NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 931 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Jude Law got a Star Wars series. Its called Skeleton Crew.
I think they need to slow down and maybe think about what they are trying to accomplish.
They know full well what they are tying to accomplish. They are trying to wring every last cent out of Star Wars before we are all so over it that we wish that the Death Star had destroyed Tatooine instead of Alderaan. Then they will put all it in the vault for a decade or two and then come out with a new movie that we will all salivate over and camp out for tickets. Then the cycle will start again.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Jude Law got a Star Wars series. Its called Skeleton Crew.
I think they need to slow down and maybe think about what they are trying to accomplish.

Idk what they were trying to accomplish other then making as much money as possible but what they've actually done is killed off whatever "magic" was left in Star Wars post Jar Jar Binks. (Marvel is next)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Idk what they were trying to accomplish other then making as much money as possible but what they've actually done is killed off whatever "magic" was left in Star Wars post Jar Jar Binks. (Marvel is next)
doubtful for marvel as long as that same guy is still the head of Marvel studios.
(ie: Thanos arc that was 4 years in the making)

Disney got EXTREMELY lucky that when they bought Marvel, it came with that guy.
He was passionate with his vision (and probably loyal to Stan Lee) and stuck to his guns, deflecting Disney interference many,many,many times.

After he made the BOATLOAD OF $$$ from Ironman, he could have jumped ship and Disney (and us viewers) wouldnt have the magnificent Thanos Arc we saw

Last edited:

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
LetterKenny spin off
cut.jpg

the main character was a gag role in LetterKenny as the actor/creator was playing two roles.
this series while chock full of comedy bits has more of a plot than the absurdist Letterkenny. features some notable pro hockey players (most of those tooth gaps are real.) very canadian humor but funny regardless.

funniest thing since brooklyn99 was in its prime.

Jul 27, 2020
"Drag me to hell" - 7/10

Very horror for not-a-horror-fan

Maybe not enough horror for horror fans

But it really made me feel bad for the girl. One mistake. Just one mistake and all that had to happen to her. Yikes!

Jul 27, 2020
Did anyone enjoy the first episode of Ms. Marvel? Seemed meh to me. Most of it focused on how much Kamala's life sucks. Didn't have to make a whole episode about it. I'm going to try watching the 2nd episode, expecting it not to impress me.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Did anyone enjoy the first episode of Ms. Marvel? Seemed meh to me. Most of it focused on how much Kamala's life sucks. Didn't have to make a whole episode about it. I'm going to try watching the 2nd episode, expecting it not to impress me.
It really takes until the episode 3 or 4 to get going. They really needed to move the plot along a bit faster, or at least give us some more action in the first 3 episodes. I'm on episode 5 or 6 and it is finally going somewhere.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
"Drag me to hell" - 7/10

Very horror for not-a-horror-fan

Maybe not enough horror for horror fans

But it really made me feel bad for the girl. One mistake. Just one mistake and all that had to happen to her. Yikes!
Yeah I actually thought it was incredibly stupid. Nothing funny happened, and the plot was just lazy & silly.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've been grinding thru the SNL episodes and its grueling. Only just started season 5 today. Realized that on average theres only one really funny sketch about every other episode. And since theres no way to be sure which one it is, I have to slog thru all of them to make sure. Most of the time its NOT one with the guest host. Also Mister Bill always sucks so I usually skip past those. Even worse is I've been told theres whole seasons that are just terrible so I'll probably be skipping thru a lot.

Good Seasons: 7/10
Bad Seasons : 2/10

John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd were too good for this show.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Stan Lee is gone. (RIP)

Marvel is going. :(
well, if it goes, i'm glad it lasted this long.

Marvel could have gone the way of Disney's starwars (non-existent) pre-planned multi-movie story arc.

I'm just glad it's not Justice League.
seriously, how the hell could Warner Brothers fvck up execution of the Darkseid story arc?
(at least disney had to come up with something for Star Wars eps 7-9.)

Darkseid has a long history in DC comics.
Warner Bros had tons of material to work from.
The Darkseid story arc was gift wrapped on a silver platter for them, Like the Thanos arc for Marvel.

so.much.potential... wasted

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
It really takes until the episode 3 or 4 to get going. They really needed to move the plot along a bit faster, or at least give us some more action in the first 3 episodes. I'm on episode 5 or 6 and it is finally going somewhere.

I’m right there with you. I want to like it, but it just drags. 6/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
technically this is their most narrow targeted franchise: female protagonist, teenagers, pakistani slice of life, 3rd tier hero from the comics. but since she is the youngest she takes over the fanboy role that peter parker had in civil war now that spidey has graduated to adult problems. so she gets to be audience surrogate in future projects.

the main problem with this series is that they are doing 2 stories (young hero balancing secret identity life and learning to hero; vs cosmic origin story and action sequences) and with only 6 episodes they arent developing either very well. the actors are good, the cinematography is good enough, but the storytelling is missing a lot of opportunities and rushing from major developments without exploring consequence all the while spending too much time on trivial bits.

its not a bad series but it doesnt rise to the level of a something special.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
SAO Progressive - Aria of a starless night 4/10

Not worth the time.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
55 Steps (Hilary Swank & Helena Bonham Carter, 115 minutes, 2017) 9/10

This is an indy creation with marvelous chemistry and acting from both of those star protagonists. They were both executive producers of the movie. True story and I have met the woman played by Swank, Collete Hughs, who's married to a guy I've known for decades. Time didn't exist while I watched this (I always like that in a movie). This one goes to the heart.

From The Huffington Post:

There is no vanity in her (Helena Bonham Carter) performance. Completely absent are the once refined and incandescent good looks exhibited in her early Merchant-Ivory films as well as the eccentric allure of her numerous later Tim Burton vehicles. Instead, in 55 Steps, Helena Bonham Carter presents a totally new take on a woman living with mental illness. This is no criminal psychopath, blistering obsessive, or naïve Candide, but a real woman who knows she has been hobbled by doctors administering inappropriate antipsychotic medication. This is a true story, set in 1985-1990, about a mentally handicapped woman in her 40’s, who with the dogged persistence of her lawyers (played to perfection by Hilary Swank and Jeffrey Tambor), takes on the California court system to win justice for hundreds of thousands of competent mental patients, who have suffered, as Swank’s character states, “chemical rape.”

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
played to perfection by Hilary Swank
That reminds me, Hilary Swank has a good supporting role in The Hunt (7/10)

She plays the villain

The heroine plays a badass. For an actress I had never seen before, I found her impressive.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just noticed something in Wayne's World I never noticed before.
They have a cable access show, but its on channel 10, which does not make sense especially for Chicago. Most likely it would be in the 20's or even the 30's.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I just noticed something in Wayne's World I never noticed before.
They have a cable access show, but its on channel 10, which does not make sense especially for Chicago. Most likely it would be in the 20's or even the 30's.
There was no chicago broadcast 10. 2,5,7,9,11 were taken. Cable could have been slotted on 10, but would have been more likely in the 60's to put it into nowhere land and given something else better standing.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I've been grinding thru the SNL episodes and its grueling. Only just started season 5 today. Realized that on average theres only one really funny sketch about every other episode. And since theres no way to be sure which one it is, I have to slog thru all of them to make sure. Most of the time its NOT one with the guest host. Also Mister Bill always sucks so I usually skip past those. Even worse is I've been told theres whole seasons that are just terrible so I'll probably be skipping thru a lot.

on youtube? or, where?

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010

The first few seasons had some great moments when it first came out, so different than anything at the time. It did not age well. IMO there is a lot of good SNL stuff in the nineties and early 2000's but like you said, you have to weed through a lot of crap.
The more recent highlights for me are Weekend Update, and the political stuff.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
on youtube? or, where?
Theres a lot of places. They actually tried releasing some seasons officially on DVD, but they had to pay a lot of money to license the music again. Eventually they stopped that. Then they put almost all of the seasons on Netflix, without music.
That went over like a lead balloon. So they not only stopped putting them up but they took em down long before I had a chance to finish them.
NBC has most of them now for streaming.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
being a fan of the show, i watched

The Bob's Burgers Movie - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7466442/reference/

meh.
Had a decent plot for a normal episode, stretched out longer than it needed, and filled with long, pointless songs. At 100 minutes, it could have been a solid 20 minutes shorter and it would have been better.
Know that, i like BB songs. They are meant to be weird, awkward, bad songs because they are the imagination of the bad, weird and awkward characters that populate the show. There is both no need to make them into full length passable songs, and it also shows a failing to understand the show.

6/10 - best stick with the TV series.

Status
Not open for further replies.