NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 932 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The Bear - 9.5/10

Relatively new show on FX/Hulu with a pretty impressive pedigree of producers staring Jeremy Allen White (Shameless).
I was blown away. What a great great show and just told an amazingly artistic and creative way. And episode 7? Holy crap. A 17 mins one-take scene that is PURE chaos and insanity. I watched it (seemed like 5 mins long it was so engrossing) then realized "wait, was that all one take?" Googled it and sure as hell, it was. Hulu even broadcasts it without commercials to showcase it. Allen White has a monologue at the beginning of Ep 8 that will likely be used as study material in acting classes for years to come.

Anyways... great show. Great cast. Great acting. Great cinematography and directing. I admit it probably won't be for everyone, but it hit all the right notes for me. I only deducted .5 from a perfect show because there's a "twist" at the end that doesn't make much sense. It might be explained better if there is a season 2? Even fans online had trouble explaining exactly what happened and why.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
LetterKenny spin off
cut.jpg

the main character was a gag role in LetterKenny as the actor/creator was playing two roles.
this series while chock full of comedy bits has more of a plot than the absurdist Letterkenny. features some notable pro hockey players (most of those tooth gaps are real.) very canadian humor but funny regardless.

funniest thing since brooklyn99 was in its prime.

Unpopular opinion - Shoresey is better than LK. I've watched the season 3 times already.
Having a straight storyline just makes it "better".
Sticks are unbelievable.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Steve Martin is pissed Selena Gomez didn't get nominated for an Emmy. Well duh, she can barely act.

Now Eleven and Max getting snubbed in stranger things, those girls are really good

Reactions: igor_kavinski

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
She's cute and thats about all.
Much like Megan Fox before her, she is hired for her looks. And before that? Pamela Anderson.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Steve Martin is pissed Selena Gomez didn't get nominated for an Emmy. Well duh, she can barely act.

Now Eleven and Max getting snubbed in stranger things, those girls are really good

Sadie Sink, yes. Milly Bobby Brown? I dunno. She has some good/great moments, but overall, I don't think she's that great. To be honest, all those kids in Stranger Things aren't that great.

Neither should be up for an Emmy though.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Will it make any sense to watch if one hasn't seen Letterkenny? A lot of people seem to be talking about Shoresy lately, and I'm getting curious.

You will miss a LITTLE bit. I think you're more than safe to watch it as "stand alone".
My son (21) watched Shorsey without watching LK and he FINALLY had to admit that I was right about a TV show (he LOVED it).

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Sadie Sink, yes. Milly Bobby Brown? I dunno. She has some good/great moments, but overall, I don't think she's that great. To be honest, all those kids in Stranger Things aren't that great.

Neither should be up for an Emmy though.

I thought Brown was the best out of all of them and quite good in all seasons. She has to most emotional rollercoaster role to cover from frightened abused child to angry powerful superhero to someone adjusting to human life after being raised in a lab and everything in between - and I think she does it very very well. Her flashbacks are another roller coaster ride. I love her. And Sadie Sink is very good too. Out of all the cast, those two are the best.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
So I finally got around to finishing The Boys Season 2.

It was OK, not great, which led to me taking a several month break between episodes 6 and 7. The biggest problem in my opinion is the reveal about what was responsible for the exploding domes seems to invalidate why the domes exploded in the first place.

Jul 27, 2020
And Sadie Sink is very good too.
She is unlike any girl I've seen before. Would appreciate if someone can post a pic of another actress who looks like Sadie. She's unique. I don't know why I feel just by looking at her face that she is a very kind person in real life.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So I finally got around to finishing The Boys Season 2.

It was OK, not great, which led to me taking a several month break between episodes 6 and 7. The biggest problem in my opinion is the reveal about what was responsible for the exploding domes seems to invalidate why the domes exploded in the first place.
what plot hole did you see with the exploding heads?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
what plot hole did you see with the exploding heads?
The person who exploded the heads didn't gain from exploding them when they were exploded. Said person gained in the end but are we supposed to believe that they pulled an Emperor Palpatine and manipulated every action in that story line to get that result? 'Cuz if they didn't the projected end result was definitely not in their favor when the heads popped.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Boys, Season 3 eps1+2 9/10

starts off slow and cringy then picks up alot.

i actually laughed hard at Butcher going thru the metal detector.
it beeped because of his gun, but the guard lets him thru with it.
then the scene shows He was going to a gun show.
laughed at the irony of the metal detector there

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Started season 6 of SNL. Not only does it look terrible but the comedy is piss poor. They got a whole new cast, most of them suck. Some are OK but not shining here. They also had a couple new writers and producers. Nobody is coming across as funny, not even the guest hosts who are usually damn good. Nice thing is most of them will not be back for the next season. Bad news is the next season does not improve, according to fan reviews.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Will it make any sense to watch if one hasn't seen Letterkenny? A lot of people seem to be talking about Shoresy lately, and I'm getting curious.
i have only watched a handful of Letterkenny episodes and Shoresy is perfectly accessible. shoresy the character only had maybe 20min of scenes over 9 seasons of LK, because it was the main cast actor playing a 2nd character whose face was never seen.

the only thing you need to know about his time in LK is he played minor league (senior) hockey, and worked side jobs referee-ing highschool hockey. the 1st episode cold open explains the rest.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched Army of the Dead. Mediocre at best. Not as good as Army of Thieves, which wasn't great. This plus Justice League is showing that Zach Snyder is seriously overrated.

5/10

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Watched Army of the Dead. Mediocre at best. Not as good as Army of Thieves, which wasn't great. This plus Justice League is showing that Zach Snyder is seriously overrated.

5/10
I liked Army of the Dead, but I tend to like Zombie movies. Army of Thieves had a kind of campy feel to it, so I took it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.