seemed so out of character for him and like they just completely rushed him to "flipping" to that. Like up until he got busted, he was still trying to scheme and do all that stuff because that was who he was. Then all of a sudden in the last episode they show us some stupid flashbacks about him asking people the time machine question, then they go back to his boring ass brother and they show the book like OH WOW THAT WAS IT, and it was just super rushed and out of character for him. I did not like how it ended at all and felt like the payoff for watching the entire series was so weak.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
@Muse
@Captante
i'm sorry
Yes, saw that on the news tonight and recognized him as the director of Das Boot. I did not see Air Force One (or his other work AFAIK), is that worthy?

Edit: Oh, I did see The Perfect Storm, which was pretty good. I read the book first, which is killer great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante
Status
Not open for further replies.