NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 934 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
John Wick 1 and 2 - 7.5/10

Nice action movies to turn your brain off with some pretty great choreography by Keanu. Will watch #3 soon.

If they make a number #4 I hope they get Jason Statham involved. The budget may not be available but damn that would be fun to watch.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
John Wick 1 and 2 - 7.5/10

Nice action movies to turn your brain off with some pretty great choreography by Keanu. Will watch #3 soon.

If they make a number #4 I hope they get Jason Statham involved. The budget may not be available but damn that would be fun to watch.
1 was great.

2 was stupid because it made no sense.
you owe a guy a blood debt. he wants you to kill his sister so he can get a seat at the leadership table.
surely, even a blood debt can't involve killing leadership.
Woody Woodpecker: this could have been all avoided if he went to the police
(ie: told the leadership, of which he knows the sister well)

3 was good action.

can't wait till 4 comes out in march 2023

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Very cool. I live to serve.

Sometimes I feel like the only person on this plane of reality that thinks shit like this is interesting.

But I've got a test for you. There's a new 30 minute show they have that also just debuted. "History's Crazy Rich Ancients." Take another look at that last word since you probably slid right over it.

Yup - Homes and parties of the ancients. This will hopefully be the softest core history you see. But you know, I'm cool with it. I never would have known that Foucault was Louis the 14th's treasurer (or some such - pablum history slowly begins to dissolve). And if it gets the Enquirer readers to tune in, that is just plain fantastic.

Yeap - I was already aware of that one. Looking forward to the stupidity of it :) (seriously. I am)

• Haha
Reactions: Charmonium

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i mean .. it's not THAT bad ..
but it's essentially just stuntmen doing stunts without a director to decide how stunts are to be filmed, so as to not suck balls.
It's the "do not suck balls" that they aren't getting right.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Thor: Love & Thunder

Rating it as an action/comedy I give it a 9/10. Best Marvel movie I've seen, I think, and it holds up well against other action franchises and comedy franchises. Would watch again.

montsa007

Jul 19, 2022
Minions - Rise of the Gru
Watched it in a Theatre, would give it 7.5/10
Some scenes were very cool, expected the climax to last a bit longer, the friendship between & knuckle guy was very good.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched everyone's favourite coke-fed 16yo, Judy Garland, in her epic role as Dorothy in

The Wizard Of Oz - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/reference/

in glorious 4k restoration.

Man what a film.
Working backward, i remember voting this film 9.5/10, im not sure why i docked it half a point, possibly due to the idiotic "you always had the power" ending, although it works in the film anyway. Regardless of that, this is a glorious film that is as good today as it was *does math* 80 years ago. EIGHTY YEARS !!

Also, there's more singing than i had remembered, and the angry trees throwing apples look really stupid. But hey, you can't have everything.

.. i'm not gonna spend hours praising this film. It's great. The evil soldiers are great, the munchkins are great, the evil witch is great, the wizard is great, even the last-last ending is great. The visuals are stunning, the art style of the sets is incredible - provided you like campy stuff (and you should, damn Flash Gordon haters) - and explodes off the screen due to the contrast with the initial black & white (more like black & sepia) scenes.

Judy is shockingly good as the polite midwestern girl, and man, she had a voice on her
SHE WAS SIXTEEN !!

you know what, i'm an idiot. 10 out of 10.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i also watched

Linda Lovelace For President - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074800/reference/

starring none other than the famous LL.
A D.C. committee decides to propose an unusual candidate to throw a spanner in the election, and LL is at the peak of her popularity because of the success of Deep Throat (i know, it's a very meta film). LL goes on campaign, where she meets a host of weird, quirky characters.

This absurdist / satyrical / camp / sexploitation comedy (with very little nudity) is similar to many other 70s films i have previously reviewed, get a bunch of cheap, whacky actors, have them throw the weirdest roles they can at the screen, and hope something sticks. Linda Lovelace is surprisingly charming and fun to watch, and the film is not bad, nothing like the "experimental" Greaser's Palace, so it would be a plus for anyone looking for a campy comedy, and a minus for anyone looking for "art" in the wrong place. It's all in the dialogue, but you really have to be in a mood for period film to get anything out of this.

My vote, 5.5/10 with an extra point if you *are* in the mood.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i also watched, again - and without shame or remorse

Ghostbusters: Afterlife - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4513678/reference/

and i am surprised at how competent this film is. First off, a mention to the audio, that is really well made. As for the rest, story, characters, etc . they are all up to good standards, and the story both makes sense on its own, but also ties in well with the old film, without needing nostalgia to prop it up.
I did not mind the ending with both the 3 ghostbusters and the very ghost of Egon showing up.

I think those accusing the film of nostalgia hogging and generally hating on it, are being unreasonable. Which in itself is kinda reasonable, in the light of the OTHER ghostbusters film, the one we don't speak of.

7/10 - stop being such a killjoy.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Boys Season 3 'finale episode' 5/10

WTF is this garbage of old tired tropes and plot holes???
(The rest of season 3 was great.)

My enemy is now my friend?!
seemed so forced.

And how the hell did she survive when everyone else got killed?! And this was his biggest blast yet.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Minions - The Rise of Gru 5/10 plot is all over the place. But the eight year olds liked it so there is that.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Old Man - FX - 2022 series 8/10

Tonight was the season finale. I really like this show but I'm not sure why. It's very slow but a decent amount is revealed in each episode. This something where if you liked lost and forgave them for that so-called ending, this is prob your deal.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Old Man - FX - 2022 series 8/10

Tonight was the season finale. I really like this show but I'm not sure why. It's very slow but a decent amount is revealed in each episode. This something where if you liked lost and forgave them for that so-called ending, this is prob your deal.
ug.. hated Lost's finale episode.
seems like those 2 directors suck at ending a series. (ie: GoT)

edit:
but i'll probably watch Old Man.
seems like what 'Wolverine 3' should have been. (ie: badass Old Man Logan arc from the comics instead of wimpy emo limo driver Logan)

Last edited:
Reactions: Charmonium

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Dredd(2012) - 8/10

Underrated film and I'm not really even into comic book movies. Its ridiculous that we haven't seen several sequels or even a mini series considering all the MCU garbage Disney has been pumping out.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i dont have the same opinion on the 2012 version (oh yeah, because i totally am going to bring in the 1995 version too), i think it's properly rated, with some few who like it more than they should.
The reason is that the film is really limited in scope.

1. the setup of the characters; Dredd will conflict with the rookie Anderson, on her mission to get her wings.
They will bust into a building and take down a group of drug-dealing criminals.

First point, is Dredd isn't the protagonist here, Anderson is. Or isn't , the same way that the couple Reese/Connor are not the protagonists of The Terminator.

2. they bust into the building and start a prolonged firefight, and while Anderson tries to paint a scene of being in a tight spot, at risk, IN DANGER, on the other hand Dredd is comically overpowered and nonchalantly destroys everything in his path.

Now, this wouldn't be toooo bad, because the original Dredd character was a comical caricature of an obtuse, stupid, fascist policeman, and would totally work as an over-the-top cringe comedy. Karl Urban isn't bad as Dredd (while Stallone is MAGNIFICENT), but the film lacks the comedy content that in the 1995 film comes from campy exageration and excess.

3. they encounter no real hindrances and progress to the top floor where they just shoot a girl and the movie is over.
Anderson has a baby-sized character arc, Dredd is pleased (to the point of ignoring her law-breaking) and gives her wings.

Eh ... it's okaish.
I mean, the 1995 film is absolutely atrocious, but it succeeds in giving us a few brief laughs that are in the correct tone for the Dredd universe. The 2012 film tries to do its own things, and it comes across as a mediocre buddy cop film, i'm surprised they didnt think of starring Denzel Washington as Dredd. Just because they did everything else well, it doesn't mean the film actually has quality.

6/10 - 2012 version
6/10 - 1995 version
They both have qualities, they both have faults.
I know which one i would pick for costumes, though.
4750b229-fe5d-4cb1-a025-2189d5bb8332.jpg

Jul 27, 2020
Lightyear - 6/10
Story 5/10
Visuals 8/10

I think this is hands down the best realistic looking CGI movie from Pixar to date, with exquisite lighting and shading.

Chris Evans' voiceover felt lazy and inconsistent. He had a tendency to return to his normal voice instead of the deeper, more confident voice that Buzz Lightyear's character requires.

Story might appeal more to the younger audience than adults. It seemed pretty silly.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I thought the 2012 version of Dredd was a great action flick. I haven't seen the 1995 version for the usual reason re Stallone movies, they typically just don't draw my interest at all.

If I were to categorise Dredd 2012, I'd file it with other action flicks like say the Riddick movies, and in that category it excels IMO.

The Night Manager (2016)

It's on Amazon Prime UK at the moment and it was enjoyable enough, but not in the same league as the 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' series with Alec Guinness or the TTSS 2011 movie.

Cats (2019)

Amazon prime UK again. I got 30 minutes in and couldn't take any more, I tried it out of morbid curiosity. For me, in my argument against making live action movies where CGI is required to make the guts of the movie work, then don't make it, this film is a prime example. Aside from this film failing to draw my curiosity at all, the musical numbers being 'okay, but is there a point to this?', the funny thing that really got my goat was.... they CGI'd cat tails on the actors, but at no point that I observed did the tails or the actors act like cats do. Much like that meme about medeival artists who have never seen animal x before and attempt to draw it from someone else's description. Alternatively, it's like they got someone to direct a new version of Watership Down but armed with the only nugget of knowledge about rabbits is that they like to fuck a lot.

CGI again: So what if the source material is the stage? If they felt bound to that format, then they should have left it on the stage. If you're going to do a film of it, then do a beautiful animation or CGI the whole thing, but DO SOMETHING INTERESTING WITH IT. Unlike a lot of people (I understand), I didn't find the CGI to be that disturbing, it was just part of a failed overall presentation.

Central Intelligence (2016)

A pretty forgettable comedy movie IMO. If you catch a few clips on YouTube and you find them to be absolute side-splitters then maybe you're the intended audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.