NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 930 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the first season was better than Star Trek. They addressed serious social issues in an intelligent manner and still managed to have fun.
The female Maclon baby episode is a superb example.

Then they wrecked it in season 3 with the heavy handed female Maclon episode.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm 2 episodes behind, but seasons 1 & 2 keep me coming back. I don't know for how long though.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well, let's see how i do for a review.

I sat down, expecting to hate it, and watched Multiverse Of Madness.

Because, i hated the cameo of Dr Strange is the latest Spider Man, and i figured i was gonna get more of the same.
And, i didn't really like the first Dr Strange either.

i also hated the very first scene, so i was getting ready to shut it down, or idk, zoom through it.

Instead, i got one of the best films of the year, and probably the best Marvel movie i've ever seen.

We start in-media-res with Dr Strange and a unnamed girl trying to escape a CGI monster. They fail and and thrown into a kind of a portal, it's very confusing.
The film starts as they come through the portal, and Dr Strange appears, looking over the body of the very Dr Strange that just a few seconds ago was murdered by the CGI monster.

Yep, it appears *girl* has the power to hop between multiverses, and she just randomly runs into the Dr Strange from our universe.

The plot is that the bad guy wants to kill this girl, to steal her power; this is Bad(tm) because then they would rule all the multiverses, and we dont want that.
The bad guy has a initial fight with Dr Strange, girl, and the entire group of useless mages who court around Dr Strange, whoppin' they' ass.

Dr Strange & girl are sent into another universe and they need to do the thing that can give them a fighting chance.
They do the thing and then they fight the bad guy. Cue the finale.

So, avoiding any spoilers,
1. Benedict Cumberbatch was not as horribad as he normally is. He had even some depth of acting, not much, but tons by his usual standards.
2. the Bad Guy is the real winner, excellent acting all around.
3. a villain with a relatable motivation.
4. a plot that MAKES SENSE.
5. the sidekick was not horrible.
6. the secondary characters are kept in their place.
7. the fight scenes are realistic, sorta, or at least, they maintain the rules set by their universe.
8. proper pacing, good exposition, and a bit of mystery

all these are important of their own, but they really come together with the fact that, this film is absolutely spectacular from a visual point of view. There is both an incredible artistry in the onscreen visuals, and also the direction and camerawork are fresh, interesting.
Director is none other than Sam Raimi.

MoM is an absolute delight, and by far the best marvel movie i have ever seen.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
holy shit, i just watched
Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9419884/reference/

what a fucking movie !!

8.5/10 !!
I have a slightly lower opinion than you do of the movie:

but yes, the bad guy was a surprise twist

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
longest title ever?
Teen Titans Go! & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18250460/reference/

horrible, and it doesnt understand what TTG is about.

The Teen Titans are doing their usual stuff, when another group of superheroes - all obviously female - need to do some superhero shit, thus proving they have no fucking idea what TTG is about.

The very point of TTG is that it's a SPOOF OF THE SUPERHERO GENRE.
After the late 80s shift of superheroes into darker character, the same traits were later attached to newly-minted heroes designed for a younger audience. Not that you are supposed to relate to, idk, Frank Miller's Batman, but here we are. So you get Nightwing, which is a teenage tormented antihero, whose idea of angst is exactly the idea of angst a 15-yo would have.

TTG starts by saying, isn't this good grounds for a comedy? If these are 15yo kids, what happens when they are *not* fighting crime? What happens when they go for a pizza run?

Instead TTG&DCSHG:MITM (lol) totally doesnt get this, and does a straight-up Capt Marvel impersonation by having a dozen empowered strong woman superhero characters do the thing male superhero characters do but in a girly way and without any of the character.

4.5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Block Party - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15035246/reference/

basically the same shit as ^, but with the "minority group" being blacks instead of girls.

BP is the story of a young handsome girl who is at Harvard and her family of mother & father who love each other very much are a very positive influence on her with the HORRIBLE trait of having being just and fair but just a little bit strict.
Because of this, Protagonist feels she needs to do something to stand out in her community.
She decides this will be organizing a Block Party for her Grandmother.

I could just say "this movie is shit" but i have so much material, i cannot deny my graphomania.

We have a 90 minute film of exclusively ethnically-diverse characters, divided in a tier system where
A) all the main roles are black
B) all the positive and relevant supporting characters are diverse (asian, LGBT, apache attack helicopter)
C) all the white characters are riddled with white guilt
D) there is a "villain" who is a white character "culturally appropriating" who even expouses the line "I AM WOKE"

Note that, in case you thought this film had any saving grace, the villain does not conflict with the protagonist.

Also, again according to the tier above:
A) every main role is 100% positive. Body positive, LGBT ally, happy, fabulous, affirmed, empowered, satisfied, accomplished, there is one scene where character A confronts the Protagonist, and A says "oh Protagonist, i am confronting you because you did everything so well, i am worried you might think you are too good, which will not be discussed in this film, in fact we are true friends" and Protagonist says "yes i agree we are friends".
B) every supporting character serves to dish out dialogue that supports (heh) the positive traits of the main characters
C) every minor, "white" role briefly appears, declares "i am a minor role contained in a bubble" and then ceases to exist without interacting with any other character
D) the villanous cultural appropriation is defeated by his own evil (which, turns out, is "performing a legitimate legal activity")

.. you know .. Spike Lee DOES EXIST. We can do better than this. I dont think there is a single black person who envisions this shit as the world they want to live in. Every character is absulrdly perfect, every confrontation is, not - say - "ugh, why does her hair always look perfect, i hate her" (which would already suck), but rather "her hair looks perfect! - other character: YOURS CAN TOO !! *waves magic wand*"

my vote: 4/10 - some of the worst shit the woke ideology can throw out

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Bridges - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11660572/reference/

a college-age latina from the suburbs has the chance to go to Yale, but her family doesn't have the money.
Innocuous, limited-scope real life drama that doesn't have enough substance to hold the attention, but compared to the pile of shit above, is a masterpiece.

5.5/10 - needs more script.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I finally figured out where Monique Gabrielle is in Airplane 2.
She's one of the women that walks thru the scanning machine, but with clothing on. She moves so fast you can barely recognize her.

Moniq.JPG

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Jude Law got a Star Wars series. Its called Skeleton Crew.
I think they need to slow down and maybe think about what they are trying to accomplish.

Jul 27, 2020
They are trying to find out what will stick. After Rogue One and The Mandalorian, they still have trouble figuring out how to make the good stuff. Seems it happens by accident.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Movies Where Drunk Blondes Are Nothing But Trouble:

I can only think of two right now -

License to Drive.
Blind Date.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The Northman

How the hell did this get 89% on Rotten Tomatoes? The script and story are bad and the acting is even worse. My wife, who likes viking shows, wanted her two hours back.

4/10

And it SHOULD be 3/10 for making both Anya Taylor Joy and Nicole Kidman look completely terrible, though at least in Nicole's case that might have just been the overload of really bad plastic surgery.

Edited: I forgot to add that Skarsgard would have been a more imposing viking berserker if he didn't have the posture of Gostoc from Elden Ring (even in the final scene).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.